“2 point of views, Great if you are traveling with Tica Bus”

Hotel Meson de Maria
Ranked #22 of 54 Hotels in San Salvador
San Jose, Costa Rica
“2 point of views, Great if you are traveling with Tica Bus”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I was traveling from Costa Rica to El Salvador with Tica Bus. I arrived around 10:30 pm and I didn't have a place to stay. There was in front of me this hotel. I paid 14$ per night for a room for 2. The room had 2 individual beds that were ok, it didn't have Tv, but the Wifi signal was very good. It didn't have AC and it was necessary because it was very hot in El Salvador, but it had a fan. The room was very clean and the beds were comfortable. It didn't include breakfast but it is located in the Zona Rosa of El Salvador, which is pretty beautiful and safe, so we took a little walk in the morning and ate a great and cheap breakfast at a local restaurant. That night at this hotel was very good, the staff were very helpful.

I stayed 2 more nights in this hotel after traveling around El Salvador and Guatemala. If was a completely different room. I was with a friend and we paid 16$ dollars per night each. The room was very big with its own bathroom and shower, it had AC and TV. There were 2 king size beds that were very comfortable. It was very convenient because our bus was leaving at 3 am. We fall asleep and woke up 13 min before 3, we didn't have our luggage ready and could even take the bus.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I simply can't understand why this hostel is $20 a night for a dorm. Throughout my entire time in El Salvador I paid $8 or $9 per night but for over double you would expect something good right? Wrong.
- Computers at reception need to be paid for
- No communal area
- Tiny rooms
- No lockers
In fact, once 1pm reaches you actually need to leave the premises and can't even hang around to wait for a bus
- No filtered water
In fact, when my friend went to buy a bottle of water at 11pm, the receptionist told him that there were "no more drinks at all" after 10pm. This meant my friend needed to wander the streets at midnight in order to get a drink.

I must say that the staff were very nice & helpful to me, but to my friend they were not, so I suppose it's a flip of the coin.

This hostel is clearly extorting the fact that they are above the Tica Bus station - I recommend staying down the road somewhere cheaper & with better atmosphere.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these San Salvador hotels

Pensacola Beach, Florida
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed in this hotel while on my way to Nicaragua from Guatemala. The bus dropped me off in the front door and after confirming the next morning's bus to Nicaragua, dropped my backpack off and realxed a bit. There is a small restaurant area, though I didn't eat there. The place is nice, clean overall, though the room where I stayed in was a little cramped. The door would barely open because the twin beds in it were too close to it.

Room Tip: If travelling with Ticabus, stay here!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, CO
Reviewed November 2, 2012

The hotel is incredibly convenient if you are traveling via TICA bus, and the quality was better than I had expected. I thought since it was such easy business for them it wouldn't be very nice, but was happy to see the rooms were clean, showers had hot water, and there was free WIFI. There are probably cheaper places to stay, but this is a great option in a safe neighborhood.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tcldenver
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Stayed here for one night on our trip from Nicaragua to Guatemala. If you are travelling with Tica bus this hotel is a good option as the bus stops right outside it, and there is a Tica bus office at the ground level. The rooms are large, have wifi, and the standard is ok considering the price (USD 32 for an "executive rooom" if you are a Tica passenger). There are restaurants in the area such as Wendy's and Pizza Hut, probably som nicer restaurants as well. Few in the staff speaks english.

Would not have stayed here if I were to stay in San Salvadore for more than the night in relation to travelling with Tica, then I would have chosen a nicer hotel closer to shopping etc, especially as the staff told us that it was not safe to just get a taxi of the street.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Hotel de Maria was where we stayed during our few days in San Salvador. The hotel is in situated in an excellent location (Zona Rosa), very safe, walking distance to many restaurants and other hotels. It is also right by the Tica Bus (Central America transportation) ticket terminal. The facility is very clean, staff is very friendly, our room was towards the back so very quiet, the room size is good, has AC and free wi-fi. There is a very nice patio that is used as a dining area, but in between our excursions we used to sit there and relax with a drink. We stayed there the first two nights, then returned for the last night before we left the country.
It was refreshing to stay in an unassuming place where you actually can get to meet the locals and stay away from big hotel chains. If you are looking for luxury, this place is not for you. But if you want good value, a clean place, friendly staff and something a bit low key, this hotel definitely won't disappoint.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 327Aries
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2011

very nice hotel, very clean, the staff is very friendly. the location is excellent and safe. excellent price for passenger bus!

Room Tip: good price
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business