“nice, but overly snooty”

Premier Palace Hotel
Ranked #14 of 111 Hotels in Kiev
Vail, Colorado
“nice, but overly snooty”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Nothing about Kiev was what I expected. Hummers, Bentleys and Ferraris and Paris Hilton-types clickety clicking along in their 5-inch stilettos replaced my image of a war-torn country, where old women in babushkas hobbled along the street hawking potatoes. This is a big city with 3 million people let loose from communism and enjoying the spoils of capitalism.

The Premier Palace Hotel was lovely, and the staff were pleasant, but the security were pretentious and obnoxious. Everywhere in the hotel we went, security visibly lurked. The Ritz in Paris and the Ville de Este on Lake Como in Italy are equally, if not more beautiful and exclusive, and while I'm certain they have a high level of security, they were invisible to the guest. We are well-traveled, almost always staying at 5-star hotels, and dress appropriately while at our hotel, as well as going out and about, whether day or night. One evening after returning from dinner, in which the men wore sport jackets, dress shirts and pants, and we women wore dresses, stockings and heels, we were given the once up and down and told that to enter the nightclub we would have to be dressed in "classic attire." We didn't understand what that meant, but we settled for a drink and dessert in the lounge. While we enjoyed our drinks, we witnessed two gentlemen come down from the nightclub in jeans and t-shirt. If that's "classic attire" to Ukrainians, then my mistake.
Enough grumbling. Our rooms were lovely. We had two premier king rooms, one with floor-to-ceiling windows with beautiful views to the street and overlooking Kiev, and the other an inside room. I recommend asking for a room overlooking the street. The noise was minimal. Internet service was good, which is always a problem for my husband, who works while on vacation and requires service capable of handling voice over IP. The breakfast buffet was delicious and bountiful and set on the 8th floor with views to the cathedral.

That said about the hotel, I highly recommend the tours provided free of charge by freetours.kiev.ua. The guides were exceptionally knowledgeable and personable. Two tours, at noon and 4 p.m., took in all the major sites to be seen and provided you with a good lay of the land, so to speak. The guides are available for reasonably priced individual tours, which we hired to take us to the Caves Monastery and the Military Museum, and my daughter and her boyfriend hired the same guide to take them bar and club hopping. A good guide can make or break an experience, and I can't say enough good things about our experiences with Free Tours Kiev.

Room Tip: I recommend a room facing the street. The views were spectacular and the noise was minimal.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vailworldtraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I find this hotel far too expensive for Kiev, even if it is beautiful. The rooms are just average for the price, the experience comes elsewhere in the hotel. The restaurant is just gorgeous and the food is devine. The service at every corner is without reproach.

A word of warning though. There are some very clever operators in Kiev - pickpockets, scammers, women. They're definetely at this hotel because of the crowd it attracts. If you're a single man, or an obvious westerner be very wary of going upstairs to the cabaret (read exotic dancers). They will try every trick on you to take every last cent and if anyone smells money on you then you can expect to be followed for the rest of your stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank ShaneWylie
Ireland
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Spent 3 nights here during the Euro 2012 championships.
Kiev was buzzing and the city must be proud as everything ran so smoothly.
The hotel is very central.
I was in a standard double room with a balcony. Nice size room. Bathroom is average with a shower in the bath behind a shower curtain.
Bed comfortable, some street noise but not too bad.
The hotel is very traditional. Not contemporary which might not be to everyone's taste.
I enjoyed the experience but the VIP casino looked a bit suspicious and unwelcoming from the outside!!!
Breakfast really good and wonderful view over Kiev.
Overall a nice place to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
New Delhi, India
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Very well located with great room and amenities. A must stay place for its food and hospitality.
I stayed here for two wonderful nights and it's walk able distance from downtown.
Great casino,pool side and very comfortable rooms.

• Stayed June 2012
Ithaca NY
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Premier Palace is certainly luxury: a huge lobby, smart staff, some of the elevators are glass sided and face the high-roofed lobby, and the rooms, bathrooms and beds are very nice etc. I arrived having forgotten to get Ukrainian cash at the airport to pay the taxi and so entered in a mild panic, the cash machine in the lobby didn’t work (I probably chose the wrong account), and then the money exchange desk was not attended, so eventually one of the receptionists made change for me. The staff were unfailingly helpful. The restaurant is on the top floor with all glass on who sides so it has a great view over the city, and the breakfast is truly amazing, though the restaurant was expensive in the evening. So why the enigma? The locals hinted that it was frequented by certain wealthy persons of, let’s say, ill repute. Is it? I can’t say, but having heard that, some persons walking round could fit that description, and at the end of every corridor in the late evening were suited gentlemen with earpieces: security personnel: possibly, but I have no evidence as to their function. What I can say is that one evening between leaving a dinner companion six blocks away and entering my room my wallet was lifted from my zippered backpack: stupid me! It so happens that I entered the hotel elevator in which were two men. One asked me if I wanted a girl, which I declined. The other man, at the time when my attention was drawn, was behind me. When I got to my room my wallet was gone. Was it taken in the elevator of a luxury hotel? I don’t know, but as a colleague remarked “that is where the money is”. The final answer: yes I would stay there again, as I can’t blame the hotel for my own stupidity, but I would go forewarned!! Please note: it is expensive, even at a business rate.

Reviewed June 13, 2012

Everything in the hotel was as it was expected in a 5 star hotel. Great location in the city center, the room was large, high quallty cosmentics, breakfast was super, the swimming pool big enough.
The only thing that could be improved is the price because it's sky high.

Room Tip: for quiet rooms ask a room with the view
Roma
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Wow, and I thought that this kind of service was a thing of the past. They open the hotel door before you even get near to it, the girls arrive to take your order in the bar before you find a seat, the smoking area in the bar has an amazing fresh air system that you can hardly smell the smoke and the bar food was great. My bedroom was large and wonderfully well equipped. The breakfast spread includes champagne and some amazingly good food. Totally excellent. I will return.

Room Tip: The hotel is in the city centre on a busy road so ask for a hogh up room if possible. And remember t...
1 Thank Simon F