“Good for train station”

Ranked #29 of 83 Hotels in Belgrade
yorkshire
“Good for train station”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

Hotel is across the road from Station but there is not much else of any interest in the area unless you want slot machine bars, it is however only a short taxi ride to the River Sava, the Sava centre & i believe a shopping centre allthough we didnt go there. The reception area is small but friendly & efficiant & we were checked in quickly, our room (no 28) was on the second floor & there is a lift. The room was a fairly decent size with high ceilings & 2 windows, one looking out onto the courtyard which is a nice view if you dont look up to the scruffy apartments behind. Allthough this was a non smoking room it did actually smell of smoke,we had a large comfy double bed & one single which were made daily, there is no bath but bathroom was clean with a good shower & there are plenty of sockets in the room & a TV. We only ate breakfast in the hotel which was ok with the usual continental plus eggs & some sort of sausage & we did use the bar, barman was very helpfull in advising us of a good place to go. We went to the old town which was busy & atmospheric one night & the River restaurants another night, booking is essensial if going here as we couldn't get in to the decent places & ended up in something like someones front room with the worst service you could imagine! Overall I would stay here again for a short while as it was clean & adequate for our needs.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking courtyard
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank millypink

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

The hotel is situated directly opposite the station. The street is quite noisy, but our room (№21) was facing to the courtyard, so I do not know how noisy the rooms overlooking the station.
We had a spacious two-room suite for three persons. Both rooms had a television set. The bathroom shower cabin was quite large. I was surprised that there are no bathroom amenities (shower caps, shampoo, etc.) - only soap.
The breakfast was quite ample. Nothing special, but there are plenty to choose.
Reception staff speak good English, willing to help.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank OLW
Santa Cruz, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

This hotel is quite easy to find when arriving by bus or train as it is across from the train and bus station. We had a room on the court yard and it was quiet. The breakfast was quite good with an expansive selection of breads, cereals, eggs, meats and pastries along with juices, coffee and teas. The room was neither large nor small and the sink had a hole (it was broken) in the side so when I decided to hand wash a few items one evening I was rather surprised to find, later, the water had run out onto the floor. It is a good thing the bathroom floors have drains in them. The weather was cool and threatened to rain and the room was dreary so it forced us out to explore. Sometimes it would be too easy to stay in on a bad day and we can do that at home. Why travel and stay in a hotel room all day??? The best thing about the Belgrade Hotel was the staff. We talked with two lovely young women, Borca from Croatia and Zorana from Montenegro at the front desk, whenever they were on shift. They gave us directions and suggestions to local eaterys. They were both very nice and helpful. We had dinner at the hotel one evening. The restaurant was practically empty except for us. The food was very good and the service excellent. We think it was empty because it was off season and because we were in the non-smoking part of the restaurant. It seems many of the people in Belgrade smoke. One evening we ate at a restaurant in the Bohemian part of Beograde and sat in the non-smoking section. Around the time we received our food they removed the NO SMOKING sign and placed a maniac smoking couple in the middle of non-smoking tables. It was obscene at the time. I can laugh about it now but at the time my sinuses became swollen and I lost my sense of smell. I could not taste what I thought would be a very good $$$ dinner. It was sad. Alas, I can not recommend that restaurant but am afraid it is the practice in Belgrade. The cigarette habit wins. I would stay at this hotel for its location and convenience, its price, breakfast, cleanliness and staff and I would have a local meal here as they have weekly specials and a REAL non-smoking section.
It was a little intimadating visiting Belgrade. I knew nothing of the language nor how to read the language. The young people at the desk spoke very good English and were very helpful. To set off each day with a good breakfast and good directions and hope was so helpful. Then each evening to have those same young people awaiting you, wanting to hear your story became so comforting. It rounded out our trip to Belgrade. We left by shuttle then plane and these same young desk people gave us the information to the shuttle. We plan to go back. It's a fantastic city.

Room Tip: I think it is quieter on the court in back. The front building looks more elegant though.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank nonexistent
Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2012

The hotel has an excellent location opposite the train station, and therefore it is a perfect choice for those who have not much time in Belgrade. Because of its central location the noise can be a bit disturbing in the rooms in the main building, but the building in the yard is completely quiet.

I went to Belgrade on impulse and we just walked into this hotel without any preparations or planning on a late December evening, asking for a double room. As I opened my purse, to my great surprise their question was "Are you paying for both of you?", and they seemed to be stunned by the fact that it was exactly my intention.

Anyway, we were given a smoking room in another building in the back of the yard, with no view, but at a discount price, especially after I stated that I'm willing to pay in euros is cash. We got into our room that strangely for a smoking room had no ashtray in it, but after calling the reception we were given one in a few minutes. The room was relatively small but clean, and reasonably furnished, it was quite satisfactory for its price. (60 euros) We were also given a discount voucher to the hotel's restaurant which we didn't use in the end, and the breakfast was also included in the price (we skipped that).

In the morning my partner had to leave before me, and when I went to check out it turned out that they issued the invoice to his name, despite the fact that it was me who paid for the room. Putting it together with the things I experienced when I checked in, it seems that their receptionists cannot accept the idea that women can be financially independent, and/or pay bills. Personally, I found it extremely humiliating.

But apart from personal feelings, the hotel is centrally located, reasonably priced, and can be a good choice for stopovers, even if I don't intend to return.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Regentag
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

Excellent location opposite the train station. The wifi was the best I've ever experienced in a hotel, very fast and reliable. We stayed in an annexe room, which was basic but comfortable.
It was very clean and the staff were nice and helpful.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ralucca
Belgrade, Serbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

Excellent location looking over the main city square but noise from the square could be heard all night. Friendly helpful staff and good restaurant with a super buffet breakfast. We would definitely revisit this hotel when next in Belgrade.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mike M
Nis, Serbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2011

I have had many opportunities to stay in this hotel, where I feel very comfortable. The building itself is old but refurbished and rooms are very comfortable and well furnished. The hotel is nice place to stay in addition to friendly staff, its location is very good for stopovers and those who come to Belgrade for official business. It provides satellite television, free high speed Internet access and rooms are very clean. The breakfast is traditional and once you come here, you can experience a lot of Serbian food and hospitality. In the same restaurant where the breakfast is served, you can get variety of traditional food for lunch and dinner at discounted price.
Rooms is annex building are smaller but rented at economical rate (15-20%), cheaper than the ones in main building where you have an elevator. Climbing the steps is not difficult if you are young and at middle age when traveling light. Rooms in main building are a bit bigger and more comfy but if you are unlucky to get one of those facing the main road, you would not be able to sleep until the traffic is less crowded (after 10PM). An advice for those who get a room facing the road is not to open the windows and get a room on a higher floor, then you will sleep as a baby ;-)
I have to say that beds are very comfortable and after you take a walk along Belgrade's street you will be having nice rest and good sleep. There are always enough pillows for those who need them. AC is available and during the winter time there is good heating system, so even travelers from hot countries can survive the winter in Balkans... So no worries.
Once you stay at the hotel for the first time, I am quite confident you would stay here during your next visit, as it provides very good service comparing the price you are paying for the room. This is the best three star hotel, with the best price in Belgrade. If you compare similar hotels in any other European Metropolis, the cost would be higher and the service provided would be at lower level.
Last but not least, for those who come often on official business or have a stopover in Belgrade, if you stay in BG City hotel, you can get discount rate of 10% and frequent guest treatment.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in main building not facing the main street.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo