Tripadvisor

from $11.35
from $81.59
from $100.00
2,267 results
All reviews bell tower thousand years old church kievan rus entrance fee take photos beautiful building golden gate frescoes century kyiv complex architecture sophia unesco michaels domes
Selected filters
Reviewed January 20, 2020 via mobile

It’s not only the one main building here, there are also an ensemble of supporting structures such as a bell tower and the House of Metropolitan. I really loved how it looks like, it’s amazing building… I came here with the same guide I took for my whole trip. I also took her to the Kyiv military tour, where I didn’t need a translation though.. She was my company for that! She told me the whole history of the Saint Sophia Cathedral.

Date of experience: September 2019
Reviewed January 16, 2020 via mobile

Beautiful architecture… beautiful murals here… We talked about them with the guide on different tour, military tour with tank riding from Kyiv military tours. The instructors were well educated and told me many interesting stories about the Saint Sophia Cathedral. It’s an outstanding architectural monument of Kievan Rus', which was built in 11th century. For example, Saint Sophia Cathedral was named one of the Seven Wonders of Ukraine!

Date of experience: July 2019
Reviewed January 7, 2020

The blue and gold of St Sophia looks very beautiful. The Christmas market was right next to it. You can walk uphill from the main square

Date of experience: January 2020
Reviewed January 7, 2020 via mobile

One of the many of chapels, churches and cathedrals in town, this cathedral is a highlight because of its history, beauty, location (very central on a grand square) and accessibility (you can just show up and buy a ticket, and it’s not expensive).
Take about two hours to visit the cathedral and also the adjacent buildings.
Going up the bell tower is a must, both because of the impressive construction and the views over the city on the top floor.

Date of experience: September 2019
Reviewed January 5, 2020 via mobile

Not a lot of English information, but definitely worth walking through the complex. You don’t need a guide or to pay to get into the general complex, and it’s only approx. $2 USD to enter the higher areas of Saint Sophia Cathedral and the Lavra bell tower. Plenty of people will approach you for a guided tour but we felt that we had a good experience just wandering on our own. The caves are very dark and narrow so I recommend a candle if you want to go in. They were quite busy when we visited, with many people grouped and praying, travelling in both directions and the ceilings were very low. Women must cover their hair so bring a hat, scarf, or hood. The view from the top of the bell tower was great and well worth the climb! Easy to see everything in about an hour.

Date of experience: January 2020