“Thank you for the wonderful evening!”
Review of Al Faro

Al Faro
Ranked #57 of 1,902 Restaurants in Kiev
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Kyiv, null, Ukraine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Thank you for the wonderful evening!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I would like to thank you for the wonderful evening in your restaurant. The ambiance and cuisine are very special. My special thanks to the waiting staff who were very professional in their recommendations. Wish you prosperity and a lots of thankful customers!!!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Inna G

• Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
“Excellent Italian food at a reasonable price”
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

We took a fresh salad, a porcini risotto, a monkfish risotto and our son took a calzone pizza (wood oven baked). We ended with profiteroles (which we shared among 3). All were excellent, very fresh ingredients and the service was very good. Clearly the best restaurant we have been in Kiev and on par with excellent Italian restaurants in Western Europe. We paid slightly more than 50 euros, a bargain

• Visited August 2013
England
“Al Faro - El Besto!!”
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Right - don't take ANY notice of the previous post! Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but hey, from the moment I walked in I was treated to nothing but attentive and courteous service - a waitress (Tattiana) who did her absolute best with my total absence of Ukrainian and her very passable English!! Also on hand was Alexei, their sommelier, who was most knowledgeable and friendly. I understand that his next trip to represent and compete is to Monaco!

Ok, so I really went for the food, not the company!!

From the excellent bruschetta Classico, through the freshest of seafood pastas (don't complain about the small wait, or maybe go for fast food elsewhere!!) and on into the fabulous cheesecake with its little dishes, on the side, of caramel and chocolate sauce to 'add', this was a great experience. Washed down with a bottle of smooth, velvety, Montepulciano and finally a parting macchiato which was everything one hoped for.

One of my latest experiences in worldwide travelling (and dining!) was at Guy Savoy's 3 star Mich in Paris, so I do have something serious to compare 'others' with - and Al Faro, whilst not dreaming that it is quite 'up there', certainly didn't disappoint at the price and location! Do, as in ALL cities, check out the wine prices before ordering. Take your time, as this is a restaurant that will let you do so! Then, once you're clear about what you want to experience (and pay for!!), you will have no cause to complain on here about any reduced perception in what you received.

Right - now to the REAL accolade. I am taking my wife back there to dine tonight!!! Yes, two nights running for me - and she is no novice at dining out either. I'm risking nothing and that's the best I can say for this restaurant!!!:)

PS. My return tonight has absolutely nothing to do with the 10% discount card they give to returning guests - she'd see through that in a flash!!:)

Visited July 2013
Aachen, Germany
“Tourist trap”
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Party of 7. Majority of food was served cold. Mashed potato tasted like powdered, roast potatoes undercooked and hard, salad appeared to have no dressing. Pizza was good.

Pressing waiter who tried to upsell at every opportunity. I had to ask for clean plate between courses.

Ordered Valpolicella wine which was one of the cheaper choices, however after this was served I had a suspicion that they had served a more expensive wine. They had - twice the price - without asking which version of the wine I wanted. Ok - my mistake for not being specific, but in the wine menu the brand of Valpolicella was not specified - what else then to ask for? So be aware of this potential trick and point to your menu choice!

Overall, feel a waste of money and ripped off. My advice, go the Champagne or La Catina for good food, good service and a nice hassle free evening

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank BOB777877
Sydney, Australia
“New menu”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My favorite restaurant in Kiev got a new chef. He is from Italian South. But what is more important that AlFaro got a new menu !!! New meat and fish dishes are something you must try. New pasta is also worth attention. So if you are in Kiev this summer - don't miss a chance to taste really fresh Italian coucina.

• Visited June 2013