“Outstanding service, very comfy suites and amazing food”

Fairmont Grand Hotel Kyiv
Ranked #6 of 112 Hotels in Kiev
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I will not be different giving Fairmont Grand Hotel Kyiv 5 Tripadvisor Dots - my opinion is as in the headline - outstanding.

I have stayed two nights during my trip to Kiev. I have contacted hotel in advance to check if they are able to accept my Fairmont Gift Cards (as sometimes there are some issues in various hotels). They have replied within the same day. What I loved was that even if they were unable to accept them at the time or my enquiry, they have sorted it out until my arrival two weeks later. Thank you (no, 1).

When I arrived there early in the morning (after overnight flight) they welcomed me with a natural smile and extremely professional and efficient service. Reception staff is just amazing, I am really sorry that I didn't noted all names (I have only Maxim and David in my notes), but they are just great! All my questions or queries were answered and they were very helpful whenever I needed anything. Thank you (no. 2).

As mentioned earlier, I arrived early and they actually checked me in few hours ago before planned check-in time. I was upgraded also from Junior Suite to Suite #928 on the 9th floor. Maxim made a short suite presentation (as I was tired he kept it brief, but again in a very professional matter). When I entered this suite I asked him if they provide a map of this suite, haha. It was huge! Separate living room, huge corridor, large bedroom (with living room also), additional toilet and enormous bathroom. I absolutely loved that! Maybe it's not for everybody's style, but definitely it is very comfortable way to stay in Kiev and I highly recommend it to everybody. I had also view on two (!!!) sides of the hotel - old centre and Dniepr River (I really didn't mind construction in front of the hotel, it doesn't affect you at all and it needs to be done one day).
Suite was well equipped with everything you may need to have a comfortable stay and that included: individually controlled air-conditions (separate for bedroom and living room); LCD TVs; complimentary Wireless Internet; a lot of space to relax or work - just check my photos.
On top of that (for that I really love you) I have received welcome fruit plates every day - aaaaaaaaaaaa - they were delicious!!!!! One afternoon I had also given a stone plate (looked great) with selection of luxurious chocolates - what about my diet??? - OK, I loved them too, thank you (no. ... another one).
Also mini-bar was well stuffed and they kept it this way all the time. Special thank you to Roman for doing keeping discreet eye on this.
One day I needed one shirt to be ironed, but unfortunately I didn't think that it was late Saturday evening and all iron/iron boards were taken by other guests. I mentioned in the morning that I would like to have it done (if possible) and my shirt was waiting for me just few hours later beautifully ironed in the wardrobe. Again, I was OK with that as they explained exactly why they cannot do that now (David tried, but I insisted to leave it for the following morning).

I was able to have a breakfast only one morning in The Strand Restaurant (as 2nd I had to leave very early morning) - this was fabulous! What I liked there that you had great selection of great cold and hot meals so choose, but it wasn't too much of everything (it will not be wasted). Maybe it's not the most economical version (380 UAH = 35 EUR), but totally stunning. My favourite were pancakes with smoked salmon, cheeses and fresh waffles with fruits... OMG, I couldn't move, but that was stunning. Really was. And staff was attentive, but very discreet. Another thank you :)

In the afternoons I was able to try some snacks in The Grand Cru bar downstairs. Yana, who was serving these things to me, was totally awesome - I think this is the way customers should be treated. I liked the way she suggested to me different versions from menu and actually made choice on my behalf (as I couldn't decide) - I have never before tried so tasty tartar with Carpaccio before. I had it twice in two days. They didn't have local beers here, but that wasn't any problem, they've got it from upstairs within minutes. On the second day I had also strawberry cheesecake - this was out of space. I know I sound far too excited to describe it like that, but it was. I think this was the best cheesecake I have ever eaten before. This can be a reason just to fly to Kiev again.

As I was leaving earlier I had order taxi (Airport Taxi has 50% discount offer for City Centre - Airport route, so it's just a bit more expensive than bus and they take you from your door) and asked Reception (David) for assistance with these gift cards. I also needed ATM and was extremely surprised that they had one inside. David worked on my gift cards in meantime and I was able to check-out within minutes early following morning without any delays etc.

During my stay I have also noticed that famous Depeche Mode band and the crew was staying in this hotel.

As you can see (if you read this looooong review) - I was definitely very happy guest and would love to come back there. Of course, there might be other cheaper options in the area, but here you definitely you're getting what you paid for. I would love to praise Fairmont staff - always professional, with natural smile and very good looking (guys and girls). BIG THANK YOU!

Room Tip: Suite is stunning!!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank marqoos_pl
FairmontKyiv, Front Office Manager at Fairmont Grand Hotel Kyiv, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear marqoos_pl,

Greetings from Fairmont Grand Hotel Kyiv,

I would like to thank you for the great review that you have shared with the Tripadvisor Community. We very much appreciate that you have gone into such detail of your experiences and that you have had a memorable stay here at Fairmont Grand Hotel Kyiv, David, Maks & Roman are particularly pleased to hear of your memories.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont Grand Hotel Kyiv in the future,

Kind Regards

Reviewed August 9, 2013

I would say the hotel is ok,but one can get much better deals for that money in Kiev for sure, service is avarage ( I think its because owner of the hotel treat the stuff badly, as far as I know it's Ukrainian oligarch who built the hotel and his 22 years old daughter actually manages hotel, so all waiters feel and look stressed and nervous), but what is unforgivable is terrible food, every time I eat or drink there I get strong stomach indigestion afterwards, like even after simple coffee ( they probably use water from the taps, cos its cheaper than just buying water and water from the taps are not allowed to drink in Kiev), so if you care about your health, do not eat or drink. Also constant reconstruction is just killing me.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Diana D
FairmontKyiv, Front Office Manager at Fairmont Grand Hotel Kyiv, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Dear Diana D,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate about your experience. In response to your operations concerns:

- I apologize that you experienced stressed and nervous experience, but as you can see from the
numerous other reviews, service at Fairmont Grand Hotel Kyiv is usually of the highest levels,
accommodating and polished.

- Concerning the cuisine you were served, we again apologize that it was not to your preference,
but feel strongly that we offer some of the best cuisine in Ukraine, starting with our quality of
ingredients, such as US Prime Beef, and the expertise of our internationally trained culinary team.

- Concerning Hygiene standards, please rest assured that we have passed all of our audits with all
positive marks; employ on an site Health and Safety Manager; and never use unfiltered tap water
to prepare any food or beverage items.

- We are also excited that as the construction nears completion the next two months, that Fairmont
Grand Hotel Kyiv will rest on one of the most beautiful districts in Kyiv, Podol, with unparalleled
River and City views, that no other hotel can offer.

If you can give us a personal contact, we would love to discuss your experience in person to find the exact days and times of your visit, so we can highlight your concerns more accurately.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed in Fairmont Kiev for six nights of June/July 2013, and loved it. We had the Gold Junior Suite facing the city. From the large windows, embellished with baroque curtains, we woke up to a view of Kiev: beautiful clusters of old buildings illuminated by a golden pop of domes and bell-towers.

The service was spectacular. Everyone was nice and friendly. The staff in the Fairmont Gold lounge (11th floor) was very attentive. We had breakfast in the Gold lounge area. The breakfast chef was very welcoming. It was like walking into gramma’s kitchen. She gave every guest her full attention, and kept insisting we eat more :-)

The Junior Suite had plenty of closet space and mirrors, two flat screen TVs, a minibar in which I was able to fit an additional bottle of wine, and an iperEspresso machine provided with free capsules (by illy). The windows brought in plenty of sunlight during the day, and at night the lightning of the room was soft and comfortable.

There’s a small wine and deli shop right around the corner from the hotel. They had a sufficient collection, and snacks to go with it: chips, crackers, olives, cheeses, dips, chocolate and caviar.

Overall, a wonderful experience. Like the hotel doorman said, “Sunny or rainy, it is always beautiful in Kiev. You will see!”

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Surfacing1982,

Greetings from Kyiv and the Fairmont Grand Hotel Kyiv Team,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on your experiences here at our hotel.

Your appreciation of the product is excellent and the Fairmont Gold Team are delighted to hear that you had many memorable moments in Kyiv and at the Fairmont Gold Lounge.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Kyiv in the future.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

From the moment I made my booking, the staff were exceptional - prompt limo pick up arranged over email, help with restaurants, booking taxis and just generally very professional. A room upgrade to a beautiful river side view was also very much appreciated!

Room Tip: River view - try 8th floor
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear TG001,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with the Tripadvisor Community,

We are very glad to hear that your experiences all through your trip were memorable.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Can't really speak highly enough of this place. The staff were brilliant, the location's great, and our room was just fantastic. This was our first stop on a trip through Eastern Europe and nothing else came close to it. Made a really good base to explore Kiev which is a great city.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear jamesm2011,

It is fantastic to hear of your enjoyable experiences here at Fairmont Grand Hotel Kyiv,

To be able to share great feedback with out staff is excellent and they thoroughly appreciate it.

I hope on your next trip back to Eastern Europe, that we will see you in Kyiv again.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Travelling abroad from Canada, it was with great pleasure we realized the luxury and comfort awaiting at the Fairmont. Recently built, it exceeds expectations for service, decor, spaciousness of rooms and food quality and variety. Arriving at 6:00 am was not an issue and they immediately said our rooms were available despite the early arrival. The staff is English speaking, helpful, professional and courteous. The hotel has a very fair currency exchange window in the lobby, a spa, gym and champagne bar. Located in Old Town, one can walk through a lovely area of town with shops, cafe's, restaurants, markets and enjoy the architecture and square. Any traveller wanting a five star experience will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: There is currently some construction on the road in front of the hotel but the staff ensures guests...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Thunderbaygirl,

Greetings from Fairmont Grand Hotel Kyiv,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with the Tripadvisor community. it is great to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and your trip.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Kyiv in the future.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Had the pleasure of stayinghere in end June / July and this is by far one of the best hotels I ve ever stayed at.
Pretty new and looks nice but they seem to have given this hotel an old school feel wich I liked
and the rooms were huge !
Staff was INCREDIBLE just like every other Fairmont I ve had the chance of staying at
I strongly suggest this hotel to anyone who will be staying in the beautiful city of Kiev

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
FairmontKyiv, Front Office Manager at Fairmont Grand Hotel Kyiv, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear vacvman 1976,

Greeting from Fairmont Grand Hotel Kyiv,

I would like to thank you for the excellent comments on your recent stay with us, the entire staff are excited to hear of you wonderful memories of your trip.

Warmest Regards