“SoloEast Travel”

SoloEast Travel Chernobyl Day Trip
Ranked #4 of 151 Tours in Kiev
More attraction details
Owner description: Tours to Chernobyl Exclusion Zone FROM THE CREATOR SINCE 1999. Missile Base, tank riding and shooting.
Reviewed December 28, 2012

i've booked my tour 2 months earlier, in this travel agency timetable, and 5 days before it could occur, they canceled it, telling me that the government didn't allowed. I've booked flight and hotel, just to go to chernobyl.....They refund me the money tour, but what about the rest of the travel? 1000euros, just not to go to the final destination...

Not professional. They knew it was difficult to get authorization on the 31th December, and they accept without warning.

Bad and very expensive, non experience

8  Thank Rodrigo L
isi11, Owner at SoloEast Travel Chernobyl Day Trip, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Dear Rodrigo, I'm probably like you, most of the times don't read disclaimers - so I can't blame you for not reading our disclaimer posted on the main page. And I understand your frustration. However when we book a tour with the government - we do inquire with the administration of the Exclusion zone first - and yes, unlike previous years, they said the 30th and the 31st of January are available to book. This was in September. Then there was a storm and a big snowfall in December and they evacuated 500 workers from the zone because of that and because there was no electricity - so the zone was closed for five days. Then on Dec 20th the government told us that all the tours on the 30th and 31st are cancelled. The exception was made only for a Chinese TV company who couldn't cancel their live New Year broadcast from Chernobyl - but they needed only half an hour and they looked after all the extra involved. We are not that powerful but we managed to arrange a tour on the 29th instead and most of the people went on that day. We are sorry it didn't work for you and thank you for your post - we might be not as professional as you would wish - but I hope other people will consider your experience when planning their trip to Chernobyl.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,006)
All reviews
in 10 reviews
"recommend this trip"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed December 26, 2012

We opted for the private tour to ensure we were able to see the sights on our own timetable. The driver and guide were both professional. The guide spoke very good English and we were able to completely understand the information. This tour is really interesting. It was completely safe. The tour operator carried a geiger counter and there was never any danger.
Note: dont drink a lot of fluids before or during the tour. There are not many opportunities to use the bathrooms. The drive from Kiev is long and you will likely encounter some traffic. This is a great tour, but the gift shop stop was omitted for some reason.

3  Thank nick w
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I arranged a Chernobyl tour and return airport transfers via SoloEast and I am so glad that I did. Paying was easy via Paypal. My flight coming from Dubai was delayed, when I rung from Dubai to inform the company, I was pleasantly surprised they were already keeping an eye on my flight online and knew about the delay.

I was in touch with Natasha from SoloEast for the majority of the tour - she always replied promptly to my emails and questions and kept me informed of the latest situation. I booked in winter (I went yesterday - 21/12/12, the end of the Mayan Calendar, how appropriate!) which was of course a risk as the weather is something you can't control but Natasha was able to answer my concerns about potential weather issues.

We were picked up on time and watched the documentary. There were 3 of us on the tour and we had a great time. Our guide Vasiliva was lovely, friendly, answered all our questions and really personalised the tour for the 3 of us as it was a small group. We even stopped to see endangered przewalski's horses in a nearby field. Of course being winter there were challenges as Pripyat was completely snowed in, so prepare to hike a little in the snow (bring a water bottle).

Lunch was delicious and well organised, we were efficiently bussed around, got to buy souvenirs from a shop and went through several checkpoints. We were dropped off in the city on schedule.

My airport pickup today was fuss free. I would highly recommend SoloEast as a very professional tour company.

2  Thank Beachednarwhal
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Our tour date in early December was cancelled at the last minute due to lack of numbers however we were given the option to go the next day or pay extra for a private tour. We opted to go the following day and were pleasantly surprised to find only one other couple on this tour.

The movie on the way out was extremely interesting and gave us enough background to fully appreciate what we were seeing.

The photo opportunity at reactor 4 was short and you were unable to take pictures of the construction of the new casing being erected nearby however it could be viewed from the same point as our stop at Reactor 4.

Pripyat, a once busy city now abandoned and preserved in time looks like a scene from a post-apocolyptic horror movie. It was eerie walking around in knee deep snow in the absolute silence of this dying city. Most buildings are now unable to be entered as the city seems to be literally falling apart and so we were only able to access the inside of the nursery, everything else was viewed from the outside.

The only negative I could say is the guide provided at the checkpoint was not forthcoming in providing information about the event. Mostly we walked around in silence unless one of us specifically asked a question. He did not really seem interested in passing his knowledge on to us which was a small disappointment however lucky for us we had done enough research that this did not ruin the experience.

Overall well worth experiencing however the drive back into Kiev was a little bit scary with the driver channeling evil knievel causing us all to hold on for dear life.

2  Thank MissVintage
isi11, Manager at SoloEast Travel Chernobyl Day Trip, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Thank you for the review. You appeared to be in Chernobyl on the second day after the big snowfall. The guide that was originally assigned to work with your group couldn't make it to Kiev in time because of that. Apparently Zhenya (the substitute) is an expert and owns a very informative site on Chernobyl called Lost Places but I guess not everyone can read his thoughts - sorry for that we will let him know your comments (he is not a part of SoloEast and works for government agency we have to deal inside the zone). Andrew (the driver) told me he had to balance between an icy road and not to come back to Kiev at midnight. We will make sure all Aussies will be warned next time that driving/skating on the roads in winter is a part of every driver's skills/experience.