“Good cheap option.”
Review of Hotel El Gueguense

Hotel El Gueguense
Ranked #31 of 80 Managua B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 19, 2013

A homely place with lovely decor. We stayed there three nights. A little far from the centre of town but a safe area and taxis are not expensive. Can be noisy. On the second night the reception was playing loud music late. They are prone to turn off the water in the late morning but will turn it on again promptly if requested. Comfortable beds and friendly staff. I would stay again but only as a first choice if it were more central.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Slightlydisappointed

Reviewed July 6, 2013

This was one of the less expensive options in Managua. The place is clean, the rooms spacious and the showers have the best hot water pressure I experienced in Central America. While the block of the hotel is safe given it's right in front of the President's house, the outer area is shady. Not the best place to stay if you plan on exploring the night life and you're traveling solo. The staff was excellent and very helpful.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ksalas84
Reviewed May 19, 2013

The hotel overall is really good, the beds, the price, the shower, the common areas, the location is very convenient, even thou there is not very much to do around. The hotel is located next to Nicaragua's President house, so expect a lot of police and army presence.

The first thing I noticed when entering the hotel is the "Murales" , all the walls in the whole hotel have a bit of Nicaragua's history painted, even inside the rooms. As a Costarrican, seen in the walls that our background and history is very similar made me feel really like home.

I only spend one night in this hotel, but would definitely do it again.

Room Tip: In Nicaragua you can always ask for discount, negotiate prices
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Michael G
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My impressions didn't get off to a good start because they took several days to reply to me e-mail requesting transport from the airport on arrival. However they did eventually arrange it and I made a pleasant landfall after a long, tiring flight.

The hotel, more of a guest house than a standard hotel, is in a quiet part of the city. The staff are friendly and helpful. The walls are covered with artistic murals and witty proverbs, although you might need a good dictionary to translate them properly! Everything is clean and comfortable and it's generally good value.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank jamescollenette
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Centrally located, clean, working air conditioners and internet, and hot water, beds reasonably comfortable but had to ask for towels. No external facing windows in the rooms but each quite competently painted after a province or city in Nicaragua. Some limited but safe parking - the hotel is opposite Daniel Ortega's house and shares the security!

Faults were a very poor breakfast - 2 tablespoons of dry gallo pinto and a tablespoon of even more dried egg, no juice or fruit. We ended up breakfasting at the many small comedores nearby. And when we hired a car and parked it outside the hotel, they made us pay up the night before, presumably in case we did an early morning runner. Although the service was friendly, they need to trust their customers a tad more.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank morris_minor_travel
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We call it "voice to voice" was one of the ways the owner's son described Nicaraguans behavior. He was a law student spending time at the hotel to help it gain in popularity and tourist trade. The previous night when we approached the desk person for a room, it was hectic as the price was not what the taxi man had us believing, so negotiations began. What a pleasant awakening when I came out to the lobby in the morning to be engaged with the son. He spoke English, was helpful and pleasant getting coffee for me and the computer set up for my use. He directed me to the shopping area while my travel partner was using the WIFI to do his blog. I noticed that the building had many murals painted. I had the son in communication about that, which started a long dialogue! When I walked back to the hotel, the street was blocked off! there was a march and discord being exhibited to my amazement because they would not allow me to pass. Once I showed the police the hotel card and made them understand my need to cross! Later, once my friend was done blogging, the son was champion enough to take us in his car to the bus station without taking a coin from us! He wants his hotel and country to be better known, to have a better reputation, and was more interested in us getting to where we needed to be on time, than the few coins he could have taken from us. I applaude him, and say.....go there! It is in the neighborhood where the President lives, so it is safe and pleasant. Water was an issue, but due to the country being rationed on it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Val M
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I have stayed on the Gueguense 3 times, ( one time for 10 days) and every time I had a very pleasant experience.
I love the decoration of the rooms, all-different and all with Nicaraguan themes and colors,total fun vibe!!
The Hotel is clean, safe, good value and professional staff always handy.
Definitively recommend it if you are in Managua
AZ