“Great!”

Sunflower B&B Hotel
Ranked #35 of 111 Hotels in Kiev
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Confortable, great and friendly staff, very well located, nice breakfast!
What else to ask for?

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Sunflower B&B Hotel

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Is it a Ukrainian custom to adjust rates overnight? I searched for medium priced accommodation for one night in a fairly central area of Kiev. This place was recommended by someone I knew on Trip Adviser. However, one night's accommodation suddenly went from 105 Euros, to 240 Euros for a single room, overnight.

This isn't exactly good business practice. I emailed the B+B, explaining we would need to cancel, since because we were only there for one night, and the new price for one night in Canadian dollars was now +$300. $300 for one night? Before EURO2012 started!? For an average B+B outside of the historic district?

However they didn't offer to change the price back or work with us. So bye bye Sunflower and hello a very well written up hotel nearby, for 95 Euro. Nazdovya!

Room Tip: Don't travel during EURO2012, be clear about all extra charges (credit card charge involved) and...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dibbyfromtheblock
Reviewed May 27, 2012

With the help of "Lonely Planet" and the reviews posted on Trip Advisor, which I filter out and find reliable, we chose Sunflower as our abode for three days in Kyiv. We were not disappointed. The breakfast is not sensational but adequate. The ladies in the office were very friendly and helpful.

We had arranged an airpoirt pickup, which is essential unless one speaks Ukrainian or Russian. The driver was a bit late coming to pick us up upon departure which caused some consternation but we made our flight to Odesa.

It took a while to have an internet connection but finally it worked and was free. I had some laundry done and found it a bit dear.

All in all, Sunflower was a very pleasant place to stay while in the capital. The location is handy, the bed comfortable and bathroom OK.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Our stay at "Sunflower" left us with maximally positive impressions. Though the place is not a luxurious hotel, its quality goes beyond what one could expect from an average (or even more than average) B&B. The central location allows an easy access to Kiev's major attractions as well as the public transport. The rooms are exceptionally clean and equipped with all the essentials (including a free access to Wi-Fi). The service (both the reception staff and the driver transporting the guests from/to the airport) is by all means friendly. It happened twice that we were brought a kettle of green tea to our room, accompanied by two French-type cookies -- a fully complimentary treat! Last but not least, the generous breakfasts deserve a special attention. They were delivered on a wheeled table, with food nicely arranged in sunflower-decorated dishware. Eating them in the solitude of the room created a cozy feeling of being almost at home. What else can one wish for?

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank seagenga
Reviewed April 3, 2012

This B&B exceeded my expectations!

Location: Just off the main square, in good walking distance to most attractions, and restaurants. Easy access to public transport. Set in a little alleyway that prevents the noise from the street reaching the hotel.

People: The two staff we met were very friendly and helpful. One young girl happily organised our taxi to the airport and investiaged many attractions for us over the phone, including the Opera.

Room: Cosy and comfortable with a modern bathroom and everything you would expect from a Western B&B. Although the braodband is not Wi Fi.

Breakfast: Simple continental breakfast with cereal, toast, fruit, yoghurt, tea, and juice. Bottled water is also provided in the room at no cost.

I recommend this B&B without hesitation.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank travelbug3009
Reviewed January 26, 2012

When i arrived -my first trip to eastern europe- my immediate thought was: is this a hotel or a floor in a block of flats?

A Ukrainian friend told me that Kiev has a problem in that it has lots of 'stalinist' 5* hotels, but almost no good 3-4* hotels. As such, Kiev hotels are almost the same price as western european hotels. They joked that they have the most expensive (branded hotel) rooms in europe.

The Sunflower is a great backup. The staff are very friendly and speak English (very useful in a country that generally does not). The room is boiling hot and well stocked in size, furniture, extras. Once you get over the expensive nature of Kiev hotels, and the slightly weirdness of them. It's great.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank olfrog
Reviewed January 13, 2012

I stayed here because I've never seen such good reviews for anything before. I booked a transfer to and from the airport. My bag got lost, so I had to wait over an hour to get everything sorted. Our transfer was weird. All our driver did was complain about how bad drivers were in the Ukraine (while turning completely around to tell us this and having both hands off the steering wheel). We got to the hotel, after about 30 minutes of silence in the car and the receptionist asked us for our passports right away. I wanted to wait to get our passports back before we headed out and she took her time chatting to the driver for over 30 minutes. Not a very warm welcome. We went out to get something to eat and couldn't find any productties/little supermarkets, so I asked the receptionist. Instead of telling us where one was, she asked 'why do you need to know?' When I said to buy snacks, she told us to go to McDonalds. Later, we found a soviet style producttie across the street, called Ukrainian Bread.

The breakfast is stale bread and pastry, with liquid like yoghurt and fruit juice, fruit and condiments. I wasn't impressed and it didn't make me feel too well. We stayed there for over a week and every day the bread managed to be stale, even if we got it right away.

And even though you agree a time with them for breakfast, they knock on your door till you get up and get it, which I found a little annoying.

It's a nice room with all the accessories. They very kindly let us borrow a lap top, although the internet connection is very, very slow.

Like I said in the review, 3 of the people in reception were extremely friendly and smiley, one is not. This is the same one who wouldn't tell us where the small supermarket was. When the electricity went out, I went out of the room to ask when it will be back on to which she replied, 'why don't you go outside and explore?'

I must add that we were sick nearly our whole time there, but that just seemed to have them not like us, even though I told them we weren't feeling well (and had to spend a lot of time on in the bathroom).

I didn't love it, I didn't hate it. I think 95 euros a night is a bit steep, but it was centrally located and includes breakfast. So I can't really complain.

They forgot to book our return transfer, which made me a little upset. It was the same receptionist with an attitude. She booked us a cab instead and while we were leaving, the only thing she said to me was to put on a hat, it's not summer! Which anyone will know visiting gas rich countries, they keep indoors about 50 degrees Celsius and I was holding my hat in my hands.

You definitely need to know how to read syrillic to get around if you visit the Ukraine!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple