“Never book here, under renovation as of July 2013”

Hostel Really Central
and 1 more site!
Hostel Really Central
Ranked #160 of 367 Specialty Lodging in Kiev
Singapore
“Never book here, under renovation as of July 2013”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

I can't believe their mentality and hospitality or should I use this word, honesty ?

I booked a bed in 5 bed dorm through booking com. I sent some emails even right before my arrival such as reconfirmation and payment method, towel query etc. The staff never mentioned that this hostel was currently under renovation.

Upon my arrival in the early morning, I realised that the bell at the door was broken, I had to knock the door hard for minutes to wake up someone. Finally a lady showed up, but the moment the door was open, it was obvious that this hostel was not under situation to accept guests. The lady explained that renovation work was going on and she would take me another hostel at 12:00, because it was 7:00 and she was not expecting me at such an early morning.

My question is how come they did not inform me of renovation ? I am sure that it did not start today. The rule in booking.com says that they accept cancellation. I could have booked another hostel.
Or
I could have gone to the alternative hostel directly if they had told me the reason behind it.
Bringing a heavy suitcase all the way in unfamiliar city for nothing is pretty much unwelcome. I had to come back to hostel after 12:00, which is more than time consuming and ruined my day. What is worse, the alternative hostel, One Step Independence Square hostel is awful. The worst hostel, ever. Unprofessional staff, dirty. In spite of I booked 5 bed dorm, they put me 8 bed dorm. Still I am charged the same rate. Never stay both hostel. It will be horrible mistake

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank mamacita1001

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Hostel Really central in Kiev, from Saturday 8th June to Monday 10th June. it is in a courtyard, in a big apartment block, which was quite intimidating. There is a lift which as I suffer from fear of lifts, i was unable to use it so we used the stairs. We had stayed at the Garagin Hostel in Kiev prior to staying here, and was confused by it being in an apartment block. And on the morning that we left, we were suprised by 2 homeless people sleeping right by the hostels door, which was a surprise.
inside the hostel, the room was a good size and the beds were comfy. One thing I would say is one the bunk beds, there isn't a ladder to get up, so my friend had to literally jump onto my bed to get up there. We didn't use the kitchen when we were there, but it there microwave and a kettle which was outside our room.
The staff were friendly, and helpful, as they supplied us with a taxi on Monday morning. The location is amazing!! Right in the centre of Kiev, and it was great to walk out of the hostel and be right near the beautiful independent square. We had a great time staying at the hostel really central, and we are hoping on coming back to Kiev next year to take up one of their exclursions to Chernoboyl. Thank you to the staff, hopefully see you next year :)

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Pheebz91
London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

As soon as I walked in the staff couldn't of been more helpful. I had no idea where I was and what I was doing in my one night stop over in Kiev before flying out in the morning. Within five mins I knew how where the coffee was and had a map with landmarks circled so I could easily go and explore. The hostel itself is slap bang in the middle of the city centre.

Really friendly staff, very clean and nice environment. Definitely one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in and in terms of the owner and staffs helpfulness it's better than a lot of 4 - 5 stars I've stayed in!

I did see some other reviews that weren't positive about the staff but I have to say that just wasn't my experience. Perhaps another time another day I don't know.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Paul H
Uki, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2011

The hostel is located in central Kiev. Basically, you can go anywhere within short reach from this hostel. The receptionist speak both English and Russian. Free maps and Free internet

Room Tip: Make sure to read notice on the front door, incase you arrive late
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank travelleruk999
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2011

This Hostle is small but full of character!! The owners are freindly and happy to help you with anything you need!! Centrally located (as the name suggests) within walking distance to everything you could need!
The rooms where all clean as was the rest of the hostle, they ask you to take shoes off at the door!! Toilets and bath room where also kept nice and clean!
There are no safes but you get a key to lock your door and the owners never seem to leave so your stuff is safe!!
This is one of the best hostles i have stayed in!!
Avoid using the lift though our friends where stuck in it for an hour! Its only on the second floor so easy to walk!!
Very Fast Free WiFi...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank drobinson
Wiesbaden, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2011

Every morning when I woke up, the girl Daniel would be asking the few of us who were there at the time for money. She would not talk to us unless it was to complain, or to demand money. I have never been in such an uptight hostel where it was just $$$ all the time. Furthermore, she blamed the broken washing machine on a guest when it was broken because it is a piece of crap and they refuse to spend the $ to have it repaired.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank angibbons

Travelers are raving about these Kiev hotels