“Strange timing”
Review of Byblos - CLOSED

Byblos
Cuisines: Eastern European
Reviewed May 3, 2013

So the layout inside is stunning, and although expensive the drinks are delicious! My friends and I came to go clubbing, only when the DJ was playing at around 12am (when we expected the party to get started) literally everyone left, and the DJ even stopped paying attention and eventually a steady beat just played.. we were the only people in the whole venue.. not quite sure why since the club was open that night..

Reviewed March 3, 2012

One of the newest restaurant & club in Kiev. It is very popular novadays and very crowded especially on friday & sundays . You can see"nice faces" of Kiev in this place. Food is very tasty but prices are premium . You are paying for popularity . good selection for Kiev night life experience .

Reviewed February 6, 2012

attended euro 2102 party there good bars plenty of room for out side and inside partying

Reviewed November 29, 2011

Bistrobar at "Byblos" was suggested by my friend, (who had never been there before). I should have known better than to go to a restaurant which specializes simultaneously in sushi/sashimi and kebabs under one roof, a bizarre combination of Japanese seafood and Middle Eastern (Azerbaijani?) grilled meats coming from the same kitchen and the same chef. I should have known better but it was cold, dark and we were ravenous after a very busy day.

The moment we entered the restaurant, I knew that it was a mistake, an opinion shared by the bored waiting staff who completely ignored us. We should have used the moment to escape, but my friend was determined to dine there so I just followed her to the table where we sat down ourselves and looked through the voluminous and very diverse menu.

I do apologize to Japanese people on behalf of Ukrainians - if any Japanese person saw their native dishes served at Kyiv's Byblos, they would no doubt commit a ritual "hara-kiri" suicide instead of living with such shame. So the choice for us was easy - we opted for the kebabs.

My friend asked for a Mojito cocktail and a Veal Lula Kebab with a Tomato and Cucumber salad on the side, I on the other hand, asked for a Lamb Lula Kebab with a side order of grilled vegetables and a glass of Merlot. While waiting, we had time to look around. Though wearing designer jeans, sweaters and little make up (perhaps, because of it?), we definitely didn't look like we belonged at Byblos, as the staff was as genuinely puzzled by our presence as the rest of the patrons.

Now here is what we really didn't like:

1. My friend's Mojito didn't have any rum at all, or so little of it that it was not worth mentioning.

2. My friend's Veal Lula Kebab tasted exactly like my Lamb Lula Kebab.

3. When I was eventually brought the bill, it showed that I had had a total of 5 (five!) side orders of grilled vegetables and I was billed for each and every one of them respectively.

When we asked the staff about absence of rum and veal, and the abundance of grilled vegetables, we were told that all this was just a simple matter of a difference in opinions (?).

For example, my friend said that there was no rum in her drink and a bartender said that she was mistaken - there was plenty of rum in her drink. She said it was lamb, but the reply from the kitchen was that they beg to differ - it was in fact veal. Though I was under the impression that I had ordered only 1 side order of grilled vegetables, the staff was passionately and enthusiastically trying to persuade me that I had ordered 5 (five!!!) So, here you have it - the difference in opinions!

We were cornered and there was no way out - not unlike in Las Vegas, the House here at Byblos always wins. For this so-called "dinner" we paid 600 hryvnias (local currency), which roughly equals US $75. It is the worst 75 dollars I have ever spent in any restaurant!

The moment we stood up and put our jackets on, a shady-looking, huge man (Owner? Bouncer? Hired killer on the premises? Head waiter? In Ukraine it is sometimes very difficult to tell the difference), rushed towards our table and (to add to the insult!), started counting out the money right in front of us. (I certainly hope that the staff got a least a part of the tip we had intended.)

So, the morale of the story: listen to your inner voice and never ever go to BYBLOS! I know I won't...and neither will any of my expat friends!

1  Thank caymana
Reviewed June 20, 2011

This restaurant looks amazing: totally decadent with marble floors, plush sofas and pristine white tablecloths. When we went there was also live music. The food is a really interesting mix of Asian, Eastern European and European cuisines: some of our dishes included prawn-stuffed falafel, plov, crème brûlée (highly recommended!) and of course, sushi. The quality is very good, but then again the price is high. I would recommend it above all for the beautiful surroundings.

On the negative side, as of February there was no English menu which might make it difficult for non-Russian speakers. Hopefully this has been rectified.