The grounds are nice and appear well gated/fenced for security. I did not swim in the pool, but it appeared to be clean with nice patio furniture all around. The room was very nice for the price. (I booked at approx $60 including tax. But see below)
If you are just planning to tour Managua, it's probably not a bad place to stay and could be fun with a group. But I was solo, so I called it an early night since I had an early taxi the next morning.
The A/C did blow cold air, and everything seemed to be working in the room including wifi, with the exception of #6 below.
That said, here are the negatives:
1) The gentleman at the front spoke broken English and did not charge me what I expected. I booked through Kayak.com, and was expecting about $10 cheaper. No biggie in the big scheme of things. So after debating with him a little, I dropped it because I live a blessed life and things don't always go according to plans.
He also had me "staying 3 days", which was not correct. I showed him my email reservation and he continued to question as to why the hotel manager wrote him a note for 3 days? Um... that's not really my problem. And told him that I wasn't sure what to say. But I booked for only one day and showed him proof, which satisfied him. But, it still seemed like he was frustrated with me, which is not the way to handle things in the service/hospitality industry... even in Nica.
2) Kayak.com showed this hotel as having free taxi to the airport. It does NOT. It was $20 and a long ride. (30-40 mins?)
3) There was a dog barking all night long nextdoor. Probably outside of the immediate control of the hotel, but the management needs to say something (or bribe the neighbors... etc.) It woke me up approx 5 times during my one-night stay.
4) The restaurant was run by the gentleman at the front. It was a disorganized scenario. It was a little bizarre. That said, the food was decent (there was one cook onsite) and there is a full-bar. But you sort of have to serve yourself and keep track of what you drink. The manager onsite questioned me a few times about the quantity. I drank exactly what I paid for, so that was a little annoying. But again, not the end of the world.
5) The taxi that took me to the hotel had to wait for nearly 5 mins to find someone to open the gate so that we could enter the hotel grounds when we first arrived. It was a little strange.
6) The hot water was not hot. I took a luke-warm shower early in the morning before leaving to the airport via $20 taxi ride.
Since I mostly just stop-over at these hotels on my way to surf trips, I will probably just book a hotel that is actually *close to* the airport next time and simply pay a little more money. I've had good luck with Best Western and El Camino Real across from the aiport in the past.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Charming Boutique Hotel in Managua. The rooms remodeled colonial house with a beautiful tropical garden and swimming pool. It counts with a total of nine private rooms, all with private bathrooms, water heated with solar energy, air conditioning, TV with cable, wireless internet, working desks, alarm clocks, telephones, security boxes, etc. Some of them have their own private balcony that opens to the garden and/or swimming pool. The hotel: An Oasis in the city. Our location is ideally for everybody: We are steps away from the city but not in the city! So if you have business downtown, it is a 10 min drive. But if you want to enjoy nature, have a tranquil time to relax and be pampered, Villa Maya is the perfect place. We are close to national attractions (Volcan Masaya, 10 min drive, Granada, 30 min drive) and local malls, shops and the best restaurants (Galerias Santo Domingo) in Managua just 5 min away. The owners: We are a mature couple with over 30 years together. Vilma is an artist from Guatemala and Luis is a lawyer from Nicaragua. Both met and studied at UC Berkeley in the Bay Area in California. Our goal is to provide a boutique hotel option for Managua giving a personalized service to all of our guests while ensuring that our operations are respectful with the environment.*Breakfast a la carte ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and HRS so you can book your Hotel Boutique Villa Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.