“Hyatt is the best for modern/trendy in Kyiv”
Review of Hyatt Regency Kiev

Hyatt Regency Kiev
Ranked #5 of 111 Hotels in Kiev
United States
“Hyatt is the best for modern/trendy in Kyiv”
Reviewed January 17, 2011

Having stayed in all three Western chain hotels in Kyiv - Intercontinental, Hyatt, and Radisson for business and pleasure - let me tell you about the differences. First, exclude Radisson right away if you can afford to. It is definitely the least luxurious of the three. It is still very nice by Ukrainian standards, but not worth the money. In my opinion, the Intercontinental and the Hyatt are equals, but are very different hotels, so choose according to your tastes. The most important thing to consider is that the Intercontinental is a classically styled hotel with plush, warm colors - a place you would expect old money to hang out in despite it being very new. The Hyatt is a modern design with lots of glass and interesting architecture. I think the service in both is equally outstanding, conference and meeting room space in both are great, but perhaps the Hyatt gets slightly higher marks in the food category. I think the restaurant choices in the Hyatt are more interesting and eclectic with the top-quality Asian restaurant. Admittedly, I have only tried the spa in the Intercontinental (which was very nice - I never saw another person in there, so it felt like my own private spa), therefore I can't compare that to the Hyatt. The Intercontinental's underground heated pool in the spa is beautiful and I thought all of the spa rooms were quite nice - massage, steam room, sauna, pool, locker rooms - all top notch and spotless. Kudos to Intercontinental for making the hotel feel small and personal despite its capacity.

Intercontinental gets extra points for the room's minibar being included in the room price (although just beer and water, it's a nice touch). The Hyatt does not offer that perk. I almost always choose the Intercontinental when booking rooms for business travelers visiting Kyiv because they give us breakfast included in the same room price as the Hyatt offers without breakfast. For me and my business, that is enough to make them victorious over the Hyatt, so you get a sense of how equal I feel the hotel properties are standing alone. If the Hyatt and Intercontinental gave the same benefits, and for those of you considering personal travel when the price and benefits are basically the same, then I think I would choose the Hyatt for myself, only because I prefer the modern style and food choices. It also feels slightly less stuffy and formal, which I prefer when staying in a hotel. It's just a personal choice. I like class, but I don't want to feel like I have to dress up too much to enjoy it when away from home. The Hyatt makes me feel more relaxed in casual clothes anywhere in the hotel.

The Hyatt's breakfast buffet is a bit bettter than the Intercontinental's. The rooms at the two hotels feel different - again, classic style versus a more modern approach. I give a slight nod to Intercontinental's bathroom. Somehow it just feels more luxurious, even though it is very similar to Hyatt's.

Bottom line: choose whichever hotel suits your desires better: classic/warm/more personal or modern/trendy and open design. And if one is cheaper than the other for the same type of room and benefits, then choose the cheaper one if you don't care about the style of the hotel. You won't go wrong with either.

The Intercontinental and the Hyatt get incredibly high marks for customer service. I always feel welcomed in the hotel and I've never had a bad experience. The staff at every point is friendly, competent, and they work very hard to maintain high standards, by any international standard.

I have not stayed in the Opera Hotel or the Premier Palace, which are two other top choices in the city. I have visited both though, and based on what I've seen, I would still recommend the Intercontinental or Hyatt over them. The Opera Hotel especially is similar in design to the Intercontinental, so if you prefer a more modern, trendy feeling, then choose the Hyatt for sure. I also prefer the more central location of the Intercontinental and Hyatt over the Opera and Premier Palace.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank OU812Kiev

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 14, 2011

I travel exclusively on business and care only for a clean room, low noise and workout facilities. The rooms and lobby of the Hyatt are impeccable but the main reason I will always stay at this hotel is the gym and spa. I workout so I can eat the wonderful food and drink the excellent libations of the city i am in. The gym and spa at the Hyatt allow me to indulge in unlimited Sala and pepper vodka. I Thank you but my liver does not. The gym is well stocked and you will want for nothing. Bottled water, apples, towels, headphones flat screens, sauna, showers, an entire room with mats, TV treadmills, machines, free weights.... Excellent. The best may be the personal trainer Inna. She has been at the Hyatt at each of my five stays the past year. She is pleasant and extremely knowledgeable. I run frequently and she advises on routes. She has even jumped on a treadmill before to encourage me on a long run! Whatever you do, do not challenge her to a push up contest. You will lose. Thank you Inna and thank you Hyatt for caring about your customers. Room service breakfast is also great.i

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank SNFinancials
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed December 19, 2010

We have spent three nights at the Hyatt Regency while on a business trip to Kiev.
The hotel facilities are extraordinary, trendy and very nicely decorated.
The rooms are up to the standard of a five stars hotel, comfortable, clean and spacious.
The breakfast was varied, rich and full of fresh ingredients and home made cakes and bakery. Everything is impeccable, except for the service, namely at the lobby and at the Asia Grill , where at times you can be treated rather in a 3 star pension and not at accordingly with Hyatt standards.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank hazinheira
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 14, 2010

I have stayed at the Hyatt many times and in 2 years have not had one single negative experience. The service is impeccable, the rooms spacious and clean. The Pool and Spa are the best in Kiev and the Food is fresh. The staff remembers ones name and makes you feel like a very valued customer. Excellent service.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2010

I stayed for 2 nights in the Hyatt Regency in Kiev and I must say it is a great hotel. Nice rooms , friendly staff, modern design, 5 minutes walking distance from the main square of the city. Exactly what I was looking from a city hotel. And not expensive for a 5 * hotel in a post Soviet country.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Dublin
Reviewed October 14, 2010

Lovely hotel, great fitness centre and pool, sauna, etc., huge bed, nice modern airy architecture, smiley people. Got a good rate as I am here for a conference, but I guess it is expensive if you don't have a decent rate. I'd recommend anyone to stay here if it is within budget. Try to get a breakfast included rate though - at over 30 euros, it's a bit steep. But the internet is free.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank barneyDublin
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed October 11, 2010

There's really nothing to shout about its room. Its offer a pretty modern and stylish hotel room but its pretty standard. The service staff was great tho... They always have a smile on them.

They offer free Internet in the room! That's a plus point!

The hotel location is very strategic. It overlooks the old kyiv city and located within 5 mins stroll from the St. Sophia's Cathedral. Its a stone throw away from the main shopping street around the hotel. It has a small lil park nearby as well.

There's also a large selection for food and variety breakfast to choose from. We arrived relatively at at night and yet found comfort in hot food at one of the restaurants.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business