“Awesome!”

CHERNOBYL TOUR
Ranked #1 of 106 Outdoor Activities in Kiev
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The first-hand trips to the Chernobyl zone, Chernobyl nuclear power plant and Prypyat-town. You are welcome to join our CHERNOBYL TOUR®, during which you will see all of the allowed locations in the Chernobyl exclusion zone. Professional and friendly guides. Exclusive routes. Dosimeters for rent. An open-eye experience.
Reviewed December 8, 2014

This was my second visit to the zone with Chernobyl Tour, bringing with me a group of 4 photographers. This time we had the wife of the tour guide we had the first time, who was quite simply superb! She bought us tea, and he bought me my very own cabbage (based on Facebook comments over the months since the first trip). We could not have been looked after better. So much so I'll be heading back with a third group in May 2015, and I cannot wait! Cannot say enough good things about CT!

2  Thank MikeyPalmer
Write a ReviewReviews (1,742)
All reviews
in 14 reviews
"red forest"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed December 7, 2014

Having visited the zone twice before, I had an opportunity for a third visit. This time, I wanted a customised tour, leaving from Slavutich rather than Kiev, and visiting the inside of the Chernobyl plant. Chernobyl Tour were really helpful by email - arranging what was a complicated trip. They arranged for me to be met at my hotel at 7am by a worker from ChNPP who took me to the train station and we traveled into the zone on the worker's train. I met Nikolai from Chernobyl Tour at the other end who introduced me to my guide for the day, Yevgen who could answer any question I asked about the zone. We toured the New Safe Confinement, visited the control room in unit 2, the memorial to Valery Khodemchuk and main circulating pumps. Unfortunately, the reactor hall and turbine halls were off limits due to decommissioning works. We then spent the afternoon in Pripyat, where Yevgen managed to show me places I've never been to before despite this being my third visit.

Chernobyl Tour were really helpful before, during and after the trip - I would definitely use them again. They have the knowledge to be able to customise the tour and get the paperwork arranged that other companies might struggle with.

1  Thank RobOC1980
Reviewed December 7, 2014

An excellent tour with knowledgable and friendly guides. A fantastic experience for for photographers and those who want to see something a little different!

Reviewed December 6, 2014

I had wanted to visit Chernobyl for years, and finally decided to go when I heard the sarcophagus would be enclosed in about a year. I am happy to say this 2 day trip was worth every cent I paid to come from the USA. I highly recommend the 2 day trip over the single day- there is so much to see that I'm contemplating returning for an even longer trip in the future. Plus, while the one day groups were quite large, while mine only had 5 others including the guide.

The lodging and food was terrific, and Kiev had a higher radiation reading than my room. Our guide was very knowledgeable about the zone (having memorized the locations of pretty much all the radioactive hotspots), and had plenty of great stories to tell as we were walking around. The exclusion zone itself is eerily peaceful and intriguing- one minute you are walking through a normal looking forest, the next you are standing in the shadow of an enormous building or massive metal construct. My group got to see many of the buildings in Pripyat, including the famous ferris wheel, hotel, arena, an experimental fish hatchery, the giant Duga-3 antenna, and of course the sarcophagus/NSC buildings. Playing with echoes in the unfinished cooling tower was quite a bit of fun. Any nature lovers or birdwatchers will have a great time as well; I saw, among others, many White-tailed Eagles, Redstarts, Kestrels, Hoopoe, wild horses, a Red Deer, and heard wolves in the distance. I would not hesitate to take another trip with this tour company, they are well organized and do a great job of delivering an amazing tour!

P.S. Rent the geiger counter if you don't have one, it's really the only way to "see" one of the more unique features of the exclusion zone.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 12, 2014

I really enjoyed this trip. We have seen all the important areas within that day and there was not any single thing which would disappoint me. There were no unnecessary limitations and I also appreciate the certain possibility of freedom as we could move freely within the each object and I could quickly discover several secluded rooms and places. Our guide was friendly, relaxed and very competent. The groups are small which is an another advantage.

If I decided to go to this or any similar tour again at some point in the future, I would go with them again.

I highly recommend. :)

Marek, the Czech Republic

1  Thank Marek P

Been to CHERNOBYL TOUR? Share your experiences!