“Like staying at a friend's home”

Hotel Boutique Villa Maya
Ranked #9 of 50 Hotels in Managua
Daytona Beach, Florida
“Like staying at a friend's home”
Reviewed December 14, 2010

As soon as we arrived we were made to feel like family or close friends of the family. The staff is cordial and gracious. The reception staff and owners speak fine English. The "home" is beautiful and comfortable, decorated with locally made furniture and Guatemalan artifacts and textiles. It's conveniently located to downtown Managua, Masaya and Granada. The neighborhood is lovely, safe and quiet. Only the doves and wild parakeets make noise. Hopefully, by the time you arrive you'll find hammocks (that have been promised) to grace the garden/pool area. We chose the hotel without recommendation and were more than pleased. We trust that you'll be comfortable and also enjoy Doña Rosario's cooking as much as we did. December and January are the best months to visit Nicaragua, by the way. We may see you there, because we certainly plan to return!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
VillaMaya, Propietario at Hotel Boutique Villa Maya, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Dear guests:

I take this opportunity to thank you for allowing us to serve you. Thanks to your reviews, we were awarded a Certificate of Excellence 2012 from Trip Advisor. This award commits us to pursue further in our efforts to make a difference in the type of hotel services provided by the tourism industry in Nicaragua.

Vilma C. Barrientos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Boston, MA
Reviewed November 15, 2010

Hotel Boutique Villa Maya is a charming small hotel in the Las Colinas neighborhood district of Managua. With warm and personalized service, this property had the feel of home and tranquility in a quiet comfortable area of the capital. At the end of each day, I was greeted warmly and offered beverage, food and other comforts which allowed for a more personalized experience. The breakfasts each day were delicious and expertly served on the terrace by the capable cook, Rosario. Both of the two receptionists/hostesses who alternated shifts were accommodating, interesting to speak with to learn local custom and history and always willing to assist in every possible way. Overall, this was a fantastic alternative to staying in an antiseptic large American-style hotel chain. The only drawback for me was that I was at a disadvantage without my own transportation - at Hotel Boutique Villa Maya, you're obliged to use taxis or have alternate transportation whenever you wish to explore Managua or Nicaragua's many charms. I definitely plan to return!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Boone, North Carolina
Reviewed November 11, 2010

My mother and I stayed at Hotel Villa Maya while I did research in the National Archives. From the moment we arrived from the airport, the Hotel's staff were welcoming and friendly. They attended to every question that we had and made us feel very safe and comfortable there. This was our first trip to Nicaragua and we were nervous about being two women and traveling alone. Anna, Maria and Donald answered all of our questions and helped us coordinate local transport to and from the archives or wherever else we needed to go. Anna and Maria particularly were accommodating and professional. They put us at ease and expressed a genuine interest in our well-being. They managed to put up with all of our pesky questions with a smile and a ready answer! They will also help you if your Spanish is weak! I have never been to a hotel more beautiful or traveler-friendly. The walled garden is an oasis, where flowers and birds abound and was a real pleasure to come back to everyday. We stayed for ten days and never once tired of looking at the beautiful scenery. The room itself was large, and had beautiful authentic Guatemalan textiles decorating the walls and beds. The hotel is decorated in local textiles and art, and you will really get a feel for the culture of Nicaragua here. The cook, Rosario, made exquisite food and even taught us to make tortillas! She greeted us every morning at breakfast with a beautiful smile and a delicious breakfast! Rosario made everything from scratch and fixed us wonderful breakfasts and dinners. It was a real pleasure to greet the employees everyday. There is no large, international hotel feel, this place has an intimate bed and breakfast touch and was absolutely wonderful. I will stay at this hotel on any subsequent trips to Managua and would recommend the hotel to anyone who wants to support the local economy and avoid huge over-priced hotels. The Hotel Villa Maya had everything the big hotels had, and much more! Please give this beautiful hotel and its wonderful, friendly employees a chance!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed November 1, 2010

After having stayed here previously, I felt I was returning home when I walked through the doors of this hotel. Rosario was still there and still makes the best tortillas... that I continue to crave. Even though I had been there before I was surprised by the feel this place has - I forget I'm in the middle of Managua. It's more like a tropical retreat. Can't wait to go back.

1 Thank Mapachula

Miami
Reviewed October 25, 2010

The expression doesn't quite capture my feeling but it is the best i have had in hotels in this country. Having visited for over 9 years i have finally found the one place that is truly comfortable, and has superb service. To me it is like staying at the Four Seasons but more intimate.. The artwork, decor and furniture are all tastefully chosen and will please the most discriminating guest. The gardens are impeccably maintained. The cook provides meals to order that are better than the best restaurants in town and at lesser cost. Cleanliness in the kitchen is the highest standard as are the ingredients used. I cannot say enough about the staff who are biligual and will meet every need with a smile. After a 3 month absence i was greeted by name and big honest smiles by all and truly felt welcome. As i told them, it is better than being home!

Utrecht
Reviewed September 10, 2010

We have stayed only for two days in Villa Maya, but it was a wonderful place to start our trip in central America. The villa breaths a very warm welcome and has a lot of artistic details. The room we had was cosy and very romantic with a balcony were we could sit and talk and eat the delicious meals, made by the family cook. The warm atmosphere is due to the positive hearts of the owners, Vilma and her Husband. The connection and vision they share with their employees makes that the visit doesn't feel if you are in a hotel, but you feel home. Have a late night swim in the beautiful pool in their stunning garden and start your trip well after your flight to Managua...
A must visit for every traveller.
kind regards,
Niels Vermeulen en Noortje van Strien - The Netherlands .

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed July 29, 2010

I stayed only one night. But I couldn't understand why this hotel could be no.1????
Yes, the house was nice, but the service was terrible!!!! I have not stayed such a bad service hotel.
When I came in to my room, there was NOT amenity goods. No soap, NO shampoo, nothing. They didn't prepare them. I took my reservation 2 weeks before.
And the restaurant in the hotel was closed because of the person was sick, nobody stayed there in stead of him, so I could NOT eat ANYthing. There is no restaurant near from this hotel neither, the resection gave me delivery menu.
And I had to leave the hotel to an airport very early so that I couldn't have breakfast, but they prepared me only one paper pack juice and 3 packs of Ritz. ONLY.
I payed a normal hotel charge including breakfast !!! when I arrived there at first.

I couldn't believe it. I hope this hotel would be change their mind at all.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo