“Russian River Cruise - enriching experience”
Review of Volga River

Volga River
Ranked #936 of 19,928 things to do in Russia
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Through VacationsToGo, we took Gate 1 cruise from St. Petersburg to Moscow. It lasted 12 days. It was cheap, less than 2K per person (cruise no air, everything but drinks included). We slept on the ship. The cabin was modest, but fully satisfactory. No problems with plumbing, hot water, etc. It is easy to gain weight because we were served plenty of good food.
We saw St. Petersburg (tour of the city, Hermitage, canal cruise (optional), then we took an optional trip to Pushkin and Peterhof (just stunning). Going up the river, we saw Mandrogi and Kizhi, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Other sites included: the Monastery of St. Cyril in Goritsy, Yaroslavl, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Uglich, one of Russia's oldest cities and finally Moscow. There was a very good city tour and a visit to Kremlin. Additionally, we took an optional tour to Tretyakov Gallery and The City at Night tour including visit to the Moscow metro.
The company VacationsToGo did a very good job. .I tried to book my trip to Russia with other companies, but the process was long and frustrating, Then, I called them and within 0.5 hr I got all information, booked the trip and paid for it. Within two days I got the invitation letter for the visa, then all the vouchers, a reminder just before the trip and the "Welcome back" letter. Excellent job. No problems, no errors, no confusion. This is very important when one travels to a foreign land.
Additionally, the people working for us in Russia (Tanya and Katya) were fantastic. We were very well taken care of, including personal pick up from the airport and being put back to the airport with a person guiding us all the way up to the "passengers, only" limit. Nothing went wrong, everything worked liked a clock. And they were so nice and warm. I definitely recommend the trip, but be prepared that this is Russia, not North America. Do not expect burgers and other American staple food.

8  Thank Grazyna W

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Beautiful embankment walk with beaches and sunbathers and fountains and park areas. Amazing boat rides available - can bring your own food. FUN!

Reviewed May 10, 2013

The Volga River is the largest river in Europe. Make sure to check it out when you are in Samara. We love our river. We go swimming in it in summer while the rest of the year we enjoy the view. Hope you are also impressed when you see it. The downtown riverside area is like a nice park where long walks can be taken, weather permitting.
In winter people may be seen walking, skiing, or driving across the river. I would not recommend that unless you are with someone who for sure knows what he/she is doing.

1  Thank Anastasya75
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Beautiful, wide river as they write about it in books. You can spend hours on the beach, looking at her shores.

1  Thank mike_gaf1967
Reviewed April 26, 2013

There are 4 visual memories that come to me when I think of my Volga cruise. The "oscar-like" statutes at the summer palace in St. Petersburg, the onion-dome churches, the bright-colored houses along the shoreline and the tour of the Kremlin in Moscow. The cruise I took my group on was with a Russian tour company. It was not as "westernized" as many cruise lines we usually use to book the Volga. None of my group members were disappointed because we felt like we had the true culture of the people including amazing entertainment. We had many excited moments that we talk about when remembering our cruise. We came back with inexpensive but well-made handcrafts such as crocheted jackets and dolls. Onboard, we bought many versions of Russian Nesting Dolls. I treasure them.

Among the many remembered sights while in Russia, it surprised me to see young ladies in Moscow dressed to the "nines" walking in sleek high heels to and from their workplaces. I guess this isn't what I expected.

I've loved every visit I made with my groups to St. Petersburg, Moscow and the Volga River...Loved the cruise I originally took although the meals left a lot to be desired and it was difficult at times to get questions answered from the crew. Yes...great memories. However, when I cruise the Volga River again, I will book with a company such as AMA Waterways or Viking River Cruises.

4  Thank PhyllisD534