“The best in Managua”

Real InterContinental Managua at Metrocentro Mall
Ranked #3 of 50 Hotels in Managua
Reviewed May 12, 2007

We were in Managua for one day during the three-country Central American trip in the Easter long weekend. We did some research and picked this hotel because it is the best. We confirmed this when we got there. The other hotels don't seem to be as good. Only the Hilton there was a close runnerup. The rooms are of average size but the service was awesome. I would highly recommend it.

Stayed: April 2007
2  Thank jarusoba
There are newer reviews for Real InterContinental Managua at Metrocentro Mall

Reviewed April 25, 2007

We stayed at the Intercontinental for two nights upon arriving in Managua at the beginning of a 2 week tour of several countries. The temps were high (in the 90s) and I was grateful to start the trip in a hotel with excellent a/c and a nice pool area, which provides towels and the option of drinks and food near the pool. The rooms were standard high end hotel rooms--good king size bed, toiletries provided, hair dryer, coffee maker, etc. You are definitely insulated from the gritty reality of Managua, but sometimes that is a good thing. Breakfast buffet was included in the room price and it was excellent, including everything one could want for breakfast, from fruit, cereal and yogurt to freshly made omelettes, to Nicaraguan food such as gallo pinto and tamales. As an alternative to the hotel restaurant at dinner there is a restaurant called El Churrasco right next to the hotel that features grilled meat. The adjacent mall also has a food court for lighter meals.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank chaucerquest
Reviewed January 11, 2007

I have just returned from a one night stay in the Intercontinental in Managua where we had a layover from Colombia. After checking in we ordered room service from the menu in the room. Prices quoted in the menu were in US dollars, however, the receipt that I signed was in Centavos. Upon checking the current exchange rates, we noted that the rate that was being used for room service charges was more than 2 points (11%) more than the current rate of exchange. We again ordered room service in the morning. The wrong items were sent both times that we ordered room service. Pretty shabby service for such a pricey hotel. For those who may be trying to find information about airport transport: It is available for $5 US per person each way.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank seagoingcouple
Reviewed January 2, 2007

Stayed here for 2 days/nights in December 2006. Although this hotel is touted as being one of the best in Managua and catering to all the "big-wigs"... I was not impressed - especially for the price. The room was very nice. However, the meals (room service and restaurants) were pretty standard and somewhat disappointing. I spent one day trying to relax and sunbathe at the pool but was overwhelmed by the very loud traffic noise from the immediately adjacent busy street. Pool service for drinks and food was non-existant while I was there. There seemed to be an abundance of staff setting up for various catered events... but not one person approached me pool-side to see if I wanted a drink, etc. As I did not feel like going into the restaurant in my bathingsuit just to get a cool drink... I stuck to my $3.00+ U.S. warm bottled water from my room for the day. Not my idea of 4 or 5 star service. And I am a LOW MAINTENANCE CANADIAN COUNTRY GIRL!!

Given all the places I've stayed in various locations in Nicaragua over the past years (from country fincas to 5 * hotels)... this hotel would be my second least-favorite (considering character, ambiance, service and cost.) And, for the price of staying at this hotel... that is not good in my opinion.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled on business
8  Thank SpiritBear50
Reviewed November 23, 2006

Dress code 101 Managua Nov24 2006

You sometimes dont know whether to laugh or to cry. There we were in an elegant restaurent celebrating Thanksgiving. In comes the turkey and the carver in this so called five star hotel is wearing a baseball cap. One of the guests in this subdued decor brightened the room by appearing in a vest used for athletic purposes with the number 82 on it which blended well with his body tattoos, which looked like a menu in a chinese restaurent and bright turquoise rayon shorts with turquoise trainers. The Maitre'd went temporarily blind. The bill was around $100.00 for an adequate meal, although the pretentious crepes taste like tortillas.

Would we recommend, well no.

10  Thank chefgeraldManagua
Reviewed April 29, 2006

I frequently stay at Managua's Intercon and I choose it for its excellent facilities (pool area, gym), outstanding breakfast buffet, and comfortable rooms. It is also conveniently located next to the Metrocentro mall. In addition, the staff is very friendly and makes an effort to accommodate the guests. HOWEVER, I've noticed some trends throughout my four separate visits to the hotel which suggest that the front desk staff needs some help.

For example, during one of my stays, I reserved a day room for a business meeting. I made the reservation two days in advance and then confirmed it twice. Much to my surprise, when I went to collect the key to set up the meeting, I was informed by the front desk that the room wasn't cleaned yet, and wouldn't be available for hours because the cleaning staff didn't start work until 8am. In response to my annoyance, the desk clerk insisted that they had complied with the request, because they had the room, never mind that it was not yet cleaned. I was eventually accommodated in a small conference room in the business service center. However, it did not meet my expectations, and I never received a hint of an apology. At another point during the same visit, not trusting the day room system, I requested the same business center conference room. Again, after confirming and double confirming, I showed up and learned that the room had been double-booked. Fortunately, the reservation went to me, but who knows what could happen next time.

On a separate visit, upon checking in, I signed and confirmed my check-in form, agreeing to the rate, and confirming that it included breakfast. However, upon check-out, I was charged separately for breakfast. Apparently, the rate policy that I had agreed to changed during the course of my stay, but I was never informed. I refused to pay the additional charges, and stood by the counter waiting to speak to a manager. The front desk clerk was unyielding, and even intimated that I was lying about the breakfast. (at this point, I had spent literally thousands of dollars at this hotel on two previous business trips.) It took 45 minutes for a manager to finally appear; he immediately made the executive decision to not charge me for the breakfast.....but why did it take so long, and why was the desk clerk so intransigent? Again, I never rec'd an apology for the misunderstanding, or for wasting my time.

This hotel strives to achieve int'l standards, catering to a sophisticated crowd and charging first world prices in a third world country. Unfortunately, some of their service standards are stuck in the thirld world.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
9  Thank GringainPanama
Reviewed February 22, 2006

We started our Nicaraguan vacation at the Intercontinental. The hotel has a beautiful lobby. There is a pleasant restaurant and bar. The pool area is nice, though there is a limited number of loungers. It definitely seems to be a place where business and upscale Managuans mingle. The hotel provides secure parking and it's actually located on the road that goes to Granada, which made it convenient for heading out of town. It's located next to a modern shopping mall, and their are many restaurants nearby. The staff was helpful and spoke excellent english. The hotel charges North American prices, but you're getting North American service....which is not all that common in Nicaragua. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2006