“An alright place...if you have to stay in Managua”

Managua Backpackers Inn
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Although I tried hard to like Managua, I really couldn't find any charm/any interesting sites that didn't feel sketchy. This hostel was located in a residential neighbourhood, so the area felt relatively safe, but I still wouldn't walk around alone at night. There is a giant mall a couple of blocks away, with a grocery store and ATM. The kitchen was clean and well-stocked, and there was a computer for guests to use and a TV/couch area. The back patio area was definitely the highlight of the hostel, there is a pool (the water in which didn't look very appealing when I was there, but a few people jumped in) and some shady trees and a few hammocks and patio chairs. Most of the guests when I was there seemed to be working with NGOs or doing research in the country, and those that weren't working just seemed to be in Managua for the airport or Ticabus connections. In spite of all this, the evenings were pretty nice there, with everyone chilling out around the pool and enjoying beers that you could buy at the hostel. Just a note, I stayed in the non-airconditioned dorm and it was SWELTERING. Definitely shell out the extra cash for AC - you won't regret it!! Also there weren't enough bathrooms for the hostel.

Room Tip: Pay the extra buck or two for AC!!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank hmf789
There are newer reviews for Managua Backpackers Inn

Reviewed July 3, 2012

I stayed here for almost a week in the dorm ($10 per night) upon arriving in Managua while I had to search for permanent accomodation. They have 2 buildings about 3 min walk away from eachother. The fun definitely happens at the main casa, where you will have to check in. Casa 2 is much quieter, actually boring. Both casas have a spacious courtyard with 2-3 hammocks.

Positive:
- pool in main casa
- good size kitchens in both casas
- friendly staff
- fast and free wifi
- close to metrocentro mall

Negative:
- had not a single good night here as people leave in the middle of the night to catch a bus or plane. Most stayed for 1 night only
- crappy showers. No pressure, couldnt wash my hair
- old mattresses

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We shared a private room for 4. It was perfectly clean but a little run down, w/ ill-fitting sheets and springy mattresses. The bathroom was clean and nicely maintained, and the shower was warm (not hot, but warm). We didn't ask for a room w/ A/C, but they gave us one, and it worked brilliantly. The common space and the kitchen were unmemorable. I mean, I quite literally can't remember them.

I really liked the guy at the front desk -- he was very friendly and knew a lot about Managua. But the other guests were really loud until 3-4 a.m., which wasn't great for us because we needed to get up early.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank afm82
Reviewed June 5, 2012

This is a terrible hostel, we stayed in a private room with aircon and private bathroom. The room was full of giant ants, the sheets didn't fit the bed, the shower (in room and communal) was so poor I couldn't rinse my hair properly. Behind the curtain in our room was a grimy.

The air con is completely controlled by the staff - so you can't change the temp or turn it down.

Staff unfriendly.

Laundry was done well and location is very close to Metrocentro

Very bad value for money, needs to be gutted and started again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2012

This is the cheapest hostel we could pre-book as we were arriving after midnight. We read the reviews but have stayed in basic hostels and thought we would give it a go.

We had a private room with aircon

Positive: good location 5 mins to metrocentro, good internet, cheap breakfast

Negative: the room was very poor, the sheets didn't fit, there were giant ants all over the room and bathroom. The showers (private and shared) have the worse presure and are extremly dangerous (electric shock). The service was very poor, the staff really didnt want to help with anything

Overall unclean and not worth $34 a night, would not stay again!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I flew into Managua to meet my boyfriend where we stayed at the Backpackers Inn before leaving for Honduras, he had already stayed there for 2 nights before me... They were very rude to him and spoke in spanish (even though they spoke "good enough" english) when asking for helpful information. He saw the conditions of the lobby and instead of staying in the dorms which he was originally going to stay in till I arrived, and decided to get a private room, which was equally as bad or worse. There was no A/C, it was extremely muggy in the room even though there was a fan that didn't do much, the sheets were horrible, they didn't have towels so we had to use the sheets from the top bunk bed for a towel, and the staff was extremely rude as I mentioned before, which I can't really stress enough. When he told the owner that he wanted a private room the owner carried on about how I was going to be so mad at him (why?) Personally I was relieved that he got a private room and was away from the ridiculously rude and insensitive people who ran the place. They definitely weren't there to do anybody any favors. The guy also told my b/f that I had said via e-mail " screw him he can stay in a dorm till I get there" ( I was the one who ended up making reservations via e-mail and facebook) I never said any such thing to the guy, I am not sure what world he was living in or if it was just fun for him to try and make a mess out of any situation he could possible get involved with ... The area is not a good area at all and is considered one of the safer parts of town and can be quite dangerous, which isn't the hostels fault, but they didn't do much in assisting anybody dealing with the outside forces that lay beyond the hostel, actually I have talked to several people who said they either just stood there and did nothing to help or laughed at them behind their backs, like it was their form of entertainment to see travels getting chased or harassed. I have also talked to other people face to face that I have met at other hostels that stayed there and had equally as bad of an experience..." Needless to say whenever either of us have to go to the bathroom we now say I will be back I have to go take a Managua" That is the one good thing that came out of the place, we now have a new word for our... Well you get the point! Luckily for them, he decided against leaving a nice steaming pile of Managua on the floor as a thank you present for their help and hospitality... I am not one to complain easily about hostels, they are an affordable way to be able to travel, and it is appreciated that there are places that allow backpackers and budget travelers to be able to do that. I don't need anything even close to fancy or even nice and I am very low maintenance when it comes to that, but this place was on a whole different level... Like the other guy said run, don't walk away from this place... Other reviewers have gave decent reviews based on the fact that they have a pool... the whole place is a pool... a giant cesspool. And considering the conditions and maintenance of the place, there is no way I would swim in it. This place makes San Pedro Sula look like Disneyland.

Room Tip: Just say no...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank esqueletosycaracolas
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Terrible! I have sat and tried to think of at least one good thing to say... the only thing I can think of was the fact that they actually had toilet paper to use... yes... that is my only positive comment.
The staff was unhelpful and they actually seemed to make fun of me when I asked simple questions, like where to safely go to get a taxi. I stayed in a private room and I have been to jail cells that were more inviting. Most of the staff only speaks spanish and are unwilling to help. The wifi and computer were both extremely slow and constantly crashed. I hated every minute I was here and I escaped as soon as I possibly could. I don't like giving bad reviews, and this is the first bad review I am giving. I typically have fairly low standards for hostels since they cater to budget backpackers, but this is the worst. I even got chased by a gang of thiefs less than a block away. The kid (who carries a machete for protection) who guards the door watched the whole thing simply shrugged his shoulders when I came running back. If you want a war-zone experience, this place is for you. If you want a friendly, fun backpacking experience please find a different location... this place and its staff are the worst.

• Stayed: May 2012