“Beds were the best I've ever slept in”

Real InterContinental San Salvador at Metrocentro Mall
Ranked #1 of 53 Hotels in San Salvador
Vancouver, BC
“Beds were the best I've ever slept in”
Reviewed May 10, 2012

This hotel was excellent.

THE BEST PARTS:

-the BED was probably the most comfortable I've ever slept on;
-the fitness centre was good for a hotel and there was air conditioning;
-two hotel bars open until 11:00pm - Tequila (more of a pub style) and another lounge;
-although it is a pet peeve of mine to have to pay for internet, you can add internet and the buffet breakfast to your room rate for $19.99 which isn't bad (most hotels charge this much just for the breakfast);
-location - close to Metro Centro shopping centre (there is a walkway which connects the hotel to the mall);
-Quiet - I had a room right in front of the elevator but never heard any noise;
-in-room safe and mini-bar;
-the wireless internet was reliable and fast;
-Check-in was efficient and friendly - they allowed us to check out pretty late (4pm) without a charge. They said we could have 3pm checkout for free because I am a Priority Club member but easily relented to a 4pm checkout without charge. 5pm would have cost $50;
-Shuttle picked us up at the airport (unexpected). When entering El Salvador at night this is a good thing, especially for safety-conscious travelers unfamiliar with the country. At $38 USD for 2 people, it was an okay price (for a 40km drive) but you can get a taxi for only $25 USD;
-I asked for guacamole and chips but it's not available unless you purchase the snack/taco bar... waiter comped it for us (free).

THE NOT-SO-GOOD:

-Due to jet lag I overslept and didn't eat the above-mentioned breakfast yet they refused to charge me only for the internet (I paid the full 19.99 despite not getting breakfast);
-The food / snack options at the bar (tequila) were, in my opinion, not that great;
-location - I know I put it in the plus column vis-a-vis the shopping centre, but it is about 40km from the airport;
-The air conditioning fan did make a bit of noise, but it was quieter than many and it was constant (not that clicking-on-and-off you get at some hotels) so I was easily able to sleep through it;
-The upholstery in the lounge was dirty and stained;
-Maybe it's just El Salvador but if you're white with tattoos you should consider covering them up unless you like being stared at (staff and guests alike).

THE UNKNOWN:

-I didn't eat at the restaurants (besides a snack @ Tequila bar)
-didn't use the valet.
-Since we were only there for 1 night I cannot comment on the housekeeping either.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Adam_5703
Real-IC, Manager at Real InterContinental San Salvador at Metrocentro Mall, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Dear Adam_5703, Thank you very much for this fabulous review! We are overjoyed with your comments and greatly appreciate the recommendation. We have taken note of your observations with the upholstery in the lounge and the air conditioning and will work to correct these issues. Even though we are a distance from the airport we are also the closest city hotel with the most direct access. We hope you will come back again and stay for a few more days so you can try our other restaurants, we are sure you will enjoy them! Thank again Adam!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

I came back to El Salvador for a conference and stayed at the intercontinental. The hotel is beautiful and the food us excellent. Tanoshii has great and affordable tepanyaki

• Stayed April 2012
Real-IC, Manager at Real InterContinental San Salvador at Metrocentro Mall, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Dear MarceAround, thank you for sending in your review! We are delighted that you came to visit us again and that your conference was a success. We hope to see you again soon!
Miami, Florida
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I was just in this hotel, I always like it, service is more than excellent, food is great, specially breakfast. Prices is average for this kind of hotel, location is not as good as before since there are more things and places in San salvador where you can get anything you want close to the hotel. But hey you can not move a hotel.We had some requests during our stay and it was amazing how fast they were solved. But they need to improve the air conditioning, I think is the same system than 20 years ago, and you do not want to go to bet in a hot room. We were at the 8th floor and they do not put the air conditioning from the aisles on, so the AC in your room does not work good, specially an old one like the one in the room. So an advise, change it.

Room Tip: Ask before about the AC unit in it, make sure it works!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Real-IC, Manager at Real InterContinental San Salvador at Metrocentro Mall, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Dear Avicultura, thank you for your review! We appreciate your observation about the air conditioning and we are working to find a solution to this issue. We hope you will be back to see us again soon!
Trier, Germany
Reviewed March 30, 2012

because the rooms were clean and superb. The service excellent, as well. Everything worked out the way I planned it. They have been very friendly and trying to help me whenever help was needed. The breakfast is one highlight of the InterContinental (like I have experienced in Tegucigalpa last year). Although I was a single traveller I did not feel alone in San Salvador. Again I was touched by the locals' friendliness and history. Around the area of the InterConti it has been safe. That is why I will choose InterConti hotels if I travel to Central America again. Personally Centro America is one of my favourite regions on earth.So I will visit El Salvador (also for Guatemala and Belize) and Panama in the future a second or third time. Historically El Salvador is also interesting and the InterConti offers all kinds of tours (Nahuat Tours for example) which were very intersting and marvellous. Thanks to all the stuff members (Mr. Lemus) and the tour guide (Mario)! Last point to mention is the fact that El Salvador is a good choice to travel because it is not over-crowded with tourists like Thailand, or the Dominican Republic. So go and have a look!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Real-IC, Manager at Real InterContinental San Salvador at Metrocentro Mall, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Dear zhongmeizhou,
Thank you for your excellent review. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, we hope you will come and visit us again soon!
New York, USA
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Really nice hotel with great service. We stayed during the weekend which included breakfast buffet and it was really awesome. Pool is a bit small.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Real-IC, Manager at Real InterContinental San Salvador at Metrocentro Mall, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Dear MJBNYC, thank you for your comment. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for visiting us and we hope you come back again soon!
New Hampton, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Great hotel, with shopping mal just across the street.
Staff is amazing, friendly and helpful from the moment you walk in. Rooms are comfortable and clean with everything in you need.
We stayed a couple of the days in the hotel so we had the chance to try all of the restaurants, Japanese, Brazilian and Mexican restaurant. The staff is helpful and they take the time to explain detailed the menu and can give you great recommendations, the food in all locations is really great, tasty, fresh and nicely presented. The breakfast buffet is served in the Brazilian restaurant again a great selection of fresh fruits, hot dishes, eggs freshly prepared … nothing what is missing.
Coverage of WIFI connection all over the hotel is very good and fast.
My second stay in this hotel and definitely my No. 1 choice when traveling to El Salvador.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear kajo25, thank you very much for this glowing recommendation. We are overjoyed with your comments and have passed them along to all of our staff in all of the restaurants. Please come back and visit us again soon!
Streetsboro, Ohio
Reviewed March 8, 2012

For the past sixteen years members of Concern for Children have stayed at the InterContinental in San Salvador, El Salvador. There could be 6 to 50 people traveling at the same time. No matter the number, everyone marvels at the customer service we receive from ALL of InterContinentals staff.
The staff has been well trained to understand the importance of customer service and they go out of their way to make our stay most pleasurable. We are call by our names, the bellhops and concierge provide the best of the best service. The food is fabulous, the hotel is clean, the pool and fitness center a great place to be to unwind after a stressful day.
In my real life, away from volunteering, I train staff in customer service, and I can honestly tell anyone that InterContinental, San Salvador is the best of the best.
When the plane touches down in San Salvador for us to start our volunteer work, and we're arriving at InterContinental, it's just like coming home.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Real-IC, Manager at Real InterContinental San Salvador at Metrocentro Mall, responded to this review, March 9, 2012
Dear cjm7213,
Thank you for this fabulous review! We are delighted with your comments and thank you for your continued support over the years. We look forward to your next visit!
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Salvador
#7 of 53 in San Salvador
Hotel Los Farallones
Hotel Los Farallones
#1 of 3 in La Libertad

Been to Real InterContinental San Salvador at Metrocentro Mall? Share your experiences!