“Needs improvement”
Review of Belgrade Zoo

Belgrade Zoo
Ranked #23 of 220 things to do in Belgrade
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I don't like animals being kept in cages for people's amusement. But if we must have a zoo, I guess this one is not too bad. The number of species is significant and the animals look healthy. Most of the animals are very friendly and peaceful, but the condition of large predatory animals is troubling. Most of the wild cats have small cages insufficient for their daily needs. The bears and most herbivores probably have the best houses with exception of wild goats who are too great in numbers.

For me the two coolest animals in the entire zoo are the large raven and the small otter. With the later one you can have quite a fun playing "catch" if you find nice flat stones which she can squeeze out through her glass walls with her quite little fingers.

During the hottest summer months the stench in the zoo in unbearable, particularly on the high grounds, so I don't recommend the visit in this period.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I have been to Belgrade zoo a quite few times as a child. I was born and bread in Belgrade, and always remember the zoo as a beautiful place I used to visit with my family. I guess it's changed a lot after all those years and I'm certain it looks much better now. I'm planning to visit my country next month and will be most definitely visiting the zoo. Looking forward to that.

2  Thank Biljana1313
Reviewed November 3, 2012

spent a nice afternoon here transfixed by many of the animals who on the whole looked well looked after.

1  Thank spillthebeanz
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We had nothing to do that afternoon and walked just past the Belgrade Zoo. My boyfriend suggested to have a look, why not? I love animals, so we bought tickets and walked in.

The zoo is not big, a lot of things are quite old & not well maintained. Heaps of animals were kept in very small space within cages and walls. They didn't look happy. I know in general animals are all not happy staying in zoos rather than natural environment, however, zoo management should provide as good condition as possible for animals.

Having said that, Belgrade/Serbia is still behind surrounding countries in terms of economy and social systems, when people still struggle achieving better living standard, how can we help the animals?

1  Thank OliZ12
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I love animals very much,and do not like to see them in the cages,but in every ZOO animals are the prisoners.Still,I love to see them.
Belgrade ZOO is not great comparing to some greatest European ZOOs,but,with its 250 species,it is one of the best in the region.We spent a nice day there,fee is very acceptable,there are some beautiful and pretty rare animals,but I do not like conditions in which most of that animals live.
It is really concrete and cages for the most of animals.That is sad,and I hope they will do something about that.