“Over the Top!!”

Hotel Boutique Villa Maya
Ranked #11 of 50 Hotels in Managua
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I have been travelling to Nicaragua for many years and have finally found a great place to rest while in Managua before travelling north to Esteli. I stayed two nights-- one upon arriving and the other before I departed Managua for the USA. Both nights were terrific- -I was warmly greeted by both Nestor and Orlando. The rooms were beautifully decorated and impeccably clean. The bed was substantial and comfortable. The tile work in the bathrooms was exquisite. Everything was fully functional and the lights were ample. I especially liked the reading lights above the beds that were recessed in the ceiling- -very cool! Something I apprecated was the discount given if I paid in cash. The breakfast was yummy with a good presentation. Villa Maya serves excellent organic coffee at breakfast which is strong but not overwhelming. Honestly, I cannot wait to return!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank scrappy9232

Reviewed February 26, 2013

My family stayed three weeks in The Hotel Villa Maya (December 2012 to Jan 13). Coming from Ireland defenetely it is a real treat to be able to enjoy the weather, beautiful food having our breakfast in the garden listening to all kind of species of wild birds. Luis and Vilma Mendez (owners) are on top of every detail in giving the most service and comfort to their guests staying at the hotel They are a fantastic couple. Orlando, Manager at the hotel is a real gem. He makes sure you are happy and help you with any questions, tasks, appts. or tours, he is there for you. We can wait to go back and see them all.

Room Tip: All rooms are geeat
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sonia O
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Overall this place is beautiful, clean, and friendly. Tucked away in a semi-remote, nicer part of town. Quiet and secluded. The only reason I didn't rate this higher is that we were misled about a variety of things. First, the transportation costs to and from the airport were extremely expensive in comparison to other expenses related to this trip. They charged us $20US per person for transportation. With 4 people in our group that adds up quickly. The confirmation email I received from the hotel stated $20 total for transportation. Everywhere else in Nicaragua (e.g. Granada, etc.) the transportation costs, averaged about $40US for our entire group roundtrip. Second, when we arrived at the hotel the gentlemen at the desk told us the kitchen was closed and that we had to request food more than 3 hours in advance. He recommended a place that was within walking distance of the hotel but after making the journey down there we found out it was closed. We had no other options for food until dinner except chips and snacks from the local market. When we went to place our order for dinner (3 hours in advance as requested) we were told that the chef was not available tonight and we would have to make other arrangements for dinner. We were recommened an excellent steakhouse called Porterhouse which was about 2 miles from the place so it required more transportation costs. Again this place is beautiful but it is a bit out of the way and the transportation costs (which were more than the costs of our rooms) left a sour taste in my mouth.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Michael B
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This hotel is all about a great customer experience,
Too few hotels greet people with this level of professionalism and caring.
The hotel is very convenient to everything in Managua, is well kept and the people truly care.
One of the best hotel experiences I have had in the last couple years,
I am grateful for the excellent service provided…. Thank You.

Room Tip: Excellent Service...!!!Great food
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We had the most wonderful stay at Hotel Boutique Villa Maya. What a fantastic gem so close to the hustle and bustle of the city. The place was impeccably maintained and beautifully decorated. The rooms are large and very comfortable. I can't say enough about the quality of service. The staff are so friendly and helpful. The hotel has a fabulous wrap around patio at the back that affords a wonderful transition from the house to the garden, and what a garden! I have fond memories of sitting out there in the evening looking at the stars while the children swam in the pool. Or having breakfast by the pool in the morning listening to the tropical birds. Sitting out there surrounded by fabulous trees and birds, it's hard to believe one could be so close to the city. It truly is a little oasis where one can feel so much at home. Writing this makes me wish I was back there again. Soon, I hope.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Joe O
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Spent a week at this location this past November. Best stay ever while in Nicaragua. We are returning for another stay in April of this year. Will not stay anywhere else as you can't beat the atmosphere, the service, the tranquility of the early morning and evening hours while lounging on the patio in a rocker. Thank you Vilma and Luis for all that you do and have done.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Over the past 3 years I've had the pleasure to consider Villa Maya as my home-away-from-home while doing business in Managua, Nicaragua. This beautiful little villa has an air of genteel and familial hospitality, without pretension. The owners Luis and Vilma Mendez are extremely considerate and welcoming, catering to their guests every need. During my last stay Vilma drove me numerous times to the hospital and provided support for the care of one of my colleagues who had come down with dengue fever. I can't say any other hotel owner would have provided the same kindness and concern.

It's wonderful to wake up with the birds singing and look down from the balcony onto the gorgeous gardens. The breakfasts have been excellent and service attentive. If you're to eat there for lunch or dinner you will have to order in advance, they will create a menu around your request. In fact when I'm in Managua I usually eat my meals at Villa Maya because I'm usually too tired to go out and the villa is a bit of drive to the center of Managua. This may be a negative for some, but I found this to be one of the benefits. It's very peaceful, clean and safe, away from the Managua hubbub.

The hotel is intimate, but still conducive to business. I have had business meetings in the front sitting room and on the beautiful wrap around veranda. I've also held a small company meeting in the large front dining room. I've also had many business dinners that were catered by the excellent kitchen staff. I highly recommend Villa Maya to business travelers (or any other travelers) wanting a break from typical bland hotels with no character or warmth. Villa May is just the place to relax and rejuvenate.

Room Tip: My favorite room is the one with the balcony overlooking the garden in the back.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business