“Best of the Real Intercontinentals”

InterContinental Real Managua at Metrocentro Mall
Ranked #3 of 51 Hotels in Managua
Sarasota, Florida
“Best of the Real Intercontinentals”
Reviewed December 10, 2010

We stayed at this hotel twice in one week, with two days each time and then a day away in between. The first stay was in a regular room and the second stay was in a more expensive room on the Executive Level. The rooms are fairly similar (identical?) but the Executive Level offers better views, complimentary breakfast in a private dining room and complimentary cocktail hour in the evenings; I'd opt for that level on my next trip.

The location of the hotel is terrific -- safe walking distance to the huge Metrocenter Mall (adjacent to the hotel). What stands out about this hotel though is the staff; they're exceptional. Everyone called us by our names, even after we'd been away for a day and then returned. People at the front desk, in the business center, the maitre 'd, the waiter (who also remembered what wine I preferred), etc. At one point, at 9 PM on a Sunday evening when I couldn't get the thermostat to work correctly in our room, I called the front desk and a maintenance technician came to the room and fixed the problem within 5 minutes.

Rooms are quiet and comfortable. The food is delicious (terrific buffets each evening in addition to an extensive menu). There's a nice small cocktail lounge, good fitness center, and attractive (though small) outdoor pool.

In terms of a negative, the tub/shower arrangement could be a bit of a challenge for someone with limited mobility. The only other negative for us was a personal one -- a credit card and one piece of jewelry was stolen out of my wife's purse that she had left in a drawer when we went out. I know, I know, we should have left it in a safe rather than tempting someone. It put a bit of a damper on our visit. But we will definitely return to this hotel on our next visit to Managua. Of all the Real Intercontinentals where we've stayed, this is definitely the best one. This is not a huge hotel, and you certainly feel welcome and treated as a guest when you stay there.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Tania2804, Reservations Manager at InterContinental Real Managua at Metrocentro Mall, responded to this review, December 16, 2010
We are so glad that you and your wife have enjoyed your stay in our hotel, especially that you took advantage of our proximity to one of the most important Commercial Centers in Managua, where you have a variety of entertainment options, All of our staff is appropriately trained in order to provide the quality service that our clients deserve and the security team is always there to guarantee the safety of our guests. We do apologize for the incidents happened during your stay. We are looking forward to serve you in your next stay in Managua.

Reservations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Arabic first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed December 3, 2010

The Intercontinental Hotel in Managua is a GREAT HOTEL!!! It is just what I would expect from a new full service hotel in a large USA city, it is much more than what I would expect outside of the USA. Thank You Intercontinental for providing a top notch safe hotel in Nicaragua for us!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comment, we are very happy giving you the quality of service you deserve, and hope to be your host on your next visit to Nicaragua

California
Reviewed November 12, 2010

This is a true American-style first class hotel. There's no doubt that this hotel caters to the upper class of Managua. The service was impeccable, the food excellent and the business center professional. I can highly recommend this location. It took me only 10 minutes to the airport, so a perfect location for leisure and business travelers. The hotel is located opposite a decent mall.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Tania2804, Reservations Manager at InterContinental Real Managua at Metrocentro Mall, responded to this review, November 25, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank for your comments, Indeed our property is located in the new center of Managua city, we are in front of Metrocentro Mall where you can find different stores, foodcourt, banks and Cinemas, we work hard every day to make our guest enjoyed their stay, our goal is to serve you and exceed your expectations.

