“Best sushi and Asian fusion in Kyiv”
Review of Grill Asia

Grill Asia
Ranked #209 of 2,091 Restaurants in Kiev
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Immediately as one steps into Grill Asia, two contrasting and yet sympathetic feelings are experienced – warm traditional hospitality and acute conceptual innovation. There are two bridges that lead to different parts of the restaurant, the contemporary design of this space draws in the guest with its unique charm. One feature that makes this comfortable and ultra modern restaurant so exceptional is the sleek open kitchen. There are a wood-burning oven and exposed grill for the preparation of European food, while original Asian dishes are cooked in two large woks and a special steamer. Acquiring the particular meat, seafood, vegetables or other rare and exciting ingredients, of the high quality essential for producing a meal worthy of such a restaurant, is not an easy task. However, with time and patience we are able to find what is needed to enable us to live up to our responsibility of providing the quality meal experience expected by our clients”. Grill Asia is a place with something for everyone, from the Sushi Bar, Indonesian fried noodles and the very popular Nasi Goreng to a seafood grill and oyster bar, as well as delicious ways to end your meal, such as our famous white chocolate cheesecake.
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Too bad it is in a hotel. Otherwise service is great, food is fresh and cooked within sight. Great menu. Chefs are actually from Asia. Delicious. Probably best Satay plate I have ever eaten.

Reviewed January 13, 2012

While the Asia Grill as such is already among the top 3 restaurants in Kiev, the brunch they provide is out of this world. Make sure you will be there at 13:00 latest and each Sunday - you will not regret.

1  Thank Martin P
Reviewed December 23, 2011

Have had many moments of enjoyment in this 5 star hotel restaurant. Everything is just good here. Try the Sunday Brunch!

Reviewed July 9, 2011

My family and I recently enjoyed the Sunday brunch at the Hyatt Regency (Kyiv, Ukraine) Asia Grill on May 29th, 2011.

There were nine people in our party, different nationalities, ages and food tastes, but everybody had a wonderful experience and we are definitely coming back! (Perhaps at EURO 2012 if we are lucky...)

Because it is a very popular place, reservations are encouraged, so we made ours ten days in advance.

When our picturesque group, (Ukrainians, Canadians & Caymanians), got together at the entrance to the Hyatt, we were pleasantly surprised by the good manners and courtesy of the security staff at the entrance to the hotel - this is a big deal for Kyiv, believe me! Already in a good mood, we were led to the restaurant "by our noses" - the delicious smell of freshly cooked food and exotic spices mingled with the comfortable aroma of home made foods from my ethnic homeland. I knew then and there that it was the right choice for us to have come here for brunch!

Our party proceeded to have one of the most memorable gastronomic experiences in Kyiv!

We noticed that the older generation preferred European dishes and the younger one went for Asian dishes, and there were so many to chose from!

Though too numerous to list, we were delighted to sample the scrumptious selection of Seafood, the Oyster bar with both smoked salmon and smoked salmon roe accompanied by little blinis - what a wonderful Slavic combination, fresh oysters chucked to order with the usual condiments, salted herring, shrimp salad, etc. There was a delectable assortment of cheeses, cold cuts (my favourite was the thinly and perfectly sliced pink prosciutto taken from the entire prosciutto boned ham), home baked breads, dried fruit, nuts and fresh salad bar. For those who prefer hot food, there was a whole counter to choose from: including Ukrainian favourites - roast pork with all the works, white (!!!) asparagus with Hollandaise sauce, perfect garlic mashed potatoes and crunchy steamed colourful vegetables, fish fillets and prime cuts of meat grilled to order... Just pure heaven!

There was a selection of fresh sushi and sashimi which brought an immediate smile to our teenagers' faces. The Tom Yum Goong soup and cold Asian salads were so tasty that both older and younger generations had repeat helpings. Even the most stubborn Ukrainian relatives agreed that Asia Grill's stir fries, hot stir fried noodles and short ribs were not only enticing to look at while being cooked, (referring to the restaurant's concept of "open kitchen"), but well worth eating (coming from a 67 year old Ukrainian grandmother it is THE ultimate compliment!)

I honestly am lost at words when it comes to the desserts... Unlimited ice-cream with numerous flavours and toppings including my favourite "raspberry", tasty cookies and yummy "petite fours" to choose from (my favourite was mango cheese cake), fantastic selection of British candies, lots of fresh fruit, and to top it all off - a chocolate fountain with marshmallows... I would expect the display like this somewhere in a really posh restaurant in North America, so both Kyiv in general and Asia Grill in particular get extra points for that!

The serving staff were young, enthusiastic and attentive, they have our thanks again. The head chef Markus, (sorry if the name is misspelled), came to our table to ask how we liked the food and whether we had any suggestions. Our only suggestions at the time was that there was too much food and it was too delicious! By the end of the brunch we were barely able to walk - but let's blame the chief for that :-)

What makes dining at Asia Grill even more unique and interesting from any other brunch that I have ever experienced is not only the first class food and wonderful service, but the sophisticated touch of live music as well (soft jazz played by a very talented local band).

We shared the restaurant with foreign businessmen in suits entertaining their clients, Ukrainian housewives having a relaxed lunch and showing off their latest designer outfits and jewellery to their friends (kind of Ukrainian "Sex and the City"), a birthday party, a young couple on a date, (add to that our family re-union) --- so the clientele of Asia Grill was as different and eclectic as the food served - but somehow it all did work together, and everybody left satisfied.

The cost of brunch was US $86.00 per person + gratuities (up to the patrons). Considering the quality of the food and the level of service, I thought it was a bargain. Did I mention that "all you can drink" Italian Prosecco was included together with tea/coffee and mineral water in the price?

So if you are ever in Kyiv, I would heartily recommend this restaurant - it is good for special occasions and family/friends gatherings. With all that good food and ever-flowing Prosecco, (an Italian white wine - generally a Dry or Extra Dry sparkling wine - which more recently become popular as a less expensive alternative to Champagne), it would make the perfect place for a romantic date indeed.

My only suggestion to Asia Grill would be to have a separate "name tag" for every dish presented. Nowadays every restaurant has a listing of dishes being served, but we would have preferred that the dishes be named and described individually.

Ukraine is a wonderful country and well worth discovering. It is very safe: (just use your normal common sense like everywhere else), and the hospitality of the people is incredible. Ukrainians are a beautiful, Christian, well educated people with an ancient history to be proud of and blessed with survivor skills and a sense of humour. Did I mention they can cook as well? Well then, you'll have to just come to the Asia Grill at the Hyatt Regency in Kyiv - I know that we will be returning as soon as we can!

2  Thank caymana
Reviewed June 18, 2011

This is a very elegant place to have a meal; very expensive but great quality. The food is perfectly presented and delicious. The steaks are fabulous and I love the Asian-European fusion menu. I cannot wait to visit again.