“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 111 Hotels in Kiev
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

The quality if the rooms and the service at the front desk and the Executive Lounge were all great. The quality of the breakfast was good too. The service at the concierge was inconsistent: the head concierge was great, however. I would definitely return and recommend it.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Gary S
892Kateryna, Manager at InterContinental Kiev, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sending us your kind feedback and for choosing InterContinental Kiev for your recent stay. We are happy to hear you liked our rooms, breakfast and service.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Hutchinson, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

This hotel's location cannot be beat. It's in the same square as St. Michael's, one of the most magnificent monastery/cathedrals in the city.

The staff at this hotel are superb. The check-in agents were efficient and friendly and there was always an oversupply of them, which made waits non-existent.

The bell staff were very helpful as well, especially when I asked for materials to pack the two tubs of honey I bought (honey is a Ukrainian specialty that I wanted to take home). I had asked for packing tape which they did not have, but they provided shrink wrap (and newspapers and bags) which did a better job than the tape ever would have. My honey arrived home securely in its tubs and the rest of my suitcase contents were unscathed, despite British Airways and American Airlines sending that suitcase on 4 day journey apart from me.

However, the cream of the staff was Natalia in the lounge. She was super-helpful, very friendly, and simply a joy to have around. Since I was in Kiev with friends, we spent long hours hanging out in the lounge. The spread in the lounge was quite good for breakfast, decent for afternoon tea (nice espresso machine, nice pastries), and sumptuous for the evening spread which was sufficient for a supper (forget hors d'oeuvres!).

I stay in a lot of hotels (I am Starwood Platinum-75, Hyatt Diamond, and Intercontinental RA) and this is definitely one of my favorites. It's an excellent choice for your stay in Kiev.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

I would definitely like to stay here again, and recommend the King Club Exec rooms that are a great size and have good views, and may even have small balcony.

Long weekend stay. Lovely older building and ambience, nice large open entry area (floor 1). , I had club lounge access (2nd floor for club room) so did not use the hotel restaurants, but did look in at breakfast time, and choices looked very good.
Looked at two room types, King Club Deluxe and King Club Executive. Whilst Deluxe is ok, the next room up, King Club Exec is far bigger, a single room, in some hotels I have stayed, similar big single rooms are called Junior Suite (or Studio Suite). Both room types have a large bathroom with both bath and separate shower cubicles.

Club Lounge offerings very good, nice coffee machine, one of the best I have used, and great decor. Nicely laid tables just like in a restaurant for both breakfast and evening 'dinner'. even using wedgwood china. I say dinner as provided soup, 2 main dishes. Lovely cakes also, but no one wanted to be first to cut into cake. In evening also Beers, Spirits, Wines, Fizzy Wines 1830-2030.
so often not touched. Staff very nice, helpfu and attentive, but only seemed one staff around anytime doing everything.

Usual hotel room facilities, work table + chair, Flatscreen TV, good choice of pay movies (limited international TV channels), minibar with colas/water (no alcohol) is free in Club rooms and Higher, tea/coffee facilities, plenty of cupboard space etc.
The larger Exec room has extra sofa, table, larger bathrooms, entry area with table/storage etc.

View from hotel from higher floors, 7-10 (top floor 11 is a bar ) are lovely. Hotel seems triangular in shape so view depends on room location. Hotel is on top of a hill, so viewing afar is easy.

The top floor roof bar has a lovely balcony on 2 sides. Alas only open from 18.00 hours, and my stay was a bit cloudy and it got dark 18.20, but in summer, must be a great viewing treat, whilst sipping a beer, cocktail etc.

Self walking tour from hotel is easy, as is hop-on-hop-off bus tour. River cruise addition possible depending on time of year, I got lucky, as the weather is warmer than usual this late in year, so cruises still running mid October, cruises normally stop end September. You can catch the cruise off the walking tour, and cafes right by for post cruise drinks.
If walking it is hard to get lost, if you keep going uphill you have to hit the hotel.

Wifi was ok, but annoyingly kept disconnecting. ok across a weekend, but would have been very annoying if working during my stay. When connected speed was ok, not that I stream or download movies/data etc.

