“Would not do it again”
Review of Hotel Los Felipe

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Managua
Hotel Los Felipe
Ranked #53 of 77 Managua B&B and Inns
Utila, Honduras
“Would not do it again”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Wow- what a dump. Cats, birds, and more cats and more birds. A dirty pool I would not let my kids swim in. An owner who is constantly on the computer playing games or facebooking, pretty much anything but cleaning or helping guests. Rooms very basic. Would have liked to stay at Backpacker Inn but they were full. Make a reservation there or end up in this hole like we did. Only positive point was a very kind lady and her husband that cleaned the rooms and did the maintenance and gardening work. I am wondering if some of the other reviews are confusing this place with the Hostal Los Felipe which is located in the same area. Run away!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mexicoajijic

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights. It was in a beautiful setting with trees surrounding the rooms. There was a nice pool that was clean and refreshing. The rooms were small, but had a private bathroom, tv and we went for the fan option. My only complaint with the room was that the water in our shower took for ever to actually come through. We would turn it on and wait literally a minute before any water came through. And then it dripped like from a tap as it didn't have a shower head, probably due to the water pressure.

The hotel also had a lot of birds in cages that would sometimes talk to you and a heap of cats, two very young cats that were incredibly friendly. I enjoyed that. The wireless internet was only accessable from the front of the building, so not in our room.

I thought the location was good. Lots of cheap eating close by and we walked quite easily to the Monumental Area. The hotel also served a nice breakfast for a reasonable price.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SaintMish
Maryland
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stayed here the evening of 7/24/13 in transit to San Salvador due to the close 1/2 block proximity to the Tica Bus station in Managua. I arrived in evening from Leon and thought the $12 room with fan and private bath, which was few doors past reception on the right a few doors down from the kitchen, seemed adequate enough for the 8 hours I would be there to catch the 5 am bus to El Salvador. I noticed the place wasn't as clean as most, and ignored what I thought looked like a roach scurrying about in each of the two separate rooms I viewed. I took a look at the mattress underneath the room I choose, as I usually do, and didn't see anything, so I figured it was "good enough." Enroute on the bus the next day after being in the bed for about 5 hours, I broke out into terrible rashes of bed bug bites on my hands, arms, back, neck and lower legs. The crazy thing is that I actually was wearing a short sleeve Tshirt, long but loose fitting pajama pants, calf length socks AND had my own sheet over the bed! I failed to cover the pillows, so the worst bites were behind my ears and rear neckline. I have been to 49 countries, am an avid backpacker/traveler and never had this problem, so I wanted to advise everyone with this review, only my second on trip advisor. I use this app to select hoteIs and restaurants when underway and find everyone else's reviews very helpful. So, I'm hoping to save some folks a bit of misery, and to send a message to hotel owners that they have serious bug issues here. I am home now in the USA recovering, fortunately, quickly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Anita W

Travelers are raving about these Managua hotels

San Salvador, El Salvador
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Rooms so cramped you have to walk single file, scratchy, rough curtain-material sheets and TONS of mosquitos and bugs caused by windows without screens made this a very unpleasant evening for us. The shower head was a literal hose nozzle. Unfriendly staff lost our reservation, creepy folks hanging around without easy or safe walking access to food at night. The 1.5-block walk to Ticabus and the pool made us choose this place, but if you can afford to go somewhere nicer, do so.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Constantripper
Fairmont Hot Springs, Canada
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Very budget. $20/night/fan/two beds for two adults and a five year old. In the heat of Managua, my son really appreciated the pool, which closes at 5 but we were there at 9pm and nobody said anything. The rooms are smallish but with TV and a fan and a courtyard, it is doable. The beds are on the old side, and if you feel itchy, just shake the sheets really well. A lot of times it's just dust mixed with your own sweat. For that price, no complaints.

Half a block to Tica bus, we walked to take our bus at 5am going to El Salvador. I left half my luggage at the hotel in a shed for 8 days. Nothing went missing. For going to the airport, they arranged a private taxi for $15 at 5am. In this case, double check for "privacy" and promptness. Our cab was going to pick up someone else on the way. I complained and he complied. Overall, service is lacking, but it is Nicaragua after all.

Room Tip: Room 20 is nicer/bigger/quieter/shadier than room 16. Room 1 no good, but away from the noise
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Zen T
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This place was recommended by a friend and it looked like a nice enough place to stay. Sadly, I did not get the chance because the hotel lost my reservation. I called the night before arriving to reserve a room and was told that they had a single fan room available and reserved it. I also sent an email where the hotel confirmed that they did indeed have a room available but when I showed up the next day I was told that they did not have a reservation for me and that they were full. Note that I am fluent in Spanish so this was not a case of my request getting lost in translation. At least front desk attendant was nice enough to let me use their wifi so I could look for another place to stay. If you reserve a room here, be careful!

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
ann arbor
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Where to begin? Burnt breakfasts, two chairs for the entire 20 room complex, petite swimming pool that closes at 5 p.m., no smoking in any room, staff unhappy to tear themselves away from their laptops to answer questions. Two good things: This place responds quickly to email requests for reservations (which is how I ended up here to begin with) and when they say a $15 taxi will meet you at the airport at 2 a.m., it does. One more good thing: Tica Bus terminal two blocks away, so you can get out of town fast. Also a bad thing, though: There are lots of hotels near Tica Bus and almost all the rest are better than this dive.

Room Tip: If you smoke tobacco, there aren't any.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo