“"BEST of the BEST WESTERN"”

Best Western Las Mercedes
Ranked #13 of 50 Hotels in Managua
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Expat here and on the road again. My first adventure to Nicaragua and what a great hotel. Yes, it is right across the road (six lanes wide) from the airport. The hotel and grounds are fantastic. Everone seemed to go out of their way to be helpful. The food at their restaurant was far better than most hotels I've stayed in. The breakfast was wonderful, full breakfast line with a chef. All you can eat included in room rate. Two swimming pools on the grounds and very quiet. After about 5pm the large pool has a swim up bar area. This was great after a day's ride around town sightseeing. Will be heading back again.

Room Tip: Use the free shuttle to and from the airport. If you have a death wish... try and cross 6 lanes of v...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank coatiman

Reviewed April 11, 2012

For Nicaragua standards, it is expensive. The biggest problem is the service. In the restrurant, they take your food before you are finished and include a tip automaticly on the bill. The rooms do have air conditioning but they never turn them on ahead of time making the rooms too hot to use for the first hour after you arrive. The water pressure is low and the toilet did not flush. Calling for service took forever. They have a free breakfast, but do not advertise it. Cold showers like all in Nicaragua are the norm.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I needed a place to stay near the Managua airport for an early morning flight and this hotel was a great choice! It is literally across the street from the airport entrance. Walking there takes one minute and if you have a lot of luggage, they even have a free shuttle that will drive you there and help with your bags. Staff was competent, hotel was clean, room was one of the nicer that I stayed in while in Nicaragua with small flat-screen TV and clear Wi-Fi signal inside the room. The large pool was a lot of fun. Spent the afternoon on a lounge chair in the sun. It was their Sunday brunch at the poolside restaurant and there were a lot of families and loud music but it didn't bother me. Very Nica! I later discovered there is a smaller, more tranquil pool in another part of the hotel. On-site restaurant is very convenient. Overall, this hotel met my needs and exceeded my expectations for an airport hotel. I recommend it!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 2, 2012

There is no way to top the location of this hotel. It's literally right across the street from the airport. We stayed here on our last night since we had an early morning flight the next day. We were concerned that the noise would be too much, but we'd failed to take into account the fact that the Managua airport is never really that busy.
We were a party of three and the first room they showed us was a little crowded. When we went back to ask for a bigger room, they showed us one that had clearly not been used much. For only about $40 more, we had a bedroom, a living room and a kitchen! They even set up another bed for us.
It's a fairly basic hotel, nothing too fancy, but certainly clean and quiet. I would stay there again if I had an early flight (although probably only then).

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade--they do have nicer and bigger rooms, but only if you ask.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Las Mercedes hotel is across the road from the Managua International Airport. There is a shuttle from the hotel, and there is always someone at the desk who can speak English and a bit of German. The rooms are spacious with a/c and ensuite toilet and shower. The beds are ideal and the internet fast. Great swimming pool and the landscape is like entering an arboreutum. This is the perfect stop-over if you are traveling into or out of Managua. Prices are reasonable with a very good breakfast included. Fresh orange and melon juice and omelets made-to-order.

Room Tip: All rooms are equally accessible and quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Very close to airport which is convient and the noise from air traffic was not noticeable. The pool area is nice and breakfast buffet great. We were part of a service trip associated with a major US University. Stayed the first two nights here in a perfectly fine room. After we returned fom our week of service we stayed one more night in a very different room. Small, no coat hangers, vey tattered towels and shower not clean. I hope our organization did not pay the same for the last night.

While this place was ok, we stayed in much nicer inexpensive hotels during our two weeks in Nico

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Should be on TripAdvisor soon (with pictures to support). "Do not stay here" link added to bigcornisland.com

I have stayed at the Las Merceded at least 15 times, and, at least the last several times/last few years, I swear it will be the last! I normally arrive late at night and depart very early (4 am) to take the morning flight to Corn Island. I lived without the luxury of hot water for several years and speak spanish fluently, but when paying upwards to $100/night for six hours of habitation, I do anticipate a hot shower in the morning. At least four times that I can remember recently, there was no hot water. Rooms are standard but often dank, with dripping air conditioners and broken utilities. The front desk staff is weary and defensive from complaints, never offering or powerless to remedy/make whole, the guest.

During the last stay in January, I decided not to make a reservation, rather negociate with the representative at the airport (who was very friendly). I am not a "budget traveler" but aware of "value." I negociated a $60 walk-up rate (for 5 hours in the hotel!). For my $60 plus 15% IVA room, I received a room which must be reserved for "special" hourly rentals. The bedside lamps were bare lightbulbs with no lampshades, there was no remote control for the tv, worn-out linens, the glass on the shower was cracked, towels ripped, no hot water and bathroom floor dirty/calcified/rusty. When I mentioned this to the front desk at checkout (at 4 am), the response was indignant... "you only paid $60!!!" And I added, "for a $15 room!" I guess the lesson the hotel wanted to impress was, "you better pay full price or else!"

Not wanting to sound like "sour grapes," I can say that they do have one of the best churrascos (typical steak dish) as well as a very nice breakfast with friendly waitstaff.

Waiting for my flight to the Atlantic Coast, I bumped into another long-time traveler/friend and we laughed and shared Las Mercedes stories for at least an hour. It is one of the biggest jokes around... How they maintain their "Best Western" franchise, escapes me.

On my return, I stayed at another airport hotel, with beautiful rooms, happy and friendly staff and more or less the same cost.

Las Mercedes... "never again... I swear, this time!!!"

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business