“For Kiev standard, its good.”
Review of Number 21 by DBI

Number 21 by DBI
Ranked #40 of 112 Hotels in Kiev
Reviewed January 28, 2010

The breakfast was fine, with good coffe and omelette made-on-order. Was there at low rpice season, but when at regular price, this is only ok when in Kiev, which in general is expensive considering the standard and service you get. A bit confusion info about taxis, and travel times, but take at least 45 min to airport, whatever they say. Sudden jams can cause delays.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank EuropeTrip_56

Reviewed November 8, 2009

I stayed four nights in the Impressa apartment, which is across the road from the hotel.

The entrance stairs are not promising, but once inside the apartment it is clean and modern with a large bedroom and a kitchen living area with adjoining bedroom. The service was superb. For instance I had a problem switching on the washing machine, so they just took all my clothes and returned them clean and pressed the next morning.

The location is great - easy to reach from the airport and at the bottom of a funicular railway that takes you to the main square.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 1, 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights and let me get straight to the point - do not stay here if a) good, honest service is important to you and b) you're used to paying $300 and actually expecting Western standard of service and amenities . The litany of issues I had with this place is exhaustive, so I'll summarize:

- breakfast was a joke - 2 tasteless hot dishes was all that was offered, and only 2 tables are opened so you have to sit with others
- Free intenet didn't work half the time, and when raised with reception no action was taken
- Staff spoke ordinary English at best, to the extent I at times needed a Ukrainian guest staying there to translate.
- Booked a tour through reception and was quoted $100 for a private tour (ie just me and the guide). The tour ended up having 4 other people, and when I got back reception had the nerve to try charging 100 euros, not dollars, cash only with no receipt provided! I called up the tour give who explained that he charges half that, with the rest being a kick back straight into the reception pocket. It took me a solid half hour with the kind guest-cum-intepreter to negotiate this back to $100 with receipt.
- Upon check-out I asked for a taxi to the airport. A figure of 250 hrynvas ($50) was quoted; I expected this to be a hotel car, but instead a beat-up car arrived 15min later. Again, I assume kickbacks were offered for this. I refused this and hailed down my own cab off the street - I don't speak a word of Russian but still managed to negotiate a rate half of the hotel "taxi".

Overall the stay was a complete disaster. Understood this is Ukraine where certain things will be rough around the edges (which is one of the reasons I loved the city) but when one is paying €195 a night, I expect a whole lot more than what I got. Given the location isn't the greatest either (upper town) I'd highly recommend somewhere like the Hotel Dnipro which is in the lower town near independence square, is also 4 stars and has considerably lower rates.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank liveforever
Reviewed October 2, 2008

My wife and I recently stayed at the Impressa for a four-night visit and were not disappointed. We were first in a single room which was too small for the two of us but then moved to a "luxury room", which happened to be the same price on Friday and Saturday nights as the standard room. This was far more comfortable for a couple. The rooms were clean and reasonably well appointed -- although nothing fancy and not overly big. Most of the staff spoke some English (although did not always understand what we were saying) but made every effort to please us. The Italian restaurant attached to the hotel is also decent (although the breakfast was a bit pathetic). Overall, I would recommend staying here, but don't know how it compares to the competition as I didn't experience it.

Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed February 26, 2008

We stayed at the Impressa Hotel based on the great reviews it had received by other Trip Advisor members, and we were not disappointed. In a city where the norm, that you may expect from a good hotel is hard to count on, the Impressa... Impressed me. The people were fantastic... yes fantastic. The accomondation we selected was a suite on the 1st floor and it was wonderful, I must say, when we 1st arrived I was concerned about both street and lobby noise.... non or at least very minor from within the room. In a city that is a bit rough around the edges, it was nice to come home to the Impressa each night!!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Leirmheastoir
Reviewed February 25, 2008

It being my first stay in Kiev, I booked into the Impressa after reading good reviews of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

The hotel were very efficient in replying to my booking emails although they wouldn't offer any sort of discounted rate - I thought € 180 (euro) per night was expensive for somewhere in this part of the world. The reception staff are very pleasant though.

The hotel doesn't look great from the outside and the rooms are 3 star standard although they are immaculately clean which is welcoming and the bowl of fruit on arrival was a nice touch.

Internet access is free - either through a wireless or wired connection.

A mini bar is available but I bought a bottle of water and beer from a kiosk nearby for about a fifth of the price.

Breakfast was pretty decent although you have to sit around large tables with a few other people which is not ideal.

The location of the hotel is good with the Furnicular railway up the hill and the nearest Metro Station being 2 minutes walk away. For those more hardy a steep climb up steps nearby is another route up to St Sophia's Cathedral and the Old town.

Overall I think that some of the previous reviews have been a little over-generous to the Impressa Hotel. I expected a slightly higher standard of accomodation for the price.

If you are looking for a dependable hotel then the Impressa ticks the right boxes but for a luxurious hotel experience in Kiev then perhaps look at the Hyatt or somewhere similar.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank DevonianBusinessman
Reviewed October 29, 2007

I booked direct with the Hotel and found they responded immediately to emails and also booked a driver to collect me from the Airport. I had a single room which was very clean and well set out although a little noisy being next to a workshop where welding started early.
The staff were delightful and could not have been more helpful. I would thoroughly recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo