“Disappointed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Himalaya
Ranked #321 of 1,802 Restaurants in Kiev
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Mwanza Region, Tanzania
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

My wife and I ate here twice in a fortnight, the second time to make sure of our opinion from our first trip. The place has apparently been in business for 15 years or so and I'm sure that it has been serving Kiev well over the years. There was certainly enough business from international customers while we were there. However, the restaurant now feels like a bit like the Raj itself - faded, past its glory days, like nothing has changed since it started up.
The food was variable - some dishes like the palak paneer and butter chicken were very good, but others were just plain mediocre. Two elements that didn't help (as noted by other reviewers): the cook seemed scared of chilli, even when we explained that we were used to really spicy hot dishes (although I stress that we're not 10-pints-of-lager-and-rocketfuel-vindaloo types), and some dishes seemed insipid as a result. Also, most dishes were lukewarm.
The wine list was reasonable and the service was friendly. Prices were average for the western pocket.
It was a disappointing experience, because with a bit more care with the food and listening to the customer, this could have been a great place to eat. As it is, I wouldn't give it a third chance.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Shedheadabroad

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not horrible, but not good enough to get me to return”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Friends and I went to Himalaya last night for an Indian vegetarian feast. We ordered samosas (good), pakora (tasted like a Ukrainian potato pancake), basmati rice (fine), as well as plain paratha (very, very good) and nan (very good). My friends ordered dahl makhani (very mediocre, quite oily) and palak paneer (nicely done). I ordered palak mushroom (absolutely horrid - I can't remember when I had something quite that awful). The palak mushroom was made with Ukrainian marinated button mushrooms instead of fresh mushrooms. Imagine the taste of Indian spiced spinach, with a bunch of vinegary, dilly mushrooms mixed in! I actually spit it out (discreetly, of course!) into my napkin and didn't have another bite. To the restaurant's credit, they did not charge us for the dish, but I am still wondering: what was the chef thinking? Tell the patron that there are no mushrooms in the fridge, and suggest a different dish, for heaven's sake!

• Visited November 2012
7 Thank Spiderette86
Kiev
“Are cooks afraid of using spices in Ukraine?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

We were happy to eat something spicy in Kiev, which is difficult to find. We ordered a tandoori salad which was nice. The chicken tikka massala and lamb in spinach souce we ordered VERY spicy.
The chicken turned out to be very salty the lamb was not bad but spicy? No. It looks like even cooks are afraid of using spices in Ukraine, or did he/she simply not care? I was in India this year but this dinner didnt remind me of that time. The overpriced rice made clear we are in Ukraine and a black burned nan was maybe a sign of a distracted, disinterested cook?

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank Bridget V
Tbilisi, Georgia
“Good food, low price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Went with a friend. Had huge servings of Indian food, plus beers. Place was clean, staff was nice, location on the main street...Easy for a first time visitor. (My second time.)

Visited October 2012
Ukrainka, Kyyivs'ka Oblast', Ukraine
“Delicious food for a great price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

We had a lamb, chicken and rice dish as well as Nan and it was all delicious. I will definitely be going back.

• Visited October 2012