“Nice adventure to find it”
Review of Stara Hercegovina

Stara Hercegovina
Ranked #72 of 1,457 Restaurants in Belgrade
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed October 19, 2013

As a first time tourist in Belgrade I wanted to experience a real Serbian restaurant with locals and traditional fare. Armed with my Google map I set out to walk there. Be advised that the street names (in some version of cyrillic) are difficult and the landmarks that Google referenced are not helpful. Eventually I asked a policeman and found my way. The street schematic on the Google map was accurate. Once there in midafternoon I asked for an English speaking person and was seated promptly. The menu was not in English but I recognized goulash and ordered it and a local beer. Very soon my meal arrived. The goulash was served in a large bowl...lots of meat, potatoes, and sauce. The flavors were not pronounced, but the food was tasty. The waiter brought a hard, hearty roll which was good for dipping in the sauce. Be advised that there is a small charge for the bread. I thought the meal and the experience of getting there was actually quite delightful. Several patrons were seated outside along the sidewalk....a nice alternative....but the atmosphere indoors was also wonderful.

1  Thank RogerIowa

Reviewed October 9, 2013

If you love meat, you have to go there! The restaurant is little far away from the city center but worth a visit. Is a big restaurant with full of local people and the waiters speak English very well. We had a smoked pork steak which was PERFECT and very big portion, not one but two big steaks in the plate and a escalope–Karadjordje style garnished very big too, very crispy served with soft white sause, delicious! Also we had a beer and we paid only 15 euro!! I definately recommend it for local cheap food!

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Having read the reviews on TA I'm wondering if I actually went to the same restaurant? Of all the places we ate in Belgrade this was by far the most disappointing. I appreciate as a non-meat eater it probably isn't the best place to come but we wanted to try traditional Serbian food, and I eat fish so I thought I'd be OK. We were there on a Saturday evening and the choice of food was incredibly limiting in that practically everything I tried to order they didn't have on the menu. Beetroot salad, not today, pepper salad, not today, my boyfriend resorted to French fries to go with his meat, not today. Why have items on the menu if you're not going to serve them, and had they run out of potatoes that they couldn't make chips? Staff weren't particularly helpful, we put this down to their not speaking much English and our lack of Serbian. Portions were huge but not much consolation as much of my fish was inedible - four pieces of deep-fried fish that was so boney and grizzly I struggled to find the actual fish in a couple of the pieces. And prices aren't that cheap by Belgrade standards. We chose to go here on our last night in Belgrade which was a shame as up until then we'd been pleasantly surprised by just how good the food was in the city. We had an amazing dinner at Homa. Go there instead!

2  Thank MaxineCl
Reviewed September 4, 2013

"Old school" Serbian kafana: noisy but friendly atmosphere, diversity of guests, excellent service, staff charming and outgoing, excellent food (unless you are vegetation or on a diet. Simply, one of few truly authentic old Belgrade restaurants. Do not miss this place

1  Thank jelenameda
Reviewed September 4, 2013

In the old core of Belgrade, in the municipality called Stari Grad, is placed renowned restaurant
Stara Herzegovina, formerly named Staro Skopje. At the corner of streets Vojvode Dobrnjca
and Carigradska, with sight to the plesant little park across the street, that place has gotten
a long time ago,very deserved and very high grade of cuisine and serving stuff among
the other numerous restaurants in Belgrade.
You can take Your sitting place either outside at the massive wooden tables and cosy
wooden chairs, or inside, amid the old pictures hung on the white, always freshly coated with lime, walls. Tables and chairs are also wooden covered with pleasant tablecloth. Pictures represent the old life,different events and notable persons throughout the history of Herzegovina.

Very popular meals are : the so called "tripice" or "škembići"(kind of intestinal pig meat), chicken ribs, smoked beefsteaks, boiled cabbage
with tomatoes,boiled beef, then there is also meals of different river fishes, fried potatoes with Karadjordjeva šnicla or Bečka šnicla(kind of steaks made of pig meat) and of course old serbian
delicacy,the so called "mućkalica", "vešalica" made also of pig meat and very spicy.
There are as well, many tasty boiled vegetable meals ("sarma"(cabbage with grind meat), "pasulj" with pig ribs(bean),"punjene paprike" (filled with meat vegetables called paprika)
I do not know term in english for paprika, of long shape red, yellow or green.
Also there are the different sort of soups made of lamb and calf.