“Dated hotel - great location”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Ukraine

Hotel Ukraine
Ranked #25 of 110 Hotels in Kiev
England
“Dated hotel - great location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

Not the best hotel, but a good base for a couple of days in Kiev. Rooms were very dated with small dated bathrooms. But as has been mentioned for a couple of days in Kiev I would recommend this just because of the location

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lazylad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a week, picked the hotel purely based on the location (which is excellent) The hotel must have been grand in the old days of communism but I'm afraid that has long gone, but it was nice to stay and get the feel of the old USSR. Room was clean and not too bad really. Breakfasts were the same everyday and the staff were a bit miserable but I'm not going to put this hotel down totally as I still had a nice stay with excellent views across the city.
I would rather stop in that hotel than a brand new hotel simply for the old USSR feel :-).

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking the main square.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RobArmstrong666
Lugano, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

We wanted to try a "typical" hotel so reading the reviews we choosed the Ukraine. Standars are far away from european 4* hotels but the atmosphere is very nice. Location is just perfect, on the main street and walking distance from all the main attractions and the river side.
Rooms size is good but bathrooms are small, everything is clean and in good conditions. Breakfast room was excellent, facing the square and with a big choice of traditional local food and also more european food. Staff was average with an acceptable level of english.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pilot_DK
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

Booked through British Airways Holidays and got real value for monty. Hotel is in a fabulous location in Kiev (it overlooks the entire city centre).
Was travelling alone and had booked a single room - got a double room with brilliant views over the city. Room was clean, and easily worth 4 stars. Check-in was quick (check-out even quicker), there were plenty of staff around to assist should you need. Reception staff english very good and had no communication problems. Was there 2 nights and only criticism is my room was not cleaned. I left the hotel at 09:00 to go sightseeing with a friend, returned at 5 and room not made up. Within minutes a maid knocked on the door to ask if I wanted room made up No big deal but a little surprised. Breakfast was a good standard.
Oh and despite the central location it was very quiet inside hotel - would stay here again!
I had checked Trip Advisor and read comments, however I got quick service and was not asked to leave my passport behind desk! Also their exchange rate was the same as the banks - a bonus!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank BTCLondon
Liverpool
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

This was my first experience of Kiev and upon arrival, it was difficult not to be impressed by the hotel's imposing position overlooking a Central Square. Upon entering, the lobby area was also quite grand, but already, the rather tired interior was starting to undermine the impressive exterior. It was definitely a case of faded grandeur. My room was on the third floor and was extremely basic, with the fabric and furniture appearing well used. The hallways running along each floor are stark and very dark, and despite someone from the hotel sitting at desk on each floor, I didn't feel safe. The breakfast was even worse that the rooms. I cannot recall a less appetising breakfast and I have travelled extensively. I was reduced to eating toast and jam (the only one available) on most mornings. The staff also appeared to lack even basic customer service skills. Overall, not a pleasurable experience, which is in contrast to the city, which I enjoyed very much. But next time, I definitely will not stay at the Hotel Ukraine.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Richard_Haigh

Travelers are raving about these Kiev hotels

Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

This hotel is in a great position right in the middle of Kyiv overlooking the independence square. On arrival at the hotel you walk into this gorgeous foyer, we approached the desk and waited and waited for someone to finally attend to us even though there where 3 women sitting behind the desk having a chat, we walked to the elevator through a beautiful walkway and down the corridors could see wooden doors to each room it really did look impressive. When the elevator stopped at the 4th floor ours boy was it a different story, old carpet which looked dirty and the doors in this corridor looked old and tired no wooden doorways here. When we approached our door it took us at least 5 mins to get the key to work in the door finally we opened it and walked into the shabbiest room I have ever seen in my years of travelling, the carpet was old and worn the bathroom was awful there was mould and crud in the corners of the shower/bath. The bed was very uncomfortable. Our first night here was the opening of the restaurant which was directly below us so load music pumped into our room until 11pm, it was muggy in the room but you couldn't open the window or the music from downstairs was even loader. Breakfast isn't open until 7am which in my opinion is to late as there are no coffee making facilities in your room if you rise early as we did as we had a tour you can't get a coffee anywhere. I could go on and on about the things I didn't like about this hotel but I don't have enough room all I can say is I would never stay here again and would pay the extra to stay somewhere else, the staff are unfriendly and our room was horrible.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank suz08j
The North
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Kyiv was a very interesting place to visit: especially seeing as I could not read Cyrillic or speak Russian/ Ukrainian. Thus I found the hotel quite difficult to find from the train station and was forced to hire an expensive taxi. Upon arrival at the hotel there was a 'wow factor', as it was situated on a hill over Independence Square - ideal for visiting many tourist attractions, everything was within a reasonable walking distance.

The hotel staff were most pleasant, speaking good English and happy to help with any questions/problems that I had.

The hotel lobby is pleasant, although families should probably note that there is a connecting strip club (ie. the strip club can be accessed from the hotel lobby). The hotel has an interesting history, construction began under Stalin's leadership, with the intent of making Kyiv a showpiece city of the USSR, however upon his death Khruschev ordered construction to stop, this means the hotel is missing several levels.

The rooms are perhaps a little dated, but I actually felt that they were done rather nicely, and were certainly very comfortable. My only complaint would be that the advertised Wifi was almost non-existant, it was very frustrating to check my flight details.

The breakfast was very Russian influenced, which could be a problem for some who are only comfortable with English cuisine (I found it quite nice personally).

I would recommend this hotel if you are visiting Kyiv.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo