“Outside Lunch”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Arrived at 12:05 on Monday and we were the only people there. Took an outside tables. The drinks arrived quickly and the food shortly after. The burger and fries were good and the beer very cold. Did have to ask for salt and some ice water. The waiter was friendly. It was a nice lunch.

Reviewed June 13, 2014

This is akin to an Applebees back home but with bigger TV's (with some static). The food was OK (nothing special). The best thing I ate was the Flan for dessert.

What I did like is the staff. They were very nice and helpful and they turned up the volume so I could hear the commentary on the basketball game.

If I was there with friends it would have been a good place to have some drinks in a fun environment.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

I think I've figured out why the disparity in reviews. This joint is pretty close to an American comfort food chain restaurant (i.e., TGIF, Chilli's, etc) although providing a more limited menu. So, if you're only in Nicaragua for a short stay (especially sticking to Managua or SJDS), this place IS overrated. Nothing to write home about.
HOWEVER, if you've been away from the US for a while and are craving an American burger, Americanized fajitas or bbq/hot wings, this place WILL HIT THE SPOT. I've tasted burgers up and down Nicaragua and this is definitely my favorite. Why? Burgers in this country are always over-seasoned and lack the proper texture. Even compared to a great burger joint in SJDS, this burger is the best, IMHO.
Also, if you are here on a short vacation, the prices will seem reasonable. If you've started thinking of prices in Cordobas, it is pricey. They do not include tax, unlike most all Nica restaurants. The burgers are $8.50 to $10.50. However, we went for the lunch special: $7.50 for burger, curly fries and a Coke.
I would definitely return when I'm craving an American burger and I am in the area.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

I enjoyed the atmosphere of Hippos, but I think it was mostly because I went with a very large group. The prices were pretty good, and the little food that I had was good as well but more American. Using dollars instead of cordobas, the only big issue I had with the bar was we were being overcharged countless times. Most of us were young girls and didn't notice or say anything but at one point I was charged more than double what I should have been paying. Luckily, we were with a young man who lived in Managua and helped us out to get it straightened out, but the bartenders were hesitant at first and insisted that was the right amount when it clearly wasn't according to their drink menu. Just be careful and always double check that you are being charged the correct amount and not getting ripped off!

Reviewed January 7, 2014

A discussing place! There was a drunk guy taking a leak, on top of case of toña, because the bath room, was occupied! In another day, got charged more, for beer I didn't drink, and that was the last day we went there!