Tripadvisor
Scuba Ilopango lake

Reviewed January 19, 2020
Destorm
Region of Waterloo, Canada
Diving in a volcanic lake

Reviewed January 7, 2020
flapperbaas
Mijn Kamer
via mobile

All reviews great dive recommend el volcanic lake open water strong current snails different perspective el salvador mick diving mask gear visibility dove underwater boat esd
Selected filters
Reviewed January 19, 2020

Had a great time diving with Mick at lake Ilopango. He's very knowledgeable and experienced. This would be a great place to get certified. Loved the dive, thanks Mick.

Date of experience: January 2020
MickO271, Owner at El Salvador Divers, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2020

Thanks Destrom, it was a pleasure to dive with you glad you enjoyed yourself. Mick.

Reviewed January 7, 2020 via mobile

This is a different dive than most will be, because the life in the lake is not enough to make the dives worthwhile (at least at the sites I've been).

However: do not skip it! I enjoyed watching the underwater rock/lava formations a lot. It gives you a different perspective on these things and you can see stuff you otherwise couldn't.

Mick is also a nice guy, who knows what he's doing.

Date of experience: January 2020
Reviewed March 22, 2019 via mobile

I dove with Mick in the volcanic lake and had a terrific experience. Great customer service, including top notch communication, safe approach to diving, and just enjoyable experience. Diving in the lake was certainly unique as compared to any other dives. I really enjoyed Mick’s narrative before and after our dives and attention /care while under water. I highly recommend Mick and his outfit and hope our paths will cross again soon!

Date of experience: March 2019
Reviewed January 4, 2019 via mobile

I've done my Rescue with Mick, and have always enjoyed diving with him.
He is very professional, knowledgeable and passionate. We went diving in Los Cobanos before New year's and even though the visibility was poor, we had a good day, the diving was safe and enjoyable!
This Christmas I brought my boyfriend to have a DSD with Mick and he loved it. Mick was really friendly and my boyfriend can't wait to do his open water!
I would recommend ESD to anyone looking to try out diving, do their open water or advance their skills with Mick. Keep crushing! Thanks!

Date of experience: December 2018
MickO271, Owner at El Salvador Divers, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2019

Thanks SJ, it was a pleasure diving with you all, as usual. So glad your boyfriend really enjoyed the DSD. I look forward to putting him through his paces when doing his PADI Open Water Course and beyond :-)

Reviewed January 3, 2019

Our experience was amazing. Mick, the owner and our dive instructor had a great personality that made us feel really comfortable and welcome. If you're looking to go diving in El Salvador, this is your place.

My Wife and I scheduled an Scuba Diving session El Salvadorian Divers During 2018 Christmas and paid $85 per person. Mick speaks English and has a few El Salvadorian employees so you will have no problem with communication!

Below is a brief description of what we went through!

Introduction:
When we first arrived we went through a ~30 minute introduction/safety course that was presented with a PADI introduction/safety book. In the safety class we went over the diving equipment and what each thing does. We learned how to use the regulator and methods for clearing water from the mouth as well as clearing water from the mask. In addition, we learned how to equalize and why, what the BCD is and how to use it. Many other things were discussed in this safety session and Mick was always knowledgeable and happy to answer any questions.

The Dive:
Mick drove us out to Lake Ilopango. During the drive we were told some historical information about the Lake we were diving that was super interesting! Once we were there, we backup to the dock and unloaded all the gear into the boat. The course includes 2 tanks per diver, so you will get to dive twice each being about 30 minutes in length for a total of an hour per diver. Once we were out on the water, we geared up and Mick refreshed our memory on the hand signals that we went over in the safety class. For the first dive, I went first while my wife waited on the boat. I got into the water with Mick and we did a few exercises at the top of the water. A few of the exercises were how to control the BCD, clearing the regulator, then locating the regulator underwater with a sweeping motion of the hand, removing water from the mask while underwater, equalizing, etc.

Once we did all of that at the top of the water we followed the anchor line down to about 10-12 meters and explored. Mick was always beside me with continued hand communication throughout the dive. After 25 minutes, we came up and did a safety stop for 5 minutes at about 5-6 meters. I removed my BCD and jumped back in the boat. My wife then did the first dive.

Once we both completed the first dive we went to a small island on the lake to explore and take a brief break. Mick was kind enough to bring some butter bread and bananas for extra energy. After about 15 minutes we geared back up. This time Mick took both my wife and myself down at the same time and explored at the same depths as before. We saw many small fish, large snails, and even a crab!

Once we finished diving, we headed back and went to a local restaurant on the shore and had a beer with Mick.

Overall, It was an experience to remember and was only improved more by Micks great attention to detail and awesome personality.

Date of experience: December 2018

Thanks Jacob, I am so glad you both really enjoyed your PADI Discover Scuba Dive experience. Next step is to come back and do the PADI Open Water Course with us. :-)