“Nice and luxury hotel to stay”
Review of Opera Hotel

Opera Hotel
Ranked #4 of 112 Hotels in Kiev
Reviewed May 15, 2014

This is third time I stay in this hotel in last few month. First time I've got a smaller double room but nice, clean and very comfortable. After second time you will automatically get an upgrade for free. Very quiet location, nice hotel and fantastic service. Luxury spa you can relax and small fitness but good enough for exercise. But hotel restaurant is fantastic. Service is amazing and I felt like I'm only one guest and all taking care of me - but nice way not bothering me at all, always ready to serve. fantastic. Thank you. It's my pleasure to stay here.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
DavidMohren, General Manager at Opera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Dear Karel C,

first of all thank you very much for taking the time to write this Review.
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you very much for the good Comments. We will continue to improve our Services on a constant basis to ensure that especially our regular guests are satisfied with their experience.

We are very much looking forward to welcome you again at the Opera Hotel during your next trip to Kiev.

Best regards,

Reviewed February 16, 2014

I chose this hotel from the internet reviews, Google Maps and TA since I did not want a hotel near the demonstrations at the Main Square or Town Hall. This turned out to be an excellent choice. Luxury rooms with elegant bathroom, nice staff with excellent English, etc. Great facade and lobby, and a short 10 min walk to a shopping mall where can get groceries at a Supermarket.

High;y recommended

Room Tip: I got a rom with a bath which was nice, looking out over a courtyard but it was quiet
2  Thank DRMB
DavidMohren, General Manager at Opera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Dear DRMB,

thank you very much for taking the time to write this review.
We are extremely happy that we were able to satisfy such an experienced Traveler like you.
Thank you very much for the nice Comments which I will for sure pass to our staff.
We are looking forward to welcome you again at the Opera Hotel during your next visit to Kiev.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

I'm currently in Kiev on business travel for a week. I was pleasantly surprised with the selection of this hotel. I tried to find a hotel that was moderately priced with nice amenities for its value and in a quiet location, preferably a distance away from the Independence Square where there are currently some political tensions and barricades. I think this one fit the bill well. There are also other business travelers in this hotel which further supports my selection of hotel. The lobby is a litle small but the decor is very pleasing and sophisticated as well as the backdrop of elegant jazz music. I even recall seeing a harpist in the lobby during one of the evenings. My room was nice and clean with high ceilings, and the furniture & decor are sophisticated. The bath amenities are of good quality. The room temperature control is comfortable and quiet. I only wished that the room had better lighting and a coffee/tea pot in my room since I have been working on the computer for many hours during the day and night for my business. The pillows are also a little on the small side but if you stack them up, no problem. The wi-Fi has worked well. Although the room service menu is limited, the food has been flavorful and delivery time has been adequate. There is turn-down service in the evenings. The hotel is situated in a quiet residential neighborhood and within walking distance to a few shops and cafes. You'll need good walking shoes if you plan to walk to the various sites and attractions which are about 10-30 minutes walk.

All of the staff are professional and friendly at this hotel. From the person who opens the door at the front of the hotel to the staff at the reception and concierge desks & spa who greet each guest. I had a hotel driver pick me up from the airport in an MB towncar with a late night arrival. His availability was timely and his service was courteous. The service provided on all levels was friendly and professional. The check-in was smooth.

The breakfast buffet was nice and adequate. I particularly liked the breakfast room nook with large windows and plenty of outdoor natural lighting. That's when I most felt like I was at home. The chandelier in the central dining room is quite impressive. There was a little bit of a delay with getting coffee each morning at the breakfast table, so if you're in a hurry take note. I kind of wished this hotel or cafes down the street provided coffee-to-go, which I understand is rare in this city. The gym was a little bit on the small side but had the necessary equipment and situated well within the spa.

No doubt that if I returned back to Kiev, for business or personal travel, I would return to the Opera Hotel. If you're a frequent international business traveler, you would know that the value of this hotel is right on mark when you do the comparisons. I didn't have to end up spending an arm and a leg at the Intercontinental and Hyatt Regency when I was able to get similar amenities on a smaller scale here at the Opera Hotel. I don't think this hotel will disappoint. It's classy and highly recommended. Very safe and comfortable overall for the business traveler.

