1,025 results
All reviewsmaidan squarebusiness suiteindependent squarelocation is amazingthe heart of the citysoviet timessmall balconyold styleshopping mallbuffet breakfastcentral locationlobby barwi fivisit kievmetro stationukraineglobus
Reviewed September 24, 2011

This is a typical eastern block hotel. Renovated to the bare minimum. Mediocre breakfast. Br smack in the centre no better place.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed September 21, 2011

I stayed at the hotel Ukraine for three nights in September 2011. This hotel dates from the Soviet period. The room was on the 12th floor with superb views over Independence Square. In keeping with its Soviet past there was a concierge on each floor to give and take keys. I was offered an option of one of the unrenovated rooms however after inspecting one I chose one that had been renovated. The main difference between the two types seemed to be the bathrooms. In the unrenovated room that I was shown, the tiles were old and there was dirt/mould in the tile joints. The difference in price was about 20 euros.

The bed was clean and comfortable. The air conditioning worked. The towels were also clean. There was hot water. There was no noise to disturb my nights sleep. Breakfast was ok. I had the cereal and COLD scrambled eggs. There were also cold meats and cheeses.
In general I would use this hotel again. The big plus was the location and the views. If you do stay there I suggest that you choose a ‘Lux” room.

Room Tip: Choose 'Lux" room at the FRONT of the hotel on one of the higher floors
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank mr-marathonman
Reviewed September 18, 2011

After reading reviews here, I was a little affraid what to expect. However, the room and bathroom were spacious enough and, most important, clean. Furniture seemed well preserved and quite new. On TV there were cca. 30 channels, most of them unfortunately only in Ukrainian or Russian. My room was on the 11th floor, it also had air condition. The hotel has four lifts, three of them very slow, unfortunately. The floor service maid is obviously a communist-relict, but if this is how to keep unemployment rate lower, I have nothing against it. I always took my key with me and wasn't chased by the maid :). Not only the employees, but also other Ukrainians I met don't speak English or only very limited, so it can be a bit frustrating trying to get some information etc..
At the reception you only check-in and they 'dedicate' you a room, but the key you get on your floor from the floor service maid. I had no "closer encounters" with anyone from the night club (prostitutes) and didn't spend any time in the lobby bar, so cannot judge about that. By the reception, there's a small bank 'kiosk' where I changed my money and their exchange rate was even better than at some specialized currency exchanges in the city! The only big disappointment was the breakfast - two days I ate only bread and butter + orange juice, and the last day I had to take what was left of bread and five very small pieces of cheese. They only have some eggs (scrambled and cooked), some sort of pancakes, one variety of cheese and salami, butter and maybe cottage cheese, only one or two varieties of bread and some small cookies. And that's it. I am not used to eating very much, but I was always hungry almost immediately after the breakfast.
And for the prices in Kiev: we had everything organized and I only bought some cigarettes (very cheap, from cca. 0,60 to 1,6 eur for a pack), and been to McDonalds once, Big Mac Menu costs 31 UHR and a cheeseburger 7,5 UHR. The exchange rate at that moment (mid-September 2011) was: for 1 EUR you got 11,00 UHR.
All-in-all, if I ever come to Kiev back again, I wouldn't mind staying in this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank JustJoeKing
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Absolutely sensational views of the city (see image) from the higher floors facing the front (we were on 12th floor) with spacious rooms. No tea/coffee in rooms. Forget the breakfast unless you're on a very tight budget - across from the hotel's main entrance is a modern small, stylish shopping precinct with an excellent quality coffee/croissant/juice bar on the bottom of three floors Surly hotel staff but this is standard 'customer service' for this country. In terms of taxi fares to the airport - wait outside until one shows and then offer 200 Hrivnas (about £15.50) - this is what I did on recommendation. Our taxi driver took us straight there without any problem. Also, get to the airport in good time as there might be be a long (outside) queue to get into passport control and the tiny gate area beyond. I must admit to being worried about this hotel when I reviewed it on Trip Advisor prior to our 3 day visit for a wedding. The hotel is very grand architecturally, we witnessed no prostitutes but I did get a late night call asking if I wanted 'euro' which I just ignored.

Room Tip: 12th floor facing the front
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I was a little dubious staying here as I had read the reviews on Trip advisor and some were less than complimentary. However, I am glad I found out for myself.
Hotel Ukraine is not a 5* Hotel, but then it is not trying to be either. The hotel is what I would call functional.
The room I stayed in was basic. It was not the cleanest. The carpet was years old and could do with replacing. The 3 piece suite in the bathroom was clean and disinfected but was decades old, and it showed. The way a 3 piece suite does when it is not ceramic and is decades old!! The air con worked, the tv worked - be sure to read the instructions before you write a review slamming the facilities! - there was plenty of hot water - hot water coming out the cold tap and vice versatile, not that old chestnut!
The bedroom door locked and the maid did her job every morning. I did not leave my key with the floor service maid, but she let herself in and did a good job. Most importantly the bedding and bed was clean and comfortable.
Breakfast was as i would expect from a 3* Hotel in old communist Europe which this hotel does a very good impression of. Coffee though was diabolical and you would be better having one made for you in the lobby.
There is wi-fi in the lobby, 30UHR for an hour - fine and very fast broadband.
The location could not be better, be sure to steal a glimpse of institution
Square at night, and take your camera for some great night time photos.
Plenty of coffee places, and restaurants nearby, easy walking, hassle free, and at no time did I feel like a tourist or out of place, even with my sparce Russian and even sparker Ukranian.
All in all, good hotel, suffice to say I will use it again!

• Stayed: September 2011