“Visit to San Salvador” 4 of 5 bubbles

El Torogoz Casa de Huespedes
London, England, United Kingdom
“Visit to San Salvador”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

My visit was very good, the great staff are very friendly and helpful, the food was excellent all freshly made and well presented. The rooms are comfortable, clean and well conditioned, All in all a very pleasurable stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Ruth S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Eugene,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2011

Hotel El Torogoz is great, most notably for the friendly atmosphere and the helpful staff. In total, during the summer of 2011 I spent several weeks there and it was a great experience. When my father, who spoke no Spanish, came to visit me we stayed and he soon became a member of the family, despite being unable to communicate with anyone! The rooms are clean and simple, with very good air conditioning (San Salvador's heat can be intense) and comfortable beds. The price is competitive and it is in a great part of the city - not the uber-fancy (and uber-expensive) areas but a safe, clean neighborhood close to the national university and lots of food. I definitely plan to return to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank William J
Managua, Nicaragua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2011

Arriving into San Salvador can be a daunting experience, and as such, having somewhere clean, friendly and that makes you feel at home is very important.

As such, I would throughly recommend El Torogoz. It is a lovely hotel in a safe part of the city (Reparto Santo Fe). The rooms are excellent with air conditioning, cable TV and comfortable beds.

All of the staff are also extremely friendly, and certainly always make me very welcome, treated at times more like a friend or family member, something which, living away from home is always something I really appeaciate it.

I adore El Salvador, and I even love San Salvador. I would really recommend the country, the city for a night or two, and El Torogoz as my favourite place to stay in this city.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Simon_M_Walters
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2011

Wow...what an experience. There were several hotels/hostels in this residential area of El Salvador and I picked this one because of the nice room and the swimming pool out back. Well, I happened to be there for one of their private fiestas so I couldn't use the pool (told that it was closed for cleaning but it was really because they were having a huge multi-day party). I was the ONLY person staying in the place...can't call it a hostel or a hotel as that is not what this is.

On my second day there I was taking a nap and I heard the door to my room open and when I looked up they shut it and were gone by the time I went out to see who it was and what they wanted. Since I was the only one staying in the place it was suspect. I told the owners later in the day when they returned about it. They then got all of their employees to come into the main room and the guy said the employees have been with them for over ten years and that none of them tried going into my room and that I was making it up. Making it up? Why would I make something like this up? Well we got into it and I finally said to call the police before I realized they were probably well connected in the town (due to their wealth) and that in the third world it is never wise to talk with the police.
Bottom line: DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU ARE CONCERNED ABOUT YOUR PRIVACY. The fact that no other travelers were staying there said something in itself but it also raises the question of if something happened there to you that there are no other travelers to talk to about it.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank wanderingtheworld200
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2010

Can recommend this one. Just north of town and not far to walk to Boulevard Los Heroes with plenty of restaurants nearby too. USD 30 for a double room which includes breakfast, with some very friendly staff. Nice little pool in the back garden for relaxing, although mostly in the shade in the afternoon due to the trees. We had a double room with shared bath. Both spotlessly clean.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends