“Pompeii of America”

Book In Advance
More Info
$42.99*
and up
San Salvador Layover Tour: Mayan Route Including...
More attraction details
Owner description: Excavation at "Jewel of the Ceren", a pre-Columbian Mayan farming village, that was buried under a volcanic eruption around 600 A.D.
Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

I'm a huge history nut so I loved it. There are two metal pavilions with several small buildings remnants. There were not many other people there when I was there. I went through the one room museum and looked at the twenty or so exhibits. Mostly pottery under glass. And a few teeth. Grabbed a coke at the tiny cafeteria and bought some souvenirs then headed out.

Having been to Pompeii in Italy it was neat to go. If you're in El Salvador you should go!

1  Thank KarlMessner
"nice museum"
"national bird"
"well worth the trip"

Reviewed November 8, 2012

im currently studying to become an educator for elementary, our teacher for social studies, organized a field trip, we went and visited this site, i was amazed to learn so much in a 1 day field trip, kids can actually lear more by observing, interacting in a fun way and this is the perfect place! we had the oportunity to admire how our ancestor lived, they were architects and super organized people, definately i recomend this arqueologic jewel of my country!

Reviewed November 7, 2012

The site itself was very impressive and it was great to walk around and take in all the history. But whatever you do, don't go on a Wednesday! Apparently that is "bus day" and every school child in the country (it seems) is there on a field trip. We weren't able to get a guide because they were all tied up with the kids, but it was still a great trip.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

One of the things our guide said sort of summed up this site: You can still see this kind of housing in remote Maya areas today. I would definitely recommend having a good guide, because, by themselves, the remains of adobe houses don't say much (at least not to me). The museum was quite good and helped me understand what I'd seen at the site itself.

1  Thank Ken L