Ranked #64 of 504 things to do in Kiev
Reviewed July 5, 2013

If you are on your way to the monastery caves, this place is worth stopping by for about a half an hour. The entry price is very low, but be aware that nothing is in English except for a free pamphlet. At the rear of the memorial you will have a great photo opportunity take in the city.

1  Thank Creeping_Death_LA

Reviewed June 19, 2013

This monument marks a very sad period for the Ukrainians. I didn't go into the museum because there were some re-qualification works going on. Still, something that must not be forgotten.

Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

On our way to the Lavra complex, we came across this memorial & museum. In the 1930s, a man-made famine caused starvation to many Ukrainian families. The memorial is tall and beneath is the museum which shows photos & film of the Holodomor. The regime insisted the farmers gave practically all of their crops to the Soviet union, leaving families to starve. Outside the museum is a statue of a little girl holding 5 stalks of corn. So poignant.

2  Thank cybertraveller_7
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Four times man made famine within 50 years and most of us never heard about it. It located on the high shores of the river Dieper and thus with a wonderful view.

1  Thank FlemmingH
Reviewed November 16, 2012

On a business trip having some time on my hands I was directed by locals to view this, I am glad I did. A lot is documented about other atrocities across the ages however we don't know a lot about this as it was suppressed during Soviet occupation (at one time it was a crime to discuss).
This is a chilling reminder of what suffering a nation can be subjected to. With great respect to other atrocities I found this on a par with the holocaust. I was emotionally shocked, who couldn't be. This is very respectfully documented, the atmosphere is something that must be experienced I challenge anyone not to be emotionally attached during the visit. The above ground memorial is poignant, but the underground museum is a fabulous testament to the suffering they endured
Other attractions appear further up in popularity however this as I say is a must. To thank the colleagues who recommended I took them out to dinner and paid for the meal.....they were almost offended as I was a guest in their country. The following morning I was presented by one of the guys a doll made from offcuts of material made by hand the previous evening by his mother. It was stuffed with grain seeds. It represented the past in that there was nothing more valuable that a person could give as a gift as a doll filled with seeds. The seeds represented the ability to plant and survive under such extreme conditions. I regard it as a treasure and a gift of true friendship and gratitude. The Ukrainians are a great people who suffered horrendously at the hands of occupying forces. They respect the past and remember those who suffered. As say a must visit memorial. It wasn't that long ago in history terms that this took place. Thank God we have moved on as a race!

6  Thank Quinny_A

Travelers who viewed National Museum “The Memorial in Commemoration of Famines’ Victims also viewed

Been to National Museum “The Memorial in Commemoration of Famines’ Victims? Share your experiences!