1  Thank UCIAlumni1991

Dear UCIAlumni1991,

thank you very much for taking the time to write this Review.
We are really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
However we will as well work on to improve the issues that you have mentioned so that we are able to satisfy you 100% during your next visit at the Opera Hotel in Kiev.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

This is an excellent hotel in every respect and I consider amongst the very best. I have stayed a couple of times and planning another trip and propose to return to the hotel. What impresses me most about the hotel is the friendly, engaging and professional staff. Nothing seems too much trouble and the service is very quick indeed...there is no waiting here! The staff have helped me with my language skills and are knowledgeable about Kyiv and can advise you on your travel needs and what's on. I was very impressed by the speed with which the concierge organised tickets to the recent Ukrainian National Dance Company (Virsky) concerts at the Palace of Arts - a "must see" by the way! The tickets were waiting for me on my arrival, which was much appreciated. The rooms are very comfortable and I love the rose petals in the bath room! But some tips: First try the restaurant...the food is very nice, though Ukrainian portions are not petite! A starter can be a main...and "hot starter" really does mean a main. (Same as in the US!) Second if you are an ice cream lover this is your heaven! Ice cream is not on the menu so ask for it...the chef makes it...I think it must be his hobby and it is to die for!!! Third go for the burgers Ukrainian style...the best ever! Fourth try the Ukrainian wine. Hotels and restaurants such as the Opera in Kyiv get the pick of the best and Ukrainian wine from the south is simply the very best (red) and white is good too. It is also cheaper than imports. Fifth the hotel is just 5 - 10 mins walk from University metro station so use it. Avoid using taxis during the morning and evening rush hours...Kyiv has changed and the traffic jams can delay you! Use the metro in any event just for the experience...it is so cheap I don't know why they don't just make it free. Overall I found the hotel offers great value for the standards it offers. A home from home. Hope this helps! Very difficult to find fault.

Room Tip: I always go for the standard rooms. They offer everything you could possibly need so why pay more bu...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

Dear Roman1,

first of all thank you very much for the detailed Feedback about your stay with us.
We are very happy and proud that we could completely satisfy you during your stay with us.
We really hope that we have the chance to accommodate you again at the Opera Hotel during your next visit to Kiev.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

I stayed 3 nights in Opera Hotel in February. To be honest the hotel is in general good, especially the staff is very friendly and professional. Housekeeping is decent, the rooms and the bathrooms are very clean. I have not tried the spa however the gym is quite small. The check-in, check-out process was fast and good. On the other hand it is just a standard hotel compared to the services you get. It is way overpriced!
The restaurant in the hotel is serving decent food but again very expensive. It was also disappointing for me not to have proper Ukrainian dishes. Overall you totally miss the feeling that you are in Ukraine in the hotel.
It is a very good hotel if you want to feel like you are anywhere in western Europe but if you would like experience Ukraine I do not think it is the right place.

Dear DSS_Willow,

first of all thank you very much for taking the time to write this Review.
We are very grateful for the compliments for our Service and are looking already forward to welcome you again at the Opera Hotel during your next visit to Kiev.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

