“One night stop over”

Hostal Cumbres del Volcan
Ranked #5 of 53 San Salvador B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 26, 2012

We stayed here one night before ctching the early morning bus to Nicaragua.
If we were to be staying longer in San Salvadour we definately stay here. Family owners were friendly and helpful, good location, safe, good vlue, clean rooms, What more could you want.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hallcottage
HostalCumbresDelVolc, Owner at Hostal Cumbres del Volcan, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2012

Thank you. Walter, Sara and I enjoyed your stay with us very much and wish you could have spent more time in El Salvador. Thank you for taking the time to respond to Trip Advisor.
Malcolm

Reviewed April 25, 2012

We stayed here for a couple of nights and it was one of the best hotels/hostals we stayed in during our time away. The room was marvellous, the owner is so kind and will give you all kinds of information on not just San Salvador but the country as a whole.

You are just round the corner from a new up market development with bars and restuarants and it was perfectly safe to walk there a night time.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hampcamp
HostalCumbresDelVolc, Owner at Hostal Cumbres del Volcan, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Thank you very much for your kind words on TripAdvisor. I am sorry not to have responded more promptly, but I was delaying in California due to the marriage of our youngest son, and then the unexpected death of my father. I have passed on your review to Walter and Sara and they say hi; they still remember you. Walter has now become fluent in English and his English is now much better than my Spanish! Hope to see you again sometime in future, and hope you are having a wonderful time somewhere. Buen Viaje!
Malcolm, Walter y Sara

Reviewed April 10, 2012

we stayed at the cumbres del volcan for one night and had quite a pleasant stay. we had a private room and bath with air condition. low prices,safe zone, i love it

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Savifv
HostalCumbresDelVolc, Manager at Hostal Cumbres del Volcan, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

This response is very late as I somehow missed this review when it came it. But I just wanted to thank you for your kind words and hope you had a wonderful time here. We want all of our guests to want to come back. I passed on your words to Walter and Sara, and they are very appreciative-- and doing a great job as always. Walter's English is now much better than my Spanish! Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor.
Malcolm, Walter, y Sara

Reviewed February 14, 2012

My wife and I just returned from our stay at Hostal Cumbres del Volcan and I had to write this review to express how awesome we thought this place was. We stayed in the larger, private room upstairs that has cable, AC and is large enough to spread out in. The room was clean, new and well decorated. It felt more like a boutique hotel than a hostel.

The owner, Malcolm, and his employees Sara and Walter were incredibly gracious and welcoming. Sara's food is terrific and Walter can help you with just about anything, i.e. parking your car in the garage, unlocking your door, etc. Malcolm is a wonderful guy from Pasadena, California and actually helped me look for apartments in LA on his new iPad ;-) Just a really gracious, helpful gentleman.

The neighborhood is quite safe with the residence of the Mexican ambassador across the street, and various other private security guards posted up and down the block. Obviously they're not there to guard *you* but their presence is appreciated. In any case, even without the muscle, my wife and I felt comfortable enough to park our truck on the street- something we almost never do in Central America. There are some good restaurants up the block at Plaza Futura, and some smaller comidores and puposarias in the area as well.

For you computer nerds- don't fret- the wifi is strong and never went down during our stay.

Honestly, I'm a picky guy and my wife is even pickier, ha, but we both loved Hostal Cumbres and we'll be back soon.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Brad E
HostalCumbresDelVolc, Owner at Hostal Cumbres del Volcan, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2012

Thank you very much for your kind words. We all hope to see you soon-- including Kofy. Malcolm, Walter, & Sara

Reviewed January 10, 2012

We stayed at the Cumbres del Volcan for 7 nights and had quite a pleasant stay. We had a private room and bath downstairs, with air (which we only used once because the breezes through the room were enough). The rooms are not fancy and very basic, however, we never felt that we were missing anything. The house is clean and has wi-fi, plus a TV and computer in the main living space should you need it. The neighborhood is one of the nicer areas in San Salvador and you can walk to stores or restaurants in the area.

What made this stay special though, were the people we met. I communicated with Malcolm prior to our arrival and even though he was on vacation he was quick to respond and offer suggestions. Walter and Sara were in charge of the house activities and stayed on top of everything. Before you'd wake up Sara would be cooking breakfast and cleaning. Walter was always available to help with any random question we came up with. He was so sweet and genuinely concerned that your stay was pleasant.

We also met many international travelers while staying at the house. It's a great environment to be around.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank amusez

Thank you very much. Sorry I did not respond sooner. I did not know how to navigate in Trip Adviser. We all hope to see you soon. Malcolm, Walter, & Sara

Reviewed August 11, 2011

I stayed at Cumbres del Volcan for only one night passing from northern El Salvador to Nicaragua. The hostal was a bit difficult to find by our cab driver but once we got there we were able to totally relax. It is safe and comfortable. There are rooms with A/C although, we did not use it. The bedrooms and bathrooms are extremely clean and they have hot water showers! Towels for the showers and a hot breakfast were also nice (included) touches. This place is a step up from your average backpacker hostel but in the same price range!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
HostalCumbresDelVolc, Owner at Hostal Cumbres del Volcan, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2011

Thank you very much for your kind comments. Our employees Walter and Marleny especially appreciate your remarks. El Salvador is a beautiful country, with friendly people and many undiscovered wonders. Come back soon and stay longer next time-- and recommend us to all your friends!

Malcolm Collins

Reviewed September 17, 2010

I stayed for two weeks with my husband, my nephew, his girl friend and her sister. My nephew and the sisters had two rooms upstairs sharing one connecting bath. The larger of the two rooms had AC and cable TV. The smaller had only a fan. My husband and I had a room downstairs with private bath, excellent air conditioning, and cable TV. Cable TV was also available in the public living room of the Hostal. There are only 5 guest rooms, so it is a pretty small place. The Hostal is an old house, with a beautiful terrace with a view of the city and a small inside garden. Breakfast was included (simple but OK). WiFi was available. Signal was generally good downstairs, but weak upstairs. Location was excellent-- only one block from one of the best large hotels in San Salvador (El Salvador Crowne Plaza). Covered secured parking is available, but we did not have a car as I have a lot of family in San Salvador.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family