“Probably the best hotel in Kiev”

InterContinental Kiev
Ranked #2 of 111 Hotels in Kiev
London, United Kingdom
“Probably the best hotel in Kiev”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The last and most magnificent of the first Western business hotels to be built in Kiev after a long period of local infighting and mostly poorly refurbished Soviet hotels, the "Intercon" now has more and very serious contenders for best in Kiev. It remains my favourite however for a number of reasons: 1. The location is superb. It sits next to St. Michaels with long views of St. Sophia and from the spectatular roof terrace, St. Andrews. The soaring ministry of foreign affairs and diplomatic academy are adjacent and it is literally around the block to the the one touristy street in Kiev, the cobble stoned Andrissky with its cute restaurants and art and memorabalia sellers. 2. Hidden behind all those is a long swath of green with a spectacular view over Podil to the river which is ideal for a stroll or a jog. 3. The lobby and reception areas are slightly cramped for space in areas so no soaring vistas on entering, but that is made to work with ornate and heavy materials and fabrics in the lounges giving a very rich coziness which befits a Ukrainian hotel 3. The rooms are very plush in a tasteful way, the internet is free and really works, and although the contents of the mini-bar has deminished, in many packages it is free or at least included. 4. An unusually good selection of sushi and italian cold cuts compliment the usual full selection at breakfast. Service is fast, almost too fast. 5. Ambassador membership ($200) pays for itself with one weekend stay as a night is thrown in and depending upon thirst and appetite, the generous selection of food and drink provided in the executive lounge could put you many dollars ahead!

Room Tip: Higher floors overlooking St. Michaels are the best for combination of view and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank thepshap
InterContinentalKyiv, Manager at InterContinental Kiev, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking you time and sharing your experience with us. We are glad to hear the you likes our location, interior, food verity and service. We will pass your great comments to our staff. Recognition is very important to us and it is a pleasure to see that we answered your expectations on that manner. We look forward to welcome you in InterContinental Kiev.
Best regards,
Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Great service, friendly staff, bent over backwards to accommodate. Stop complaining about prices, you wouldn't bat an eyelash to pay $6 for a beer in your home country. Yes its a bit high, but the atmosphere is right and the service is terrific.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Bagelstein
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking you time and sharing you feedback with us. We are please to hear that we have met your expectations. We look forward to welcome you back in the nearest future.
Regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I went to Kiev for a long weekend to see friends and to go out at the end of March. I stayed in IC and found their service outstanding.

In particular, reception was always very helpful and charming. Even though they had a group of 200 people arriving on the day of my departure, they found a way to extend my check-out time (for free).

Concierge service was fantastic. Not only they gave me a list of options for a night out and made a reservation but they also took care of the "deposit delivery". In Kiev's night clubs one has to bring a deposit to a club in advance in order to guarantee the reservation (clearly not much trust there...). All I had to do was to give money to an IC's concierge when I was enjoying my drink in the IC's bar on the 11th floor. No further effort with regards to logistics was required from me (no queues, no negotiations to get a good table, etc).

The room was very nice, as expected.

Free bar was a pleasant extra, but it had only soft drinks.

Overall, I had a great experience and would love to stay in IC Kiev again.

P.S. The fact that the concierge and the reception staff referred to me by my name (without ever asking me for it!) was very pleasant and made me feel well looked after :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank KonstantinS289
InterContinentalKyiv, Manager at InterContinental Kiev, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing with us your feedback. We are delightful to hear that you liked our Reception and Concierge services. We will pass your great comments to our colleagues. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the nearest future!

Kind regards,
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

No doubt that it is a stunning building and you can see that a lot of money was spent to build it. Unfortunately I found the service did not live up to the building and brand.

Was only one girl on reception when I checked in, no doorman, the snow had not been cleared from the main entrance so had to walk through melting ice etc

Great location but they need to raise the bar a bit

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank djenk_moscow
InterContinentalKyiv, Manager at InterContinental Kiev, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments with us. We are pleased to hear that you like the hotel building and appreciated your comment about the service. Your feedback is very important for us and helps to improve our service. We are looking forward in living up to your expectations with your next stay with us and we remain at your disposal.

Best Regards,
Rauma, Western Finland, Finland
Reviewed March 21, 2013

You can't really get anything more for a regular room in a hotel. Room is nicely furnished, its very clean, everything is in great condition, some drinks and snacks are available at no cost in the minibar.

The bed is excellent, and the options for different pillows are enormous.

The only negative side to the hotel is that the prices in the lobby bar skybar are on the same level as the prices for the rooms, so everything costs quite much. Other than that, if you need a perfect night sleep, this is the choice @ Kiev.

PS. Always nice to get served champagne at breakfast.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Hannu85
InterContinentalKyiv, Manager at InterContinental Kiev, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for you to taking time and sharing with us your experience. We are pleased to hear that you enjoy your stay with us. We are taking on board your comments about our prices in order to improve our service and meet your expectations during your next stay.
We are look forward to welcoming you at InterContinental Kiev in the nearest future.
Best regards,
Hotel Management.
kuala lumpur
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

2 nights on a businesa trip, i arrived in the cosy intercontinental hotel kiev. Fast check up, attentive concierge, elegant rooms, fast Wifi, i like the free minibar, although stocked with the minimum item it is a nice attention. I used the gym, which is a bit small an a labyrinth to get access there ! Pricey lobby bar an restaurants but high quality... I shall come back

• Stayed March 2013
InterContinentalKyiv, Manager at InterContinental Kiev, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for the review. It is a pleasure to read that you have appreciated our concierge’s hospitality and the quality of services. Moreover, it is a pleasure that you enjoyed our free mini-bar and Wi-Fi.
We will be looking forward to welcome you back at InterContinental Kiev.
Kind Regards,
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I spent the second night in Kiev at the InterContinental - it was supposed to be a one night trip, and the advance purchase price was not far off what I pay to stay at the Radisson Blu, so I figured why not! This brand is normally over my budget, but once in a while doesn't hurt.

Check-in was easy enough. I chose not to leave a credit card deposit but pay as I went. This meant that checking out was incredibly easy: I just dropped off my cardkey and went. Internet was included, as were the contents of the mini-bar, which I thought was a nice touch (it had just soft drinks, but that's fine by me). My room was had nice furniture, high ceilings and a very comfortable bed.

I decided to eat in the lobby lounge as I was travelling solo, and it was bitterly cold. One soft drink, a hot chocolate and a caesar salad came to almost £50, which I should have been prepared for given Kiev prices, but it seemed extraordinarily expensive. The hotel is located in the city centre, so there are pleasant walks, and I breakfasted in a nearby cafe.

If a smoker, there is one gas chamber on the second floor, which is pretty vile (not quite chipped formica tables but not far off) or it's outside in the cold. I will knock the habit on the head one of these days!

For the price, it would be nice if the staff broke into a smile occasionally. They were perfectly pleasant on reception, but staff in the lobby lounge seemed to have a perpetual sneer.

Room Tip: My room overlooked an internal courtyard: not particularly inspiring.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking time and sharing your feedback with us. It is a pleasure to read that you appreciated convenient location of the hotel, rooms and free mini-bar. We have taken your remarks on board regarding our prices in the Lobby Lounge Bar.
We will be looking forward to see you again during your next visit to Kiev.
Kind Regards,