“Great place in San Salvador!”
Review of Joan's Hostel

Joan's Hostel
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Rooms and bathroom were clean. Though, there could had been more light in the bathroom (yay,hot water!).

Got great tips as to what to do for having only a day in San Salvador, as well as how to get there.

Safe neighborhood with plenty of restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: June 2013
JoAnshostel, Propietario at Joan's Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Thank you so much for your comments! we will consider to change the light bulbs in the bathroom!! I hope you get to come back to San Salvador and visit us again!

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Great comfortable place to stay in San Salvador. Ana the owner is quite amazing! The hostel has simple rooms, beds and sheets were clean and comfortable. The common areas feel much like hanging out in your living room at home. They offer free water and coffee in the morning. The location is very close to the San Benito bus Terminal. I felt very comfortable in the neighbor and was in pupusa heaven. Small places to dine and very cheap. Main busses a 5 block walk.

Ana goes out of her way to make sure you find what you are looking for in El Salvador. She is like a very cool Aunt who wants you to see the town and will gladly help you plan your next destinations travels. Rigo is there when Ana is not and is also great! Ana recommended places to stay in El Tunca and how to get there. She also was very knowledgable on how to get to my next stop in Nicaragua. If I'm every back in San Salvador I will be staying at JoAn's

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
JoAnshostel, Owner at Joan's Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Thank you so much for the time taken for your review!
We will continue trying to be there for every single person that comes to visit, to make your stay special!
Come back to El Salvador!

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Communal space is very well laid out. Plenty of indoor & outdoor space
Galley kitchen, coffee maker, toaster, fridge
very helpful staff though when Ana is out the others don't speak much English (Ana was available on the phone for translation)
Close by to major bus route in and out of San Salvador so good location for onward transport
Close to good supermarket & mall
Loads of info available from posters and staff of things to do plus onward travel & other places in El Salvador
We felt the room for 2 (very small) was expensive. Other hostels in Mexico / Central America charging similar prices include breakfast, towels and water and are generally ensuite. Others we spoke to arriving in El Salvador had similar thoughts.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
JoAnshostel, Owner at Joan's Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Hola Missykap!
We are very happy you visited us and had a pleasant stay.
We try from the moment you arrive to make you feel comfortable, even a little spoiled, and to help you in any way possible. I’m glad to know you found the staff to be helpful. They’ll appreciate hearing that. Although I cannot be there 24 hours a day I am always available by a free phone call, 24/7, and I’m always happy to assist in any way possible! Thanks for your comment about communication with them when I’m not there. I’ll see what I can do to improve that.
It is true that the rooms are not big, but we always make sure they are clean, and have comfortable NEW beds - a real plus in any hostel. We’re glad to be in a convenient location, a safe neighborhood and to have easy access to everything around. With that, guaranteed comfort and our commitment to friendly service, it is always our goal to make every penny worth your while. Your comments on what other hostels have ensuite will help us to become even more competitive.
Thanks so much for your feedback. It’s very important to us so we can continue to grow and improve.
Great meeting you. Hope to see you again.
Ana

Reviewed February 2, 2013

As capital cities are often disappointing and the search for a decent hostel is even worse, my stay at Joan's hostel has been wonderful! Anna (the owner) is an amazingly kind and very helpful host and will sit down with you and talk trough what you would like to see and show you (with map!) how to get there by public transport. The hostel itself is nice aswell with good beds, clean bathroom and a cosy community area. Don't hesitate to pick this hostel when you visit San Salvador!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
JoAnshostel, Owner at Joan's Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Astrid! you are too kind! It was a pleasure getting to know you! It´s always a pleasure to help people to get to know my country, our people and our ways...I hope you come back and take with you the good memories of our little but beautiful country!
Thanks for your comments about our little hostel!

Reviewed October 12, 2012

I took a refugee in Joan's after a night at a different boutique hotel in San Salvador. Though it was nice, I was the only guest(slow season), and no one spoke a word of English(at the time I spoke no English). Had a trouble finding Joan's for a second but there it was, what appears to be a family home is Joan's, actually conveniently located across the street from one of the major universities in town.
As soon as I walked in, the owner Ana welcomed me and sat me in the back garden room(her review later).
The amenities are basic but comprehensive at the same- it's got a handful of rooms, enough bathrooms, big living rooms, outdoor entertainment room with a dining table(offering affordable self-serve drinks/snacks), a nice garden and a fully equipped kitchen. Also offers a laundry service for a small fee.
Since it was a slow season, there were only few guests mostly spending a few nights(if not a night just to catch a bus the next morning) so didn't get a typical hostel experience but more of that of a guesthouse. I met some interesting people there.
And finally Ana. She made my San Salvador experience unforgettable. She does A LOT to help you suggest where to go, how to get there, etc, and show you around some cool local joints on some nights.

Thank You Ana!

Room Tip: If not busy, try to get a dorm room with a private bath. More space and more closet space.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
JoAnshostel, Owner at Joan's Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Thank you Cho for your kind review! We tried to make your stay as comfortable as possible. I love to treat guests as if they were at my own personal home! I hope you come back!

Reviewed September 23, 2012

JoAn's is clean, comfortable, homey, and conveniently located in a safe neighborhood. Those are the basics. More importantly, Anna is a wonderful woman full of love for life and travelers. She is incredibly helpful and full of advice about what to do and where to go. We would have happily stayed longer if the time had permitted. Will definitely be staying here for any return trips to El Salvador.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
JoAnshostel, Owner at Joan's Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Thank you so much Latima and Alex!! it was really a pleasure to have you! I do really hope you can come back and we, together, can explore more El Salvador!! It´s always a pleasure serving you!
Thanks for all the complemets!! I really do appreciate them!!

JoAn´s hostel

Reviewed September 23, 2012

I had an awesome time at Joan's Hostel. Ana, who owns the house, is a lovely person and devotes herself to giving her guests a great experience in San Salvador. The hostel itself has clean and comfortable rooms and easily the best shower I have had in Central America. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Dear Hannah! You were supposed to stay one day at the hostel, and ended up staying for a week! and we loved having you!! You are great and it was a pleasure serving you! Need to come back to do more together!!
Thanks for your kind review!!

cheers!