“Could have been really good”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Kyiv
Ranked #9 of 112 Hotels in Kiev
Reviewed June 8, 2013

The hotel is close to the city center, in a very nice building. The rooms are comfortable, in line with what we can expect from this kind of hotel. But there are things that make this hotel only average:
- breakfast is really badly organized: not enough staff to manage the clients, the table are not cleaned to leave place to new comers
- fitness room: well equiped but not kind of a mess (machines not alined or not well organized)
- service: no proactive service from the hotel
It is not a bad hotel but it has to improve.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
GMRadissonKiev, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Kyiv, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear Fred,
thank you for your feedback given on you recent stay with us. My apologies for the breakfast service - we have had some very busy days and some challenges which have been remedied since. As to you feedback on both the organization of the fitness area as well as "no proactive staff" - I would much appreciate if you could give me more specific feedback as for me to take corrective actions where needed.
My email is andreas.fluckiger@radissonblu.com
Looking forward to your mail - kind regards,
andreas

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Good service, clean & spacious room, good bar on the ground floor, breakfast is excellent with ample choice. Overall good Hotel, the only other choice if Hyatt Hotel which is overrated.

By Ukrainian standard value for money

Room Tip: Choose the room facing Yaroslaviv val Street
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Stone S
Reviewed May 30, 2013

At the time of my stay I was Gold member of Club Carlson.

I had no choice but this hotel as it was the only on the list of preferred hotels in Kiev and I was on business trip. I usually rate Radisson blu somewhat higher than Holiday Inn but not much.

The hotel itself is located on some faceless side street leading to Kreschatik (Kiev's "main" street - about 15 minutes walk). Hotel interiors look like they were recently renovated.

Check-inand check-out formalities were handled quite expediently. I asked for a quiet room and received one on 7th floor overlooking side street, so noise was not an issue. My Gold status was acknowledged, but did not result in any upgrade, as far as I understand I've got "standard" room (in Radisson blu world upgraded rooms are called "Business class" and are either bigger or offer better amenities).

Room was of decent size with quite comfortable king size bed, work desk and TV. Bathroom was of shower over bath type and offered standard Anne Semonin toiletries (which I actually like).

Beware of connecting rooms - my colleague stayed in such a room and was not able to sleep because of the noise penetrating through connecting door.

Granted it was January, but rooms were quite overheated to my (and my colleagues) liking so I spent several nights with window open.

Restaurant downstairs serves decent breakfast with cold cuts, usual hot stuff (eggs. bacon etc) and egg station if one wants something cooked to order. They also serve (although it is not advertised) coffees from the bar - so if you detest usual hotel brew (I do), ask for espresso/cappuccino/latte.

There seemed to be another restaurant in the building which bizarrely had separate entrance from the street - we never been there (judging by menu it offers sort of overpriced italian food) as it was plenty of other options around the hotel

Overall - decent business-oriented hotel, if you dont mind staying little bit off-center.

If you have any questions related to this particular hotel, please do ask - if I remember I will be glad to answer.

Room Tip: upper floor facing side street if noise is something you avoid. avoid connecting rooms. ask for busi...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Great hotel to stay in Kiev. I don't understand Ukranian so the English speaking staff was excellent in giving us suggestions on where to eat etc. They booked seats for the opera for us and made car arrangements when needed. The breakfast was very good. Good place to stay in central Kiev.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel is in the middle of the historic district of Kiev. We were on a vacation with Grand Circle Travel and enjoyed our 5 night stay. Our room on the top floor was very clean and comfortable. All of the service personnel that we interacted with was cheerful and courteous. The breakfast service was complete with dishes local to the Ukraine and also compatible with American tastes.

We were able to walk to many of the sights to include the Golden Gate, Jewish Synagogue, and beautiful Orthodox Churches. We love the friendly Ukrainian people that we met and bartered with at the extensive shopping street.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marlene_8
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Again, this is a hotel which does the job but is not outstanding. If there was a rating between Average and Very Good, that would be my choice. Impressive architectural exterior, bland international hotel interior. I stayed in a 2nd floor Business level room which was very spacious and quiet, overlooking a side street away from the traffic on Yaroslaviv Val Street. Better mention here the almost constant traffic gridlock found in the centre of Kiev, nothing moves very fast but drivers take it in their stride and there is little grumpiness on the roads. We saw only one minor accident during our five days there. Good breakfast spread, reasonable food but best not to order a cocktail from the charming bar staff - neither my colleague nor I recognised the daquiri or martini we were presented with. One word of warning, on our day of departure the very helpful concierge arranged a car with driver to take us to a major tourist site en route to the airport. The price quoted by the concierge was about half that expected by the car company when we arrived at the airport, and it appeared to be a genuine mix-up. Kiev is interesting, would like to return.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 20, 2013

to the Metro/subway, Golden Gate, shopping, churches, sightseeing, etc. First class service and staff. Safe in room, security at doors. Clean rooms, comfortable beds, and massive breakfast buffet.
Low to no traffic noise while we were there. A great starting point for a tour of the Ukraine.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple