“A taste of India in Ukraine”
Review of Himalaya

Himalaya
Ranked #237 of 2,287 Restaurants in Kiev
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 30, 2012

This is an excellent Indian restaurant in the heart of Kiev. We were expecting a mediocre overpriced meal, but we got an excellent authentic meal. The service was good, we sat for quite a while after eating and enjoyed the decor and atmosphere. The restaurant is relatively expensive for Kiev, but excellent and worth a visit just the same. We will definitely keep this on our list of places to eat in Kiev!

Reviewed August 23, 2012

I've been in many indian restaurants, this is not one of the greatest by any means. But still taste is there and you can find many classical dishes. Also two of my friends who never tried indian food before were amazed by the dishes. Recommended overall.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

I compared the prices using the respective websites for Himalaya and New Bombay Palace and as NBP's prices appeared about 40% higher than that of Himalaya, I decided it was not worth a taxi ride there. Himalaya has the advantage of being located in the center of Kiev on Kreschatik.
Papads were thankfully roasted -- rather than the fried and oily kind. Two of the three chutneys were excellent: the orange one (hot) and the green one (medium hot). There was no acceptable sweet chutney e.g. mint or tamarind. The third tasted unpleasant like a garlicky ketchup.
I ordered two mains each with pork (because where I am resident Indian restaurants don't serve pork): pork seekh kebab and pork vindaloo. Portion size of both was ample. Certainly those alone would have been enough for two normal eaters or a single trencherman like myself! The seekh kebab was not quite what it was billed to be (the pork should have been minced finely, mixed with spices and put on a grill) but instead seems to have been baked; however, the chef was kind enough to stuff the kebabs with red chilis and with a dollop of the spicey orange chutney made for a tasty enough repast with nan, which also tasted good if not oven-baked fresh. As for the vindaloo, it was laden with chunks of meat and potato; however, it could have been spicier.
The waitress asks the customer up front the level of desired spiciness. I asked for spicy but, with respect to the seekh kebab, got medium spicy and with respect to the vindalo got slightly spicy. I would also surmise that the vindaloo could have used less tomato and more vinegar. However, I left the restaurant feeling quite pleased.
I ate between lunch and dinner time (thankfully the restaurant doesn't close between 3 and 6pm) so neither the wait staff nor the chef was stressed out by too many customers.
Upon paying the bill, I did notice that prices had risen from those that were posted on the restaurant's website by about 15%. That is normal enough given inflation and, moreover, I didn't even look at the menu; I had already decided what I wanted from the website before I arrived. I paid UAH300 (excluding tip), which, given the ample portions, was value for money except for the jeera rice (rice with cumin), one medium size plate of which cost about UAH40 or $5. This I considered over-priced. (I did not drink alcohol -- only morshinska water without gas, and sweet lassi, as dessert. By the way, noticeably absent as desserts were kulfi and ras malai.)
There are nicer tables with overlooking window views of Kreschatik; otherwise, no view, just a wall. As I chose an unconventional time to eat, I had the pick of the tables.
It is true that the decor of the restaurant is dated; however, I was comfortable there and decor is not high on my list of priorities when dining out alone in Kiev. Your blonde bombshell might object to eating here on the putative grounds that "Indian food is too spicy" but the real reason is that Himalaya is not on Kiev's everchanging unwritten list of top posh, cash-guzzling super trendy meritricious dining hot spots that she can brag to her podrujki that she ate at.
I also agree that the owner was very friendly.
I am not British so I cannot claim that my national cuisine is Indian but I have been living in a former British protectorate for over a decade where 1/3 of the population is South Asian and in which I eat Indian food 100 times per year so my palate is oriented to the proper taste of it. I have been enjoying spicy Indian food for the last thirty years so my recommendations, in this sphere, controlling for variations in personal taste, are probably pretty accurate.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed the food here tonight. The waitress was very friendly and spoke english which made it easier when ordering food. A very pleasant restaurant would come again if I revisit kiev

Reviewed June 27, 2012

I can't comment on the food here as I never got to try it. We tried to eat here 2 nights ago. We were seated quickly and placed our orders. There was then 2 short power cuts where the place was in darkness. We waited 15 mins and our drinks had not arrived, we asked the waitress for them and she asked what had we ordered. We waited another 10 mins and still no drinks or poppadoms. At this point the table next to ours who arrived 15 mins after us were served their drinks. At this point we left. Poor poor service!