When the best is home from home, warm, welcoming and an irresistible haven to come back to time and time and time again
The wonderfully located Opera Hotel is just a few minutes away from the city centre of the Kiev to my mind the most beautiful of European cities. I have never seen another city with so many golden globes of the amazing St. Volodymyr's Cathedral, Saint Sophia Cathedral, and Kiev Opera House is just around the corner, within easy is the Golden Gate to the city of Kie.
I have had the pleasure of staying in many of the standard rooms some newly refurbished to a very high quiet and relaxing standard, the Superior rooms somewhat larger than the standard have comfortable settees with quite lighting for relaxation after the work days end. The suites are all themed Japanese, Moroccan Suite with a super large balcony for those summer evenings to look down on the tree lines boulevard below. American or executive suite and Italian elegant superior furnishings, deep luxurious carpets, heavy ceiling to floor drapes, standard lamps with all that the modern traveler may need, such as complimentary high speed internet, Panasonic portable telephones, flat screen modern TV’s, safe all with a great many satellite stations to meet the demands of most nationalities. There is a working size desk in every room with spare plugs enough for all computing and phone charging needs. 24 hour front desk (reception) business centre, secretary available on request this hotel can be your office away from home.
Of course like all 5 star quality hotels the Opera Hotel has the Diva Spar with such treatments to spoil and enhance your senses. This spa which I finally have now used on at least two occasions is just what is needed after your long day or even long trip to Kiev. You can try the traditional Thai, Polynesian, hot stone massages, there is a gym, sauna Jacuzzi, and trained beauticians with top European cosmetics to enhance your wellbeing, many more treatments for men and ladies this Anne Semonin spa caters for every one that needs the use of a very friendly and modern spa.
It is impossible to stay at the Opera Hotel without using the Teatro fine dining restaurant and Bellini’s bar. Bellini’s Bar is a snug cozy little bar serving local and international beers with a great selections of wines, whiskies, cognacs and cocktails and a good selection of bar food, the bar extends to the outside terrace in the summer months and is a cool place to people watch, if you’re a man to watch the very beautiful well attired ladies on their way to and from work, work is not all bad sometimes from such a location
The beautiful lobby with a white grand piano, and on some evenings a wonderful harpist playing soft easy listening music, the lobby is always bedecked with the finest of floral arrangements, big settees and area’s to hold private conversations, . Service from Bellini’s Bar can be obtained in the lobby so you don’t have to leave meetings with friends or business contacts.
Kirill Kuleshov Chief Concierge member of "Les Clefs d'Or" The concierge is an award winning concierge and they can sort you out with transportation, tickets, where night life and restaurants are should you desire to dine out, phone cards , onward reservation’s they are indeed a very helpful, full service professional, pleasant ever willing to assist the needs of guests is a welcome part of Opera Hotel.
Teatro the fine dining restaurant on the second, since the coming of that wonderful Corporate Executive Chef Emmanuel Soares a year or so ago I have seen personally that with his two trusted wingmen Paulo Vas and Eric Testes the food had good from good to better the breakfast has perhaps one of the best spreads available, cold meats, salads, many different breads, yogurts’, honey’s including honeycomb, freshly squeezed juices, selections of teas, hot dishes vegetable, eggs boiled or scrambled or to order, bacon mushrooms and tomatoes, brilliant, They do a super businessman’s lunch at a very reasonable price with a very varied and delicious choice I had the pleasure to have lunch there twice during my last visits. I would eat there many times again into the future. They have the businessmans lunch card which will entitle the holder to every 10th lunch on the house.
It’s in the evening that the Teatro Restaurant finds itself as truly remarkable fine dining venue. The food here has the favours of Provence emanating from Emmanuel Soares background, I think they do one of the best steaks ever done in any hotel I have stayed in with Foiegras and truffles its food to die for.
There are pasta dishes and local ukrainian dishes and you could do worse than try the tantalizing tasteful ukrainian dips that start the meal.
During any meal or drink that you make partake of in the hotels restaurants or bars you will meet a tall very hard working Food and Beverage director Stephan Masche he is always asking if you require anything and seems to be everywhere all at the same time a consummate professional.
This is my third time back at Opera Hotel in the last few months it has become a true home from home.
It is so very special to get out of the car and have the welcome start as the doorman opens the door and says hallo to me by name. I walk into and down the few steps to the lobby the flowers are welcome , the concierge desk says a warm welcome, likewise the reception say welcome back to Opera Hotel Mr. Finn please sign your preregistered check in card, and I am on the way to the room, however by this time Mr. David Mohren the professional and extremely pleasant general manager, who has made such a success of this hotel since he came little more than a year ago, is saying welcome back to your home in Kiev, how could you not like this welcome its sincere not like in some places where it is quite obviously a job. I have stayed as the most traveled person some 7000 hotel beds and have a great idea which is good or not, this is why I share me views so that others my share the same experiences I have myself.
I will be going back to Kiev and the Opera Hotel in couple of weeks’ time for some more of that good old fashioned warmth and welcome that is entirely persona of this Hotel.
A small tip they have a Pinot Noir house wine from Ukraine ist brilliant try it you will like it for sure.
Keep up the good work it shows and people like me love it

Room Tip: all rooms are unique depends if you want to look out over the street ot the side of the hotel
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank flyfinnn
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I stayed at the Opera Hotel two times in the last few months. The first visit went beautifully in November. Great reception staff led by Vladmir, great Concierge group, great service from restaurant staff and nice housekeeping during our stay. Room was adequate size and quite comfortable. Location is very good - close to some attractions, subway, and nice restaurants. We particularly enjoyed Piccolino's nearby. The food at the hotel was very good...we loved dinner there. Staff was very good, although food was slow from kitchen on first visit. On our second visit, it was improved.
Our second stay over the New Year was not at the previous level. We had a an issue develop with housekeeping. We had brought along a nice bottle of champagne and some wines for the New Years celebration. We enjoyed it and kept it separated from the trash container. Items that are trash would be put in the trash container. Some days, items clearly put on the trash container were not picked up and disposed of. However, the champagne bottle had sentimental value...it was not even close to the trash area...it was thrown away. It was with our other bottles of water and juice. Other wine was there too. These items were our property. Maybe minor for some, but so disappointing to us that it was thrown away. Upon check out I made the suggestion that in the future it would be a good idea to not discard people's things if they were not in the trash. Clearly they were aware of the incident and became rude. I was told that it was empty, what was the issue? I was just trying to assist with some customer advice, the girl could have handled this so much better. Some training would be helpful. I then checked my bill and saw that I was charged for an extra day...their mistake. I enjoyed much of the staff, but a few can ruin the experience. We will find another hotel in Kiev next time. I also reviewed this hotel on Expedia...

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank David K

Dear David K,

first of all thank you very much for taking the time to write this Review.
We are very sorry to hear that we could not satisfy you during your stay.
To be able to discuss the issue personally with you, please contact me directly und DMohren@opera-hotel.com.

Best regards,