“A life saver!”

Ranked #35 of 110 Hotels in Kiev
Zurich, Switzerland
“A life saver!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

We arrived by train in Kiev and had planned to stay in a hostel near the train station. No chance! Found the supposed building but couldn't find a sign, a door or a hostel. And then, it started pouring. Girls were losing their high heels in the rivers that had formed on the streets. So we decided to call the Sunflower and got a double room for a couple of nights. More expensive than a hostel, but not as high as the hotels, the sunflower is the perfect in between. Our (wet) arrival was warmly welcomed and our shoes were lovingly placed in the warm laundry room. The rooms are very clean, spacious and somewhat "fresh", sunflower being the overall theme. There isn't any wifi, but the B&B provided us with a laptop computer so as to access internet. And then there was the breakfast! The fact that there isn't a table in the room, means that you sip orange juice and munch on a whole lot of goodies lying around on the bed, knowing that the room will be perfectly made up a little later on. The B&B saved our Kiev stay, and the ideal location meant we could aimlessly wander the streets of this intriguing city.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trouble_Agent

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
Stoke-on-Trent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2011

I stayed 4 nights in Kyiv and I changed from the hotel I originally planned to stay at to the Sunflower based on its reviews on TripAdvisor, and they were not wrong.

The hotel is in the centre of Kyiv and is perfectly located for seeing the sights of the city. At the bottom of the road is Independence Square, and from here Khreshchatyk is only one to two minutes’ walk away. Most sights can be easily reached on foot from the hotel, and there is a Metro station beneath Independence Square for the sights that can’t (only 2UAH (about 16p) between any 2 stations).

The staff I met (Zoya, Tatyana and Anna) were very welcoming (as a previous review stated, it was like being welcomed into a very good friend's home), and they were always friendly and helpful, despite me often being in and out of their office asking for information/directions/advice and often dropping off/collecting my room key, sometimes several times in a day. They made it a very easy, enjoyable and comfortable stay, and I’d say we parted as good friends.

People have been worried about the hotel being down an alley, but this passage is clean and lit at night. In fact, I don’t think I’ve felt safer than when in Kyiv.

Although in the centre of Kyiv, the area the Sunflower B&B is in was surprisingly quiet. My room (No 2) was spacious and clean and had everything needed for a comfortable stay. The modern en-suite was larger than at some hotels and contained both a bath and a shower. Every day the room was cleaned and a new bottle of drinking water left.

And every morning breakfast was delivered to my room at exactly the time I’d chosen. I’d get another knock on the door 2 minutes later if the breakfast was still outside my room. The breakfast itself consisted of: tea or coffee (whichever you chose), orange juice, cereal, 2 pieces of toast (wrapped in a napkin to keep them warm), a cake (once I had 4 Jaffa cakes), yoghurt, butter, jam, honey, cheese triangle(s), a piece of fruit, and sugar and milk for the hot drink. The breakfast easily sustained me for 5-6 hours of nearly continuous walking. Some older reviews say that the coffee is undrinkable: the coffee you get now is very good.

Although there isn’t a restaurant at the hotel, there are several restaurants and bars within 5 minutes’ walk that do cheap food and beer (including a food court in the shopping centre beneath Independence Square and a McDonalds at the hotel end of Independence Square), and, of course, there are many restaurants and bars on Khreshchatyk.

I would advise booking airport transfers through the hotel. It makes life so much easier, and the driver (Valentyn in my case) was very nice and told me about life in Kyiv and about the route we were taking. He also helped to carry my luggage up the stairs to my room. I paid $35 each way – Borispil is about 30km from the hotel; not bad considering other taxis charged a lot more.

My room cost 80 Euros per night with breakfast included, and as a total package, the hotel is great value for the price you pay and I would highly recommend it to everyone. I’m certainly going to stay there again the next time I visit Kyiv.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2011

So, I've been in Ukraine for a month. I've been in Kiev for 2 weeks and traveling around the south and east of the country for 2 more.
I've stayed in four star hotels and in two star hovels. The Sunflower B&B is by far the best of all of them and reasonably priced.
The room is as big as the one in the four-star hotel.
But in the four-star hotel, they didn't bring you breakfast in bed (well, on a trolley to your room every morning).
The place is clean and bright with high ceilings and big windows.
The rooms open up on the back of the building so it is relatively quiet, thought it is steps from Independence Sq. and the Metro.
They don't have a restaurant on the premises, but you're in the center of town if you stay here, so a short walk offers many choices for a meal.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank GreggGonsalves
Cheshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2011

Had a 3 day break in Kyiv (following the Europa League) and we selected the Sunflower.
Great location in Kyiv, being just off Khreschatyk Street, 3 mins from Independence Square and 5 mins from the Lobanovsky Stadium.
It's not really a hotel in the traditional sense of the word, moreover, it's a number of rooms on a single floor in a 4 or 5 storey building.
Our room was large, light, with ensuite and kitchenette, dressing gowns, slippers, bottled water, air-con, satellite TV (although very few English speaking channels - perhaps not entirely surprising!), nice quality furniture, security safe, internet access (wired not wi-fi) and breakfast delivered to your room. All fixtures and fittings were in excellent condition and everything was clean.
The building was accessed via a small alley off Kostelnaya - as others have mentioned the alley looks a bit scruffy but it's illuminated at night, and swept every day. Never did we feel in any danger in Kyiv.
Staff were pleasant, and even loaned me a laptop, as all my internet devices were wi-fi...and their access was wired.
They arranged transport to/from the airport at a reasonable price, and the drivers were very talkative and very informative.
Would highly recommend if you're looking for a base for your stay in Kyiv, but don't necessarily want all the facilities that come with a larger establishment, which is reflected in the room rate.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank StokiePokie
Woking
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2011

I stayed at the Sunflower for three nights in September 2011 based on previous reviews on Tripadvisor. This is a charming small hotel located in the city centre. I paid Euro 80 per night for bed and breakfa which is extremely cheap for Kiev. Staff were welcoming and helpful on arrival and throughout my stay. My room was comfortable, very clean and had everything I needed including free internet access, Breakfast was delivered to my room at a pre arranged time and was fresh and tasty.
Previous reviews are accurate and I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Peter N
Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

After having spent a week in Ukraine on business I stayed another two days on my own visiting the great city of Kiev. B&B Sunflower was a perfect spot to do so. It is next to the central square of the town, just a walk away from a number of the city's highlights and the subway taking you to any other place worth visiting (and there're a lot in Kiev!). Reception is very friendly and helpful, room is spacious, astonishingly quite considering the fact that you're in the very city centre, good bed, clean bathroom. As to breakfast: you have to take it in the room (but the trolley wheeled to your door has everything you need). Great value for the price you pay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank RichardBelgium
Bratislava, Slovakia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

We stayed here for 5 nights and can only recommend this place. It is perfectly located - just few steps from the main street Kreschatik with its pubs and restaurants. On the other hand, it is located in quiet inner courtyard enabling peaceful sleep.
Staff were always helpful.
Rooms are spacious enough, tastefully and practically furnished and clean. Bathroom well equipped.
The only flaw – no elevator.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple