“Amazing and moving experience”

Chernobyl City - One Day Tour
Ranked #57 of 165 Tours in Kiev
Type: City Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Our company has specialized in extreme tours to the Chernobyl exclusion zone for several years. We have great experience in planning tours professionally and customer-friendly to one of the most unusual places in the world.Our tours are absolutely safe and do not cause any radioactive harm to your health. The routes of our company tours apply to the strictest directives of the Ukrainian Ministry.Chernobyl-2 is opened for visiting
Reviewed February 17, 2015

Amazing day trip. Very moving to see what has become of this place after the nuclear accident. tour bus and guide were excellent. Every precaution is taken to safeguard visitors.

1  Thank voyageuse6024
"driver"
in 5 reviews
"information"

Reviewed September 18, 2014

I just came back home from Kiev. I got to say I m in love with Kiev and definitely I will go back again in the future. On regards the tour, it was a one in a time live experience. Great transportation, Nick our guide was great, he will answer any questions, friendly , I just don't know what else to say other than GO TO CHERNOBYL. If I was able to live in Kiev, I will not hesitate and stay there.

4  Thank MISHELL S
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Having lived in Ukraine for many years, it took a visit by my best friend to stimulate me to finally go and visit Chernobyl. What a day out! During the drive from Kyiv we watched a relatively recent documentary on what really took place that behind the lack of information at the time and the subsequent misinformation, it was clear that Europe was on the verge of being wiped out by an unseen enemy.

The EvroStandart team of Igor, our guide, and Misha, our driver, were a great combination and we visited so many areas in the exclusion zone and learnt a lot about what happened and what now happens in this area.

The geiger counter is the additional member of the trip and keeps you informed of that unseen enemy, we visited a specific 'hot spot', where the counter just 'buzzed' frantically.

Nature is gradually reclaiming the town of Pripyat and yet so many items remain that touch you, the books in School No.2, the dolls in the kindergarten, the unused amusements, in the park that never opened, there are many more examples.

Many thanks to the EvroStandart team and in particular Igor and Misha for making it an unforgettable journey. Sven and I highly recommend this tour!

1  Thank Mark B
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Just got back from my trip in Kiev. Kiev is amazing city still recovering from the february revolotution but absolutely felt safe and people there are great! Because of the crisis there were more tour options. The price for this tour was 40 dollars less than other similar companies. This with convenient date make me choose them. The communication was simple. A couple of emails, pay a small deposit (30 dollars) threw paypal and thats was it! The tour its self was great. I ll not write info as u ll find everything on google/youtube. But i ll write about the guide of the tour. Marc was great. Combined houmor with basic valueable information, without making your mind explode! Really gifted. The food (was included) was excellent! Dont hesitate to book this tour and also don hesitate to visit Kiev!

2  Thank panosdr
See more reviews
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I am fairly battle hardened to travel experiences in my years of travel, but the day trip to Chernobyl has to be one of the greatest travel experiences I have had to date.

I emailed several operators to check out availability as I was travelling with only a couple of weeks notice (I think they need a minimum of 10 days to sort out the paperwork with the Ukrainian Government re access to the park as your documents will be checked down to their passport numbers on at least three occasions. Oddly enough three tour operators came back with exactly the same times and dates for my short trip. In essence, I assume that individual tour reviews on here will mean nothing as everybody ends up on the same coach - they must work on commission from whoever runs it.

It is a two hour trip from Kiev to the location during which we watched a 90 minute documentary called “Battle of Chernobyl” - it’s available on YouTube and worth 90 minutes of your time even if you aren’t going to make the trip. Our tour guide, Nikolai, was a great character, fluent in English, a mine of information about the subject and very patient with our incessant questions at times.

The trip will speak for itself and I don’t want to ruin it for you. My only tips would be:

Ensure you fill our the exact details on your passport on the booking form - incorrect information can literally cost hours at the security check points in the exclusion zones. REMEMBER to bring it with you otherwise you will be turned back.

Have a hearty breakfast before you leave Kiev; it’s a very long day! We did stop at a service station just out of Kiev so you could stock up on drinks and snacks there otherwise that’s your lot till a late lunch as there were no shops - our ‘lunch’ on the way back was at about 16:00. On that note, even accounting for any cultural differences, it was probably the blandest food I have eaten ever and barely edible. A lot even only attempted it because they were so hungry by that stage. If you are a fussy eater then I doubt you would touch what was presented to us (packet Borsch to start (tasted and looks like pink dishwater) followed by some kind of meat fritter with bulgur wheat).

If you are serious about photography then opt for a private tour. They are significantly more expensive because of transport and an individual guide, but you don’t have to feel rushed going imbetween the ‘sights’. It really is a great place for photography and even I captured some very respectable shots on my iPhone.

6  Thank Squidgy66