“Well, my room was really nice...”

InterContinental Real Managua at Metrocentro Mall
Ranked #3 of 51 Hotels in Managua
North Vancouver
“Well, my room was really nice...”
Reviewed February 24, 2011

An amazing hotel in an excellent location. Spent 2 nights here and had a great experience. The pool is fantastic, Karla at the front desk was great (I hope that was here name?), the beds are extremely comfortable and the building is generally very nice even for North American standards. I loved staying at this hotel.

Having said that, I only had a few issues that I need to point out. Internet for $40 USD? That's simply unacceptable. I pay $10 more than that per MONTH where I live. Charge me $120 USD for the room instead of $90 USD and include internet and breakfast and I'd be happy. I just hate being charged extra for basics. The second thing I experienced was that one of my traveling group's rooms wasn't ready even though he was given a key...the cleaners were still in there....no problem, we're easy going, but after an hour they were still there but were just wrapping up. So he gets his room and right away notices that his pillow cases are wet in the sink. Weird. He talked to the front desk and got it taken care of no problem.

The third and final thing I noticed was that it's not really safe to walk around the neighborhood at night. Understandable enough, but this was literally right around the corner from the front door of the hotel. We experienced one of the most intoxicated and aggressive panhandellers I've ever seen. Not the hotel's fault, but part of our experience none the less and I feel obligated not to sugar-coat my story for my fellow Trip Advisor users.

OK, one more thing...I rented a truck for over a week from Avis (the hotel has its own desk) and I babied that truck all week like it was my father's. When I brought it back I did the mandatory inspection as expected and everything checked out as expected. So as I'm paying, all of a sudden I'm asked to sign a damage waiver of some sort. They claim I broke the inside of the headlight. Seriously? I refuse to sign, and I take my SLR camera outside with some witnesses to take pictures of this alleged damage. I couldn't see anything...actually the headlights worked perfectly and there was no damage to the glass that could be seen. There was a tiny chip behind the glass, but it looked like whomever changed the headlight had taken a chunk out of it. Anyway, it was a bitter end to an otherwise incredible trip, just don't trust Avis. I'm going to take up the issue with Avis headquarters not Intercontinental.

Me personally, I had an amazing stay and I WOULD recommend this hotel even after all of the above stories.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Tania2804, Revenue Manager at InterContinental Real Managua at Metrocentro Mall, responded to this review, May 20, 2011
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your comments, we are so glad to know you liked our property, in the future we are working on providing you the breakfast included in the rate and a better service with the internet use, also all our staffs are appropriately trained to provide our guest an excellent service during your stay and the security team is always there to guarantee the safety of our guests; we do apologize for the incidents happened during your stay. Remember, your suggestions are always welcome so we can work to give you the best service.

Let us be your hand and friend in your next visit to Nicaragua.

Regards,
Revenue Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Arabic first
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed February 11, 2011

Our experience this past week lived up to the TA reviews: Lovely room, terrific service, tasty meal (and the most attentive restaurant service we had during our entire week in Nicaragua). THE place to stay in Managua. Our only disappointment: Internet service was additional and pricey, especially compared to the FREE WIFI we had received in both Granada and Leon at high-end hotels. Paying extra for internet service, at a deluxe hotel, doesn't seem quite right. Other than this, the Intercontinental is an excellent choice.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dhuds
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Real InterContinental Managua. We hope in the future provide a better service of the internet in order to fill your expectations.

On October, we will have a larger restaurant and as always characterized with the best service in Managua. Let us be your host for your next travel.

Regards,
Birmanian Montiel
Revenue Manager
Miami
Reviewed January 31, 2011

I stayed there for a couple of nights. Staff was really nice. Food was good and the rooms very comfortable. Recommend.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Tania2804, Reservation Manager at InterContinental Real Managua at Metrocentro Mall, responded to this review, February 10, 2011
Dear Sir,

Thanks for your comments, we are so glad to know you liked our property, all our staffs are appropriately trained to provide our guest an excellent service during the stay.
We hope to be your host on your next visit to Nicaragua.

Colares, Portugal
Reviewed January 18, 2011

We stayed at the Real Intercontinental Metrocentro but as usual we upgrade the reservation to executive room and we had not any reason to claim. The room was ok the internet is included in the price and we had access to the business lobby.
Excellent and a good option to stay at Manágua

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Tania2804, Reservations Manager at InterContinental Real Managua at Metrocentro Mall, responded to this review, February 10, 2011
Dear Sir,

We are so glad to know you enjoyed the comfort of our rooms and our stupendous services we have in our Club Intercontinental, We are looking forward to serve you in your next trip.

Aarhus, Denmark
Reviewed January 17, 2011

Stayed four nights and enjoyed every minute of it. I even had a nice view over the city. The hotel comes across as very quite even though there are many guests. Unfortunately I didn’t try the fitness room (usually do) and the room service.
Pros:
Surprisingly good breakfast (expectations were low for this part of the world to make American and continental breakfast.)
Very good internet connection (also a bit unexpected) - cost 13 USD for a week
Rooms (standard) are very nice and spacious.
Good selection of American TV channels.
Restaurant - relative high level international cuisine
Good housekeeping
Good room temperature control
Cons:
English proficiency of staff

Except for the fact that most of staff (especially the waiters) had difficulty understanding English this was a very good stay.
This could be a five star hotel: With an upgrade in English skills and a more cozy and stylish lobby bar. I actually look forward to coming back. Oh and breakfast staff please don’t forget to put the plate with jam and honey on the outside tables. Had to ask for it very time!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your comments; we are taking note of them to make your next visit a better stayed.

We are working hard with our staff to serve you and exceed your expectations, because you worth it. Hope we can have you in your next visit.

Best Regards

Austin Texas
Reviewed December 28, 2010

The absolute best hotel in the country, more expensive but well worth it.
The staff, the food and room were just awsome. We were treated like royality and hated to leave. You can,t go wrong with this hotel.

Austin Texas

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir.

We do really appreciate your comments; all our staffs are appropriately trained to provide our guest an excellent service during the stay. We are looking forward to serve you in your next stay with us. Remember that you’ll always be the first one here!

Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed December 27, 2010

Stayed one night here before starting our tour of Nicaragua. If you need to stay in Managua, then this an excellent choice. (Rates were just $80/night when we visited). The rooms are clean and well-appointed. Staff friendly and helpful.

Managua is not a tourist destination. There is a shopping mall adjacent the InterContinental as well the US embassy (i.e. McDonald's). Nearby (modern) gas stations have convenience stores for stocking up basics. Otherwise, not much to do here and we only felt marginally comfortable walking the streets nearby (despite Nicaragua's safe reputation).

5 stars are for the very best hotels only.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir,

Thank you for choosing Real InterContinental as your Hotel, we are located right in the center of Managua, close by is the Metrocentro mall where you can find many options to buy, eat and have fun. We are close to banks, restaurants, Cathedral, University. Let us be your hand and friend in your next visit to Nicaragua.