Harlingen, TX
Reviewed November 11, 2010

I stayed at the InterContinental for two non-consecutive nights in November 2010 as a layover for my journey to, and return from, the Corn Islands. Making reservations through the hotel's website was fast and easy. I did have some initial difficulty contacting the hotel through e-mail to schedule their shuttle for my arrivals in Managua, as I could not find an e-mail address on their website. However, once I found their e-mail address (mga-metro@interconti.com) from an old post here on TripAdvisor, reserving a shuttle wasn't a problem. I arrived in Managua, and the shuttle driver was waiting for me at the airport just outside the main exit. Travel to the InterContinental took about 20 to 30 minutes due to the traffic. Once at the hotel, check-in was fast, and the employees at the reception desk spoke excellent english. My room was clean, with large fluffy towels in the bathroom and clean and crisp sheets on the comfortable bed. Sleep quality was excellent, with little to no hallway or outside noise. Check-out early the next morning was fast, and the shuttle returned me to the airport for my 6:00am flight to the Corn Islands and 8:00am flight to the United States (the shuttle cost $8 each trip, payable with cash or credit card). I also used their taxi service for a trip to a local restaurant. The taxi was $5 each way, and my driver, Max Duarte, spoke very good english and was very knowledgeable about local restaurants. I cannot comment about the hotel's internet speed or breakfast quality or bar service, as I did not use these amenities while at the hotel. Overall, I was very pleased with the InterContinental and I heartily recommend this hotel to anyone spending any vaction or business time in Managua.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your preference, your opinion is very important for us, we are very pleased to know that you enjoyed the benefits of the stupendous location we have. Indeed, all of our staff is appropriately trained in order to provide the quality service that our clients deserve and the security team is always there to guarantee the safety of our guests to the arrival and departure time at the airport. We encourage you to visit our property next time and hope you can enjoy our different benefits such as Internet, restaurant, bar and gym we are looking forward to serve you and hope your next stay will be longer for a nearest future.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 10, 2010

A nice business hotel, good quality rooms, comfortable beds, no noticeable power outages (as opposed to everywhere else in the city). Decent food on the restaurants, although the sushi chef could sharpen his knife a bit :)

Good spot to stay if you are in town for business.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Tania2804, Revenue Manager at InterContinental Real Managua at Metrocentro Mall, responded to this review, October 28, 2010
We are very glad to hear that your stay at Real InterContinental Metrocentro Managua was pleasant and given that you like sushi we would like to invite you to our DJ nights (the last Thursday of the month) in Scenario Bar with a variety of sushi rolls and a cozy lounge atmosphere. Best Regards, Tania Guevara, Revenue Manager
Bacpakr
Reviewed July 31, 2010

This has got to be the best choice in Managua if you want to be centrally located, able to walk to an upscale mall...it's connected to one... and be assured of security, cleanliness and employees that make you feel as if your well being is their first concern. I was very impressed. The only drawback for me was that I was not a business traveler, and not used to extra charges for local phone calls or high speed internet. I never pay extra for wifi...even where I stay in northern Nicaragua. So that's the only thing I didn't like.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Tania2804, Revenue Manager at InterContinental Real Managua at Metrocentro Mall, responded to this review, September 6, 2010
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comment. Indeed our property is located in the new center of Managua city. We work hard every day to make of every visit an experience. Concerning the internet, it is paid as an extra since we provide our guest with 10 MB high-speed service. However, we also have packages that include 24 hours internet and free local calls during your stay; since the package rate already includes those services at a convenience price. Do not forget we are always open to hearing your concerns and suggestions to improve.

Best Regards,

Tania Guevara
Revenue Manager
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed July 29, 2010

I have no words to describe how I was treated by the staff. The best hotel I stayed in my life considering the staff. Infrastructure is very good also, and for sure If I come back, I will stay in this lovely hotel. Just to exemplify my experience, as soon I quit the cab, one guy told me: Mr. Costa? And I said: how do you know my name? He smiled and took my luggage. Then I arrived at the front desk and the girl said: Mr. Costa? Your room is waiting. Fantastic. The restaurant is also excelent, and the waiter was very polite and very attentive. Wonderful experience. I will come back!

Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank bccosta21
Dear guest,

We are delighted to hear that Hotel Intercontinental Metrocentro Managua was "the best hotel you stayed in your life" and we are working hard to make this true for every guest. Our personnel are always there to give the extra mile and make guests feel at home. Thank you for your opinion and do not forget that we are at your service anytime.

Best Regards,