1,041 results
All reviews maidan square business suite independent square location is amazing the heart of the city soviet times small balcony old style shopping mall buffet breakfast central location lobby bar wi fi visit kiev metro station ukraine globus
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I was a little dubious staying here as I had read the reviews on Trip advisor and some were less than complimentary. However, I am glad I found out for myself.
Hotel Ukraine is not a 5* Hotel, but then it is not trying to be either. The hotel is what I would call functional.
The room I stayed in was basic. It was not the cleanest. The carpet was years old and could do with replacing. The 3 piece suite in the bathroom was clean and disinfected but was decades old, and it showed. The way a 3 piece suite does when it is not ceramic and is decades old!! The air con worked, the tv worked - be sure to read the instructions before you write a review slamming the facilities! - there was plenty of hot water - hot water coming out the cold tap and vice versatile, not that old chestnut!
The bedroom door locked and the maid did her job every morning. I did not leave my key with the floor service maid, but she let herself in and did a good job. Most importantly the bedding and bed was clean and comfortable.
Breakfast was as i would expect from a 3* Hotel in old communist Europe which this hotel does a very good impression of. Coffee though was diabolical and you would be better having one made for you in the lobby.
There is wi-fi in the lobby, 30UHR for an hour - fine and very fast broadband.
The location could not be better, be sure to steal a glimpse of institution
Square at night, and take your camera for some great night time photos.
Plenty of coffee places, and restaurants nearby, easy walking, hassle free, and at no time did I feel like a tourist or out of place, even with my sparce Russian and even sparker Ukranian.
All in all, good hotel, suffice to say I will use it again!

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank RichCarnegie
Reviewed September 14, 2011

I stayed here for 4 nights in an economy single room in September 2011. Room was on the 12th floor overlooking the main square in Kiev - fantastic. Room was clean and well furnished with a decent bathroom. Breakfast at the hotel was slightly above canteen standard, but good that it was included in the price at all.

However, firstly, prostitutes wander around the hotel bar harrassing any men sat alone. They also call hotel room phones in the evening(midnight onwards) asking guests if they would like company - I had to unplug my phone after the first night.

Secondly, when I checked out, I asked the hotel if they could get me a taxi to the airport. A taxi came, though with no taxi markings etc and collected me and on arrival at the airport, the driver demanded 400 Grivnah, the metered taxi from the airport to the hotel cost 250!...when I challenged him on the price he claimed it was a "hotel special service" - don't use their taxis! I refused to pay this amount but the driver became aggressive so in the end I had to pay and leave the taxi.

Room Tip: High floors have great views of the city.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank G K
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Ok so I'd never been to Ukraine or Russia before, and there were just a few reviews here. The room was booked for us and we enjoyed their website. I wasn't sure what overall rating to give this place because it's unique in so many ways.

First the good - the location really is excellent, you just walk down the hill to the center of (Revolution) square and the big metro is right in front (Maidan Nezalezhnosti) and another just up the hill (Kreschatyk) to get you all over the city. If you can score a room facing the square you get a great view (photo). There is a nice patio in front with some tables for having a drink and soaking in the energy. The rooms are expectedly small and clean. We had to move from our room the first night to another room and they have been renovating and updating certain floors, so some are definitely better than others. Our bathrooms were clean and quite adequate - pictures are from our room on the 2nd night. They have breakfast on one floor and the variety and flavor was very good.

Now for the bad - in both rooms, probably the worst beds I've ever slept on in my life. I would have been better off sleeping on the floor. Sunken and soft - the linens were clean but that's all I can say positive about them - and isn't that really the key function of a hotel stay - to sleep?

Next the different - wasn't used to having a chambermaid on each floor in Soviet style outfits. After you check in, you ride the elevator to your floor and the chambermaid presents you with key. You're supposed to give it back when you leave the room but we just carried it with us.

Now for the bizarre - when you enter the hotel, there's a reception desk and a small bank branch on the right. On the left there is a 'Genleman's Club''. We did not go in (though my wife even suggested we take a peek). Later we noticed that some of the local talent were doing some business at the hotel.

This was one of the more memorable places I've ever stayed at. Not sure what alternatives are available.

We found Kiev to be very clean and pleasant city to get around, the metro is great with some of the longest escalators in the world - make sure you take the right way out or you'll be blocks away from where you intended!

Although it's a little trickier to find English-speakers, most people were very friendly and helpful. We felt safe walking the streets at night after dinner and drinks (great values). I loved the kiosks and small shops selling fruit juices, excellent ice cream and delicious beers on the street for low prices. If you need a taxi, anyone with a car can pick you up and take you where you need to go - you negotiate price before you leave. They don't expect tips so they will be surprised if you add on too much.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 26, 2011

The location was great and the reception staff were helpful but the breakfast was atrocious, there was not one thing to eat that was palatable!
There was no hot water and the whole building needs a TOTAL refurbishment! The bed was uncomfortable and the room was musty!!

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Bioblonde
Reviewed August 24, 2011

The Hotel Ukraine could not be better located in the town. Easy to walk to all the sites in the center of the old town.

The quality of the rooms could be better, but is passable for a night or two.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends