“Simple, clean .... that's all.”
Review of Staro Hotel

Staro Hotel
Ranked #19 of 112 Hotels in Kiev
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I'd even forgotten that I had stayed here & I tried it, because of the reviews from Tripadvisor ..... just goes to show, that sometimes the reality is rather different!
Anyway, it's simple, clean & that's all ..... the food in the restaurant is not good & the breakfast was unacceptable.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Rob G

Reviewed November 4, 2012

I do not share the mania of positiveness of the other reviewers.

The rack rate at this hotel is cheaper than many others in Kiev. Like almost everything in Ukraine, it's undeservedly expensive but competitive with others. The rooms are relatively small with too much furniture in a brown kitsch faux-French style so beloved by many further east of the EU. I do not know why Eastern European hotels think all this looks nice. It looks old fashioned, fussy and dull. The room also has other issues - those terrible card keys that cut off the power to the room when it is unoccupied - you have to keep putting your laptop in hibernate. There's no hand held shower head to wash your hair with and not enough power sockets next to the desk. The Internet is fine generally but variable some days. I could only occassionally get it to support streaming.

One thing which could be seriously improved is the restaurant. The dinner choices are quite poor and the service is very slow. The staff are smiling and polite but it is all let down by the inattentive service. Sometimes there seemed to be no-one there. Some items are not on the menu - offering imported beer but Ukrainian beer is actually available if you ask. The breakfast is quite good but can be variable depending on the day and the time. Service is quite slow there too. One always have to keep asking for more coffee. I'd like to see the staff asking if there is anything you need or refilling the coffee automatically or even coffee pots on the table. I also do not like my boiled eggs cold. A variety of egg dishes could easily be cooked to order. Getting to this hotel is not bad as it's a short walk to the metro. The area is residential and I found there were few restaurants in the immediate (5 minutes) vicinity of the hotel - you have to walk at least 10-15 minutes to find something - there's a few at Kontraktor Ploscha. The price of the minibar is ludicrous - there's a shop over the other side of the road which sells beer, wine (terrible selection) and snacks. There's a better supermarket on the corner further up towards Kontraktor Ploscha which has a better selection.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank fluffy2560
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed in this Hotel twice in the space of 2 weeks in October of 2012. The entire hotel space has been decorated in a kind of art nouveau style and is quite attractive, the rooms are immaculate and quiet and the service is friendly. It is only 2 stops on the metro from the city center (or an easy taxi ride). The breakfast was among the best I had in Ukraine. I highly recommend the hotel. I am not a person who pays much attention to decorations and styling, but I don't know that I've ever seen more beautiful curtains and the chandeliers are something to experience. There is an individual touch to the style of this hotel. Wi-fi worked fine for me on everything except the very top 2 floors (6 and 7).

Room Tip: Choose below 6th floor if wi-fi important.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Calvin J
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed 6 days in this hotel near the center, metro is just 5 minutes by walk, good service, all employees very nice, great rooms beautiful, very clean, very quiet ... Just excellent. Breakfast is good. I recommend this hotel..

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I spent a few nights in this hotel on my way back to Dublin. It's certainly one of my favorite places to stay in Kiev, it's very nice and charming. I would definitely recommend it to anyone visiting Kiev on business or leisure. This place is adorable and perfectly reflects art nouveau in every single detail.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yana P
Reviewed September 16, 2012

some week ago on my way back from Dnipropetrovsk was too tired to drive more. When decided to stay for a night in Kiev was really surprised to see a newly built hotel almoust in the very centre of the capital. This stay was not so expencive, and the comfort level was great! The lunch was perfect.

Room Tip: very quite district. no cars and traffic around the hotel for the whole night. so any room will be O...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank chubaandriy
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My wife and I spent 3 nights in this hotel at the beginning of an organized tour of Ukraine. It exceeded my expectations, based on reviews I had read.
Fast, friendly, efficient check-in
Very quiet room. I always travel with ear plugs and did not need them for this stay, a lovely treat :-)
Large bathroom
Room was adequate size for the two of us, with a king bed
Non-smoking floor!! A nice surprise for a European hotel
Buffet breakfast was diverse and plentiful. We did not try the hot options, but the cereals, yougurts, fruits, juices, breads, and preserves were all delicious.  Never had a hard time finding a spot in the large breakfast room, even with tour crowds.
Nice clean, luxury looking hotel, from lobby to room.
Fast elevator and easy to use in-room safe
All of the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful
In-room wifi was included with our room

We enjoyed our stay in this hotel. Since our stay was part of a tour package, I don't know what rate we paid, but I felt it was an appropriate hotel for the higher-end tour that we did.

• Stayed: July 2012