“Clean and friendly”
Review of Casa Vanegas

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Managua
Casa Vanegas
Ranked #26 of 67 Specialty Lodging in Managua
Pensacola Beach, Florida
“Clean and friendly”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Stayed at this little family-owned hostel overnight so I could catch a 2AM bus to Guatemala. It wasn't my first time staying there. The woman who owns it is very friendly as well as her niece and son. When I need to stay in Managua I always end up staying there instead of a top notch hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank BlueFoodie

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Amherst, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Our plane landed in Managua at 1:00 am and our taxi dropped us off at Casa Vanegas at around 2 in the morning. Lights were off and the place locked up, but we had made reservations and after the taxi driver hollered, they came and let us in. The room was basic- clean, fan, TV. The courtyard was nice. There was a shared kitchen (although we didn't use it). The staff was really sweet. They do lock the place up pretty seriously- padlocked the gate behind us when we went out, but someone was always there to let us back in. They arranged a taxi for us at 4:30 am when we wanted to catch an early bus out of town, helped us out with directions, and called another hotel for us to help us make reservations at our next destination. We'd definitely stay there again (but only if we HAD to stay in Managua!)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kristen H
Bridport, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I'll start off with the positives - first impressions of this place were that it was clean (lots of laundry hanging in the yard) and good value for money - a nice room with a big bed and a fan. The mattress was a bit insubstantial, but you kind of expect that for 10 bucks.

I arrived in Managua at about 6pm ready to take the early morning tika bus. This place was my 4th try as the nicer looking joints were booked out and I refused to go to the place the taxi driver herded me into. I paid a dollar for the wifi key and hung out in my room watching tv and hiding from the ghetto outside. The hostel was very quiet and everyone seemed to disappear to bed at 8pmish. It was about this time my problem began to emerge. I found one beetle on my shirt and squished it to reveal a bloody stain. My mind immediately thought bed bugs. I rummaged around the bed and looked around the walls but couldn't see anymore so decided it could be another Nicaraguan tweetle beetle. I carried on with my business. A bit later, maybe 10pmish, I found more then more and then more. It was apparent my room was infested. I didn't want o distrurb or upset the owners as the thought of being turfed out into the rough tika bus area of Managua in the middle of the night didn't appeal, so kept my clothes on, kept the lights on and was on guard to slay any that dared come close. I sat out the night until it was time to go and get my bus.

On departure, I told the lady who had got up to open the gate for me. She seemed quite shocked and generally suprised and I'm sure she will do something about it as generally it seemed like a well-loved little hospedaje. I didn't get stroppy or demand a refund or anything - its all part of the hostel experience. The lady kindly warned me to be careful walking up the road and watched out to make sure I reached tika bus in one piece so I'm grateful for that, but if you do decide to stay here, check, check and double check for creepy crawlies as I am bitten to pieces by the bed bugs today and am worried in case I have transported them with me :-/.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 13, 2012

We needed a place to spend the night before the early morning bus to guatamala. The place was 1.5 minutes walk from the Tica bus terminal. The rooms were simple and very clean. The service was exelent and we also used the laundary service of the hostel. Good value for money.

• Stayed January 2012