“Not quite what I was expecting”

Hotel Boutique Villa Maya
Ranked #8 of 51 Hotels in Managua
Destin, Florida
“Not quite what I was expecting”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

The grounds are nice and appear well gated/fenced for security. I did not swim in the pool, but it appeared to be clean with nice patio furniture all around. The room was very nice for the price. (I booked at approx $60 including tax. But see below)
If you are just planning to tour Managua, it's probably not a bad place to stay and could be fun with a group. But I was solo, so I called it an early night since I had an early taxi the next morning.
The A/C did blow cold air, and everything seemed to be working in the room including wifi, with the exception of #6 below.

That said, here are the negatives:
1) The gentleman at the front spoke broken English and did not charge me what I expected. I booked through Kayak.com, and was expecting about $10 cheaper. No biggie in the big scheme of things. So after debating with him a little, I dropped it because I live a blessed life and things don't always go according to plans.
He also had me "staying 3 days", which was not correct. I showed him my email reservation and he continued to question as to why the hotel manager wrote him a note for 3 days? Um... that's not really my problem. And told him that I wasn't sure what to say. But I booked for only one day and showed him proof, which satisfied him. But, it still seemed like he was frustrated with me, which is not the way to handle things in the service/hospitality industry... even in Nica.
2) Kayak.com showed this hotel as having free taxi to the airport. It does NOT. It was $20 and a long ride. (30-40 mins?)
3) There was a dog barking all night long nextdoor. Probably outside of the immediate control of the hotel, but the management needs to say something (or bribe the neighbors... etc.) It woke me up approx 5 times during my one-night stay.
4) The restaurant was run by the gentleman at the front. It was a disorganized scenario. It was a little bizarre. That said, the food was decent (there was one cook onsite) and there is a full-bar. But you sort of have to serve yourself and keep track of what you drink. The manager onsite questioned me a few times about the quantity. I drank exactly what I paid for, so that was a little annoying. But again, not the end of the world.
5) The taxi that took me to the hotel had to wait for nearly 5 mins to find someone to open the gate so that we could enter the hotel grounds when we first arrived. It was a little strange.
6) The hot water was not hot. I took a luke-warm shower early in the morning before leaving to the airport via $20 taxi ride.

Since I mostly just stop-over at these hotels on my way to surf trips, I will probably just book a hotel that is actually *close to* the airport next time and simply pay a little more money. I've had good luck with Best Western and El Camino Real across from the aiport in the past.

Room Tip: Room #8 is adjacent to the pool and bar area. No other contiguous rooms, but you will hear the folk...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Destinite1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Willemstad, Curacao
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This is a lovely, stylish, quiet hotel with a beautiful green garden. We had a chance to meet not only the friendly staff but also the owner and his family. They are very warm and hospitable people. Centre of town is only a short taxi ride away (2$). In short, there is no reason why anyone would want to stay anywhere else than here in Managua!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank tim b
Milford
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I stayed here my last night in Nicaragua before heading home and was pleased overall with my stay here. The hotel is located in what appears to be an upper middle class part of town, the grounds very well maintained, and a very quaint interior/common area. As for the room it was very spacious, clean, and the bed comfortable. The staff was also very friendly and accommodating. The only reason I didn't give this place a 5/5 is because the food is way overpriced because there are no other decent places nearby (so be sure to eat before you come) and the taxi service to the airport is also overpriced at $20 for what is not that long of a journey (so be sure to arrange with someone else).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank jmg1984
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 1, 2013

A big thank you to the whole staff, specially Mauricio in the evening shift, the owner was on site and making sure everyone was happy and taken care of, the location and grounds were great with the only concern being the telephone not capable of calling cell phones, but other than that, an incredible place, Thank you all and see you soon.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank rigom1
Edwards
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

I very much enjoyed my stay here- very large and clean room (the entire hotel was immaculate), excellent service with an easy going attitude, beautiful porch and grounds, the included breakfast was very good, I loved the pool and all the ladies working here are GORGEOUS!!
I would definitely go back and/or recommend it to friends.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Lodicat
Bluffton, South Carolina
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is a family owned & run boutique hotel. Clean and well managed. The property is gated and located in an upper middle class neighborhood convenient to shopping and restaurants. The grounds are a garden oasis. I ordered the Nicaraguan breakfast that was hardy enough to carry me for a few hours. My room was nice with a big bath. The price, with breakfast, as a single $187.20 tax included.
Reserve directly. They will meet the internet hotel broker's price.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the front balcony rooms
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JohnDugue
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I would highly recommend this location to anyone with a family. It is quiet, beautifully kept, secure, and the staff were great. The grounds are immaculate. Fenced in for security, and very well kept. The location is close to a major roadway for easy access to downtown Managua. The staff were top notch. They provided my family and I with everything we asked for. More we could not have asked of them. The cook was excellent. The food was made from fresh ingredients, and made to order at anytime of day or night. The room was clean, and spacious for four adults. The hotel provided taxi services, which were a bit more expensive than you could find elsewhere, but very reliable. I really can't think of one negative thing to say about this place. It was great.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family