Aircon could be considered noisy by some, runs intermittently, so if one is a light sleeper could be annoying. I tuned it out I guess, as I slept well. I certainly noticed the aircon during daytime hours in the room. (Then again this issue is quite general across non-modern hotels in older buildings )

Found most of the staff excellent, especially the very helpful concierge. Lounge staff very friendly and tried hard, but seemed to be working solo shifts. Top floor bar staff also excellent.
Less impressed with reception/checkin staff who were OK, but not great, and was the only area I feel let down this hotel. .

Metered Taxi from KBP airport meant to be circa 240-250 UAH (local currency, 1euro = 11 UAH ), hit bad traffic city centre on my arrival, so took 90 minutes plus and cost 280UAH. Return nice and quick, left hotel 11.30, took 45 minutes.

Room Tip: Book room with club lounge access, or purchase access on arrival. OK Lounge breakfast + superb even...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
InterContinentalKyiv, Manager at InterContinental Kiev, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with detailed feedback following your recent stay.

We are delighted to hear that you find our staff excellent, friendly and helpful. It is a pleasure to receive so nice comments about our rooms and Club Lounge.

We are sorry for the service shortfalls you experienced on your current stay. We will be sharing and addressing these issues with the relevant department and ensure you will see the improvements made on your return.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. Such valuable reviews are very important and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Good location, friendly staff, amazing 5 star rooms and a delicious breakfast. The hotel has much more too offer like a bar and a spa but unfortunately I didn´t have time to check these out. Highly recommended for a perfect stay in Kiev!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
InterContinentalKyiv, Manager at InterContinental Kiev, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sending us your kind feedback and for choosing InterContinental Kiev for your recent stay. We are happy to hear that you liked location, staff and amazing 5 star rooms.

We would very much look forward to have you staying with us again.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

This was my first trip to Kiev and I stayed 3 nights at this property. I prefer 4-5 star hotels and this one was as good as any 5 star property that I have ever stayed in. My trip was for pleasure but this hotel is perfect for any type of trip. If my travels bring me back to Kiev, I will definitely stay here again. I arrived at the Intercontinental after flying for 16+ hours from Los Angeles. The night manager, Victor and staff provided me with a first class check in (keeping in mind that I was exhausted and in a new country). After checking in, I stopped by their on site 24 hour bank to exchange money. The room was extremely elegant and cozy. We went to the top floor bar each night for a few drinks and were extremely impressed. All of the staff was great and everyone spoke fluent English. The location was prime and close to so many attractions in Kiev. The hotel provided additional security in the elevators as we had to insert our key to access our floor. The breakfast buffet was outstanding from the selection, quality, down to the service. My only complaints were minor. One minor complaint was that we were on the floor below the bar and could hear a little noise but it was very minor. To sum up this hotel: 5 star service, secure and cozy rooms, ample 24 hour onsite amenities/services.

Room Tip: In general, rooms tend to be small in Kiev. You may hear some noise from the bar on the 10th floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Marina di Castagneto Carducci, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Stayed two nights on business, location is very central and next to several good restaurants.
Reception staff very helpful and hard working...suggest to speed up check out procedures which at the moment require the staff to print too much and staple everything together slowing down the customer.
Excellent bar staff, always smiling and very customer and service oriented and I am referring to the girls....
Rooms are fairly large with good size bathrooms and overall very comfortable.
Would certainly return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
InterContinentalKyiv, Manager at InterContinental Kiev, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at InterContinental Kiev. We are happy to hear that you liked our staff, location and restaurants.
We have taken your comments on board regarding our check out procedure, and we hope, you will see the improvements made on your return.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to our hotel on your next visit.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

I returned to Kiev and the Intercontinental at the beginning of October 2013 after having tried another of Kiev's top class hotels. There is nothing to match the IC. The staff are exceptionally helpful, the hotel sparkles, the rooms are spacious, the beds extraordinarily comfortable. There is great attention to detail. The sockets in the rooms are easily accessible for charging phones etc. A/C is very effective and quiet. The location is great. The spa is on a par with any I have been to in other European capitals. An all round great hotel. It is not cheap but I think it gives very good value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the square on the front of the hotel where the views are best or alternatively...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at InterContinental Kiev. It is always great to receive positive comments and I will certainly pass them on to our team.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to our hotel on your next visit.