“Adequate, but Quirky”

Ranked #7 of 54 Hotels in San Salvador
Atlanta, Georgia
“Adequate, but Quirky”
Reviewed March 20, 2011

Some things about this hotel were good and some things were inexpicably not good. For example, the fitness room is fine with 2 treadmills, 2 elipticals, 2 stationary bikes and weights and a TV that works fine, but there are no mats, no stretching space, and no attendant. The hotel would let it get really hot in the gym until someone would call the front desk, and then the electrician would immediately arrive and fix the problem. My room was fine with good lighting, the most water pressure I've ever experienced in my entire life, and a spectacular view of the Boqueron volcano, but the bed was rock hard, it was nearly impossible to close the curtains completely and one of the phones did not work. The soap, lotion and shampoo that was provided were all fine. The high speed internet is complementary and works just fine. There are many TV channels but only about 4 are in English. The pool is a huge 'what were they thinking'. It is almost 5' deep and on the day I arrived, it was very dirty, but was clean everyday thereafter, but cold. There are only 3 lounge chairs but it is the location that is a complete mystery. It is in the same enclosed courtyard as the restaurant, so there you are laying at the pool in your bathing suit and diners are 20 feet away from you. It is very awkward. When I checked in I asked for the room on an upper floor farthest from the elevator, and Pamela at the front desk smiled, nodded and gave me room 600 closest to the elevator. I was told by Expedia that the bottled water would be complementary, but the hotel said no. However, when I mentioned this to the front desk staff, they shrugged their shoulders and said it was policy. Only when I said I would have to move to another hotel did complementary bottled water appear, and I had no trouble after that. Same thing for the hotel shuttle. I paid for a shuttle ($16) through Expedia but when I arrived at the San Salvador airport I was told that I would have to wait 2 hours before the shuttle could leave for the hotel because we were waiting for other passengers. When I said this was unacceptable, miracuously I was put in another car and taken to the hotel. Not knowing any different, I paid the driver in cash and he took my money. When I asked about the return shuttle on the day before my departure, I was told by the front desk that the shuttle only left the hotel at 11:30am, an hour and a half after I needed to leave, so I would have to take a cab for $9 extra dollars. I told them that was not acceptable, and again, a car was provided for me at no extra cost at the price I had paid. But at that point I found out that I had paid twice for the arriving shuttle and they credited my card for the payment. So, ask for things and insist on getting the items you want. The location of the hotel is excellent as there are shops and restaurants right across the street and the US Embassy is just down the street and the view of the volcano is wonderful. Overall, I would stay at this hotel again, but don't expect flawless service and you have to advocate for yourself.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Christmas2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed March 7, 2011

Stayed at the Holiday Inn in the middle of February. It's nicely situated across the street from some good restaurants and down the street from La Prensa Grafika and the American Embassy (more like military installation).

Overall, the hotel is solid. The staff are friendly, knowledgable and efficient. The rooms are comfortable and the wi-fi is complimentary. The restaurant is decent and the fitness center is just right. The only oddity is the pool. Located in a courtyard surrounded by the restaurant seating and meeting room space, I was feeling a bit awkward to strip down and swim with diners only ten feet away.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank BmoreTrav
Pipe Creek, Texas
Reviewed October 18, 2010

What distinguishes this chain location is the service! And the food! Certainly the rooms are lovely, the bedding luxurious, the internet fast, the workout room fine and dandy. But the best thing of all was not a thing, but the people. Our bellmen were incredible, the front desk always helpful, the restaurant perfect for breakfast, lunch and dinner. As working folks, sometimes you really can value efficiency, consistency and service over local charm and color and this was one of those trips. We could have enjoyed a bit more of El Salvador in the mix -- the food was about the only way we knew we were in Central America without looking outside at the Volcano looming in the view! But there was plenty of local activity here, too. -- Showers, weddings, quinaneras, etc. So the people (well, the wealthiest people) did know the value of the hotel and its excellent service too we suspect.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank susiemonday
New Delhi, India
Reviewed June 22, 2010

The rooms are not too big
no fridge in the room
water is charged
The breakfast has a lot of fuit options and its by the poolside
It is far from the beach around 45 minutes and from the airport too

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Buenos Aires
Reviewed December 28, 2009

l was pleasantly surprised by the Holiday Inn San Salvador. Very cordial staff. l was jet-
lagged, having accumulated some 15 flying hours in 2 days, and managed to sleep
some 11 hours, which says a lot for the comfortable bed and quiet surroundings. The bathroom was very ample, like in 2 stages as you walk in. Furnishings were adequate - l particularly liked the work desk. The breakfast room - dining room was very nice,
overlooking a very nice swimming pool beyond a roofed area, where you could also eat. Very well situated in the Santa Elena district, with beautiful mountains in the distance,
also visible from the room. Access to the business center - i.e. internet - was complementary, with the door key. All in all, good value for money, and an ideal stopover if you are heading north or south in the Hemisphere.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Costa Rica
Reviewed October 26, 2009

I stayed in this property for 3 nights and it was almost ok. The issues I faced at this place are too many to detail. Simply put, the front desk staff need to be trained on being more welcoming of guests. They need to understand that guests do not want to hear about the problems the hotel is having but instead we want to hear about how they are going to solve our problems, period. They have excuses for everything. In fact, I did not learn about a series of services the hotel provides until I asked for them (like the van that takes you for free to the shopping centers located 1 km away).The room was fine, clean, comfortable and roomy, with the basics. Food was acceptable. The lounge bar is not a good idea, wrong location.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Rhode Island
Reviewed May 20, 2009

This may be a perfectly nice hotel, but they need to have a more compassionate refund policy. I had to cancel my trip because my mother became very ill and passed away during the time I was supposed to be in El Salvador. Armed with my mother's death certificate, an agent at Expedia tried to convince them to refund my hotel charge, but they came up with some bogus excuse for why it was impossible. Por favor, have a heart. So I am boycotting this hotel from now on, and I hope others will, too.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business