“Typical Run Up the Bill Scam Joint” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Al Faro

Al Faro
Ranked #49 of 1,797 Restaurants in Kiev
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Miami Beach, Florida
“Typical Run Up the Bill Scam Joint”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

I came to Al Faro with my girlfriend, and the place is well decorated but runs the typical "run up the bill on the foreigners" routine. The waiter sold my girlfriend on the special, which turned out to be a giant whole fish she had no prayer of eating -- hidden cost 800 hrivnia. The food is good, and the restaurant is very nice. Just watch your wallet and order carefully.

• Visited September 2013

Kiev, Ukraine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great place to relax and enjoy a delicious meal! Tsezarone most delicious salad that I had to taste! Everything was perfect =)

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Kyiv, null, Ukraine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Thank you for the wonderful evening!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

I would like to thank you for the wonderful evening in your restaurant. The ambiance and cuisine are very special. My special thanks to the waiting staff who were very professional in their recommendations. Wish you prosperity and a lots of thankful customers!!!

1 Thank Inna G
Brussels, Belgium
“Excellent Italian food at a reasonable price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

We took a fresh salad, a porcini risotto, a monkfish risotto and our son took a calzone pizza (wood oven baked). We ended with profiteroles (which we shared among 3). All were excellent, very fresh ingredients and the service was very good. Clearly the best restaurant we have been in Kiev and on par with excellent Italian restaurants in Western Europe. We paid slightly more than 50 euros, a bargain

England
“Al Faro - El Besto!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Right - don't take ANY notice of the previous post! Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but hey, from the moment I walked in I was treated to nothing but attentive and courteous service - a waitress (Tattiana) who did her absolute best with my total absence of Ukrainian and her very passable English!! Also on hand was Alexei, their sommelier, who was most knowledgeable and friendly. I understand that his next trip to represent and compete is to Monaco!

Ok, so I really went for the food, not the company!!

From the excellent bruschetta Classico, through the freshest of seafood pastas (don't complain about the small wait, or maybe go for fast food elsewhere!!) and on into the fabulous cheesecake with its little dishes, on the side, of caramel and chocolate sauce to 'add', this was a great experience. Washed down with a bottle of smooth, velvety, Montepulciano and finally a parting macchiato which was everything one hoped for.

One of my latest experiences in worldwide travelling (and dining!) was at Guy Savoy's 3 star Mich in Paris, so I do have something serious to compare 'others' with - and Al Faro, whilst not dreaming that it is quite 'up there', certainly didn't disappoint at the price and location! Do, as in ALL cities, check out the wine prices before ordering. Take your time, as this is a restaurant that will let you do so! Then, once you're clear about what you want to experience (and pay for!!), you will have no cause to complain on here about any reduced perception in what you received.

Right - now to the REAL accolade. I am taking my wife back there to dine tonight!!! Yes, two nights running for me - and she is no novice at dining out either. I'm risking nothing and that's the best I can say for this restaurant!!!:)

PS. My return tonight has absolutely nothing to do with the 10% discount card they give to returning guests - she'd see through that in a flash!!:)

Visited